Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Garden/Landscaping Thread

ljs

Ok, how do we do this?

Do I deliver the trees first, or does Al Sharpton not see tomorrow?:silly:

I was watching a program on the Disc channel about tree movers... for roughly $25,000 they'll transplant a full-on oak or maple tree. instant shade in a new neighborhood!

Honestly though, in the summer you cannot go outside in my backyard until the sun goes down. Unless you enjoy the sensation of standing in an oven. I've planted 4 maples, 8 cherries, 20 white pines, 5 japanese cedars, 4 blue spruce, 2 diodore cedars, and multiple specimen trees over the last 4 years. I think I added up close to 70 trees in total

But nothing coming close to shade. My maples now are about 16 feet tall and I've got a pine tree approaching 20 feet- but still no shade. Probably in another 10 years or so :(

I was watching a program on the Disc channel about tree movers... for roughly $25,000 they'll transplant a full-on oak or maple tree. instant shade in a new neighborhood!

Biggest trees I ever helped move myself, were three, 35-40ft American Hollies. Long story short, the customer wanted them on the other side of the yard. Could not get a machine in the back yard, much less near the trees. Eight of us, dug the trees, by hand, and burlapped and roped them. The root balls were roughly 8-10ft diameter 5-6ft deep. Dug trenches, by hand, to the new locations, got the trench muddy and slick, then using wenches attached to huge poplar trees, pulled them into place. They are still alive today. Pain in the ass!

And all for $2.25 an hour.:doh:

Honestly though, in the summer you cannot go outside in my backyard until the sun goes down. Unless you enjoy the sensation of standing in an oven. I've planted 4 maples, 8 cherries, 20 white pines, 5 japanese cedars, 4 blue spruce, 2 diodore cedars, and multiple specimen trees over the last 4 years. I think I added up close to 70 trees in total

I like your variety. Except for the white pines.

But nothing coming close to shade. My maples now are about 16 feet tall and I've got a pine tree approaching 20 feet- but still no shade. Probably in another 10 years or so :(

Unfortunately, nothing grows fast enough, and starting with larger trees costs a king's ransom. We keep a 10x10 canopy just outside the back door set up all spring/summer/fall so we can at least sit outside sometimes without catching on fire.

That's awesome Ax. I never planted anything that big, that is freaking amazing- most amazing of all they lived.

I remember my first day on the job as a landscaper, we had a flatbed loaded with some 20 foot tall spruce trees. And like your customer, this customer had a fence and we had to carry them on a tree ball cart thru his back yard, around carp ponds, etc. :rolleyes:

So anyways, there were six of us pushing this treeball cart getting poked and prodded by a sticky, sappy, sharp tree that weighed I'm guessing about 400,000 tons. Okay, maybe not that much, but close. Seriously though, it did break the treeball cart, which was rated for 2500 lbs. Only thing I could imagine worse than that is actually having to dig them up first, lol.

And why the hate for white pines? They make a great border around the rear of my property. They grow fast, hardy, disease resistant, and you can't see thru them. Good trees make good neighbors :D

Well i am having some issues since moving to Georgia. This dang red clay just makes it so tough. I have dumped so much sand and topsoil into the beds that it's insane.

And, I don't use miracle grow. I go down the road to the farmer and pick up natural fetilizer. A bit smelly, but the plants love them.

I had a lot of problems with clay when I first started gardening here. I was putting plants in mostly unamended clay and couldn't figure out why my plants rarely survived. :doh: That winter I made my way over to the GA gardener forum on gardenweb and read my arse off. Tons of good advice there.

Here's the advice I found from many searches there. Zoony is correct about NOT adding sand to clay. Instead, add plenty of organic matter (manure is great), pine fines and Permatill or Turface. The latter is kind of hard to find but Lesco/J. Deere usually carries it. Though hard to find, it's worth the search. It keeps the clay seperated so the roots can get air and doesn't break down over time.

You might also consider getting a compost pile going. That way you can use the manure without the smell.

Good luck!

And why the hate for white pines? They make a great border around the rear of my property. They grow fast, hardy, disease resistant, and you can't see thru them. Good trees make good neighbors :D

Hate may be a bit strong. Not at the top of my list would be more like it.

They can lose their density as the get bigger. Especially if they're to close together. You might need to consider removing every other one, some time down the road. They also take up a lot of space as they grow, but, if space isn't an issue, no problem.

I wish the cedrus deodara (Kashmir cedar) grew as fast. They are one my favorite evergreen trees. And, they hold their shape and density a bit better, IMO, as they mature.

And yes, the old "tree cart" carried many a story during my time, as well.

Hate may be a bit strong. Not at the top of my list would be more like it.

They can lose their density as the get bigger. Especially if they're to close together. You might need to consider removing every other one, some time down the road. They also take up a lot of space as they grow, but, if space isn't an issue, no problem.

I wish the cedrus deodara (Kashmir cedar) grew as fast. They are one my favorite evergreen trees. And, they hold their shape and density a bit better, IMO, as they mature.

And yes, the old "tree cart" carried many a story during my time, as well.

I've got them spaced at 20-25 feet, so I think I'm good for at least a while. I know they can get enormous, but I'll probably be long gone by then :)

My favorite evergreens (becides colorado blues, which grow really freaking slow) is cryptomeria "japanese cedar". I've got 5 on my property. But they grow kind of slow too. I've had more neighbors and friends knock on my door to ask what they are than anything else. They get bit in the winter though and look like crap- but in the summer they have amazing light green -on- dark green color, and they grow in a perfect cone. I'm seeing them more and more in commercial landscaping too

tree_crypto_japonica_main.jpg

And you're right, the Kashmir deodars are beautiful. I don't have any but I did plant a pair of atlas-blues. Pretty, but expensive as hell and grow slow.

14bloom2.jpeg

(random pictures from the web, not mine)

What kind of moisture have they been getting?

I have 4 tomoto plants- only 2 are wilted and they all get the same moisture. However the two wilted ones are in pots that drain- the others are not. The last few days we have had intermittent Thunderstorms, but temp is still 75-85. I normally water in the evening- enough to see the moisture- but not over do. I don't water everyday- prob every other day. I've also tried to water a bit more on the drainage ones due to the fact they lose water.

well, the wilt might not be wilt - it might be gray leaf rot which is caused from over-watering (fungus). Sounds like they're getting enough water. I'd recommend watering in the morning though. If it is a fungus cut away infected areas and treat with a copper fungicide

16_01.jpg

but, I'm just guessing. It might just be wilt, but if you're watering once/day I doubt it.

I love conifers too but the aforementioned clay soil can be a problem. I planted three deodar cedars a couple of years ago and they're doing great. I just planted two cryptos last fall and they seem to be doing OK also.

What I'd really like to get my grubby paws on though are a cedar of Lebanon and a coast redwood. Surprisingly, both can be grown here but none of the nurseries I frequent ever have them.

I love conifers too but the aforementioned clay soil can be a problem. I planted three deodar cedars a couple of years ago and they're doing great. I just planted two cryptos last fall and they seem to be doing OK also.

What I'd really like to get my grubby paws on though are a cedar of Lebanon and a coast redwood. Surprisingly, both can be grown here but none of the nurseries I frequent ever have them.

Just out of curiosity, would a coastal redwood be a good item to plant in your area? That is, would it be considered a native tree to the area? Maybe that's why you can't find it in the nursery? Just wondering, I have no clue myself...

No, I'm pretty sure they're anything but native to this region. However IIRC, they're able to pull enough moisture from the air during our hot, humid summers to survive and even thrive in some cases. However as many of them as I see around the area/state, somebody's getting them from somewhere.

Archived