Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Oh my Sammy "the corker" caught

aREDSKIN

Associated Press

CHICAGO -- Chicago Cubs star Sammy Sosa was ejected in the first inning of Tuesday night's game against Tampa Bay right when umpires found cork in his shattered bat.

The Cubs had runners at second and third when Sosa broke his bat with a grounder to second that at first appeared to drive in a run.

But crew chief Tim McClelland gathered with the other three umpires to examine the bat. Cubs manager Dusty Baker came out and the umpires showed the bat to him.

Mark Grudzielanek was sent back to third base, the run was wiped off the board and Sosa was ejected as he stood in the dugout.

Sammy

What kills me is that his sorry a$$ comes out and says it was his batting practice bat..:doh:

I played college baseball and my brother played in the pros, you DONT use a lighter bat during batting practice, if anything, you use a heavier one. THEN, they pointed out on ESPN radio this morning that Sammy Sucka says that he uses the corked bat during Batting practice to make the fans happy:doh: In Chicago, they open the ball park later than most and the fans don't often get to see the cubs take BP..

What a moron.

I understand that the common thought is that homeruns are what the fans want to see, but I disagree. Baseball is less popular as the home run surge continues to rise. All the home runs are cheapening the game. Steroids, Juiced balls and corked bats make the game a joke.

Well, the bat was clearly marked with a giant "C" for corked. I don't think there's any question he sometimes used this bat for BP, and he obviously didn't try too hard to hide the corked bat. The fans DO love to watch the home-run hitters park a few before the games. Sammy has always tried to be something of a goodwill ambassador for baseball, so I'd believe he did this on the road even if they don't open BP to fans at home.

The question is whether a major-league hitter would just grab any of his bats off the rack without looking, which is unlikely. Sammy maybe thought he could slip one in and got caught.

This is strike two against Sammy in my book. I didn't like his responses to steroid testing either. He's a very personable guy, but you gotta start wondering about all those HRs

If none of his other bats have a cork then I will believe him and let it go. It seems plausible and he owned up immediately (unlike Albert Belle who blamed a teammate). Jayson Stark was on the radio this AM and noted that corked BP bats are commonplace.

Originally posted by fansince62

even better JackC...he and his wife now get to make book deal mega $$$$ recanting the lie!!!!!!:cheers:

Or, you can take the Jayson Blair route and make $millions boasting about it! :shootinth

Archived