Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Paris Peak Oil Conference Reveals Deepening Crisis

tex

That can't possibly be true... can it?

definitely true. I'll post article on it in a few minutes. (gotta find it)

I've posted the article on here before.

EDIT: Search is all kinds of busted and I can't find it in my old posts. But basically, it clearly shows that all the Oil ever pumped out of the ground all over the world COMBINED would not even fill Lake Tahoe. The author challenges anyone to prove him wrong and no one has.

Don't be surprised to hear of a MAJOR (and I mean MAJOR) oil strike in an area that you probably never thought of until now. It may take a few years - and a few idiot politicians/environmentalists.

Where?

It's not new. It's not unheard of either. But most people don't know about it.

Ready? Ok.

Southern Illinois.

And don't be surprised to learn of new places in the next ten years or so. Places that will dwarf the ME, Alaska, Canada, the Gulf, Brazil, Norway, the North Sea, etc.

Don't be surprised to hear of a MAJOR (and I mean MAJOR) oil strike in an area that you probably never thought of until now. It may take a few years - and a few idiot politicians/environmentalists.

Where?

It's not new. It's not unheard of either. But most people don't know about it.

Ready? Ok.

Southern Illinois.

And don't be surprised to learn of new places in the next ten years or so. Places that will dwarf the ME, Alaska, Canada, the Gulf, Brazil, Norway, the North Sea, etc.

yeah well that area has been getting some attention and the area in mississippi.. but the key to all of these "finds" is the price of oil and gas... You guys heard all this talk about oil sands and Shale plays for oil and gas recently but if the oil prices stay at $50-60 and gas prices at $4 then its not worth for companies to take on risk to drill these wells when the pay off does not offset the inherent risk of drilling a dry or poor performing wells...

There are 39 trillion gallons of water (almost 1 trillion barrels) in Lake Tahoe.

Anyone know how much oil gets consumed?

I can't vouch for the valitidy of information here, as I found it via a google search, but here's a site with some statistics: http://www.eia.doe.gov/basics/quickoil.html

U.S. Petroleum Consumption

19,498,000 barrels/day

Total World Petroleum Consumption

85,534,000 barrels/day

Gallons of Oil per Barrel

So doing some quick math (you guys can feel free to check it)

42x19,498,000=818,916,000 gallons of oil/day US

42x85,534,000=3,592,428,000 gallons of oil/day Worldwide

Now I may be doing something wrong, math is not my forte', but according to those stats it would only take 11 days for the world to use enough oil to fill Lake Tahoe. :whoknows:

Either way, we need more nuclear power.:D

Now I may be doing something wrong, math is not my forte', but according to those stats it would only take 11 days for the world to use enough oil to fill Lake Tahoe. :whoknows:

Math isn't my thing either, but according to this chart:

oil2.jpg

The world consumed about 30 billion barrels in 2005. So, what, 30 years to fill up Tahoe at 2005 levels of consumption? That could probably account for all oil ever consumed.

This is what I don't understand. We know there are trillions and trillions and trillions of barrels of oil in non-traditional deposits like the oil sands. So we aren't anywhere near running out of oil. The only problem is that these sources are more expensive.

So don't we see a natural and sustainable weaning process happening? As we're forced to turn to these sources, oil will become more expensive but we certainly won't run out of it. Not for a VERY long time. It will just become less attractive. So obviously, alternative sources will become more attractive.

So what's the problem here? Where's the energy crisis?

This is what I don't understand. We know there are trillions and trillions and trillions of barrels of oil in non-traditional deposits like the oil sands. So we aren't anywhere near running out of oil. The only problem is that these sources are more expensive.

So don't we see a natural and sustainable weaning process happening? As we're forced to turn to these sources, oil will become more expensive but we certainly won't run out of it. Not for a VERY long time. It will just become less attractive. So obviously, alternative sources will become more attractive.

you got it right on.. this is the real energy picture right now... there is no energy crisis as long as people are willing to pay for it.. and sadly we got no option BUT to pay for it...

I understand people's concern that high energy prices might have negative effect on the economy and on and on.. The people that really annoy me are people who complain about how we need to do something about oil and gas prices BUT complain that off shore rigs will be hurting their view of the ocean...

*poke *poke Floridians...

I can't vouch for the valitidy of information here, as I found it via a google search, but here's a site with some statistics: http://www.eia.doe.gov/basics/quickoil.html

U.S. Petroleum Consumption

19,498,000 barrels/day

Total World Petroleum Consumption

85,534,000 barrels/day

Gallons of Oil per Barrel

So doing some quick math (you guys can feel free to check it)

42x19,498,000=818,916,000 gallons of oil/day US

42x85,534,000=3,592,428,000 gallons of oil/day Worldwide

think I've got the wrong lake.

Hopefully I'll find the article. It's a good one, you guys should check it out.

I heard a very good explanation of this problem once.

It's not about how much oil is technically left within the earth's surface. It's about how much energy it takes to extract the remaining oil, because the oil's eventual use is, of course, energy. When oil is easy to extract, a large percentage of its energy can be used for other things, from construction to transportation to consumer goods. When oil is difficult to extract, most of the energy from the new oil has to be expended to extract even more of the hard-to-get oil.

In other words, if there's a bunch of oil left in the planet, but it's incredibly energy-inefficient to extract/refine said oil, it's no more of a useful energy source than, say, a bunch of hamsters running on a bunch of treadmills.

In other words, if there's a bunch of oil left in the planet, but it's incredibly energy-inefficient to extract/refine said oil, it's no more of a useful energy source than, say, a bunch of hamsters running on a bunch of treadmills.

Yes, I read about this. "Energy Returned on Energy Invested," right? But it looks like shale oil is getting about a 5:1 return. Not nearly the 30:1 that oil gets, but still very positive.

a 5:1 ratio would mean that 1 trillion barrels of shale oil will result in 800 billion barrels of new usable oil. Enough oil to run the world for decades. And I guess that new technology will make shale oil extraction more and more efficient.

Archived