Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you like snakes?? (W/ pics)

ljs

I almost stepped on a western Diamond back once. Cool snakes though.

My favorite has to be milk and coral snake

Red to black then venom it lacks

Red to yellow and it can kill you my fellow

Never heard that saying, good way to remember though...aren't corals the most poisonous in the states?

I like snakes. I'd never own one because I wouldn't be able to feed it, that would creep me out. Plus, I'd be afraid of it getting out and eating the dog or something.

However, in high school/college, one my my friends had a snake. She loved that thing, apparently they don't require a whole lot of TLC. Anyway, when we were over at her house, she'd get it out of it's living area. It was so cool, the thing would always wrap itself around your neck one time, and then hang down the front of you, it was like wearing a tie.

I think the species was a California King, but I'm not sure. So yeah, I think snakes are cool. Spiders on the other hand, get introduced to a friendly man I call Mr. Rolled up Newspaper.

Those guys are just waking up from their winter nap and are actually sluggish and very vulnerable in that state. I have a Sonoran Mountain kingsnake that would treat that like a buffet!

I understand the fear and dislike of these animals and owning one takes a lot of responsibility, respect, and knowledge.

Those who are afraid of snakes and encounter one are wise to just leave it alone, almost all species will flee rather try to defend themselves against us. They are more scared of you than you are of it. Non-venomous Rat(black,corn) snakes, garter snakes, and water snakes are more apt to defensively strike than rattlers and copperheads, believe it or not. Cottonmouths(water moccasins)- a totally different story. And yes, they can inject venom while underwater.

I almost forgot, a guy I used to work with loved snakes and other reptiles. He had about a dozen in a room in his basement. We went on a call once where a lady found this huge Boa in her backyard. He must have escaped from the owner, so my co worker took him home. Not sure if the owner was ever located.

Those guys are just waking up from their winter nap and are actually sluggish and very vulnerable in that state. I have a Sonoran Mountain kingsnake that would treat that like a buffet!

I understand the fear and dislike of these animals and owning one takes a lot of responsibility' date=' respect, and knowledge.

Those who are afraid of snakes and encounter one are wise to just leave it alone, almost all species will flee rather try to defend themselves against us. They are more scared of you than you are of it. Non-venomous Rat(black,corn) snakes, garter snakes, and water snakes are more apt to defensively strike than rattlers and copperheads, believe it or not. Cottonmouths(water moccasins)- a totally different story. And yes, they can inject venom while underwater.[/quote']

One of my biggest fears is being in the water and seeing a snake swimming around. At least on land I feel like I have a shot to out run the snake. In the water, Im just a sitting duck. I get freaked out just watching them swim although I still have to watch because it is pretty neat watching them at the same time.

One of my biggest fears is being in the water and seeing a snake swimming around. At least on land I feel like I have a shot to out run the snake. In the water, Im just a sitting duck. I get freaked out just watching them swim although I still have to watch because it is pretty neat watching them at the same time.

Whats worse is the fact that moccasins(and other leg-less swimming friends of theirs) exhaust easily and have no problem using your boat, raft, whatever as a resting area in larger bodies of water.

waterMoccpatternclose.jpg

Northern_Water_Snake.jpg

And how close do you really want to be to either one of these guys before your comfortable making a clear distinction on which one can really make your day suck?

Never heard that saying, good way to remember though...aren't corals the most poisonous in the states?

I believe they are, from everything I've learned. However, they rarely bite humans, unless handled or threatened. There preferred diet is lizards and other snakes. Yeah, with the fact that King Snakes love that diet as well, that should confuse people now. :D

If it was my dad who was home, everything was pretty much the same, except instead of a hoe, he'd take out his .44, lock us inside the house (because snakes can pick locks ya know), and blow the snake to smitherines. :D

My dad used to find big black snakes all the time when he was cutting the grass. He'd just hop off the mower, pick the snake up and "break" it, then run it over. Needless to say, it freaked me out.

This is what I don't get about owning a pet snake: They're dumb as hell. You could have one for 10 years and it still wouldn't know the difference between it's owner and a complete stranger.

My neighbor told me this story last summer:

She once had a huge pet snake (a constrictor of some sort) when she lived in Asia (India maybe?). Anyway, the snake slept in her bed every night and she would basically spoon with it like a dog or something. She noticed that the snake hadn't eaten in awhile so she consulted a vet and he told her that she needed to stay away from the snake and get it the **** outta the house because it was making room to eat her.

*I'm not sure how much of it I believe, but that's some creepy stuff.

So yeah... **** snakes. :silly:

Archived