Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Study: Nearly 1 in 5 American four year-olds are obese

Special K

My niece falls into this catagory. But for 10 yr olds. She is alowed to eat anything at anytime. My Sister doesnt do anything about it, horrible. Then on the other hand my son eats an eats. He is 4 an some change, some soda, if he eats well, and he does he gets ice cream, maybe twice a day. Raising him like I was food wise, an I was the same weight from HS till I was 30. I joke that he is not mine do to he likes most foods(veggies) I don't and he doesnt like mac n cheese!! He plays outside all the time and is about the same size a a 5 yr olds. Genetics and metabolizem has a large part to do, but will not blame is soley on that. Children should not be more than 7lbs over the average. That is pushing it.

n816752855_1483003_1264489.jpg

+100000000

Same with me. I had a playstation until high school. While everyone else was getting their new gaming systems, I had a playstation. haha My parents were never for "we'll get you whatever you want" which is why I'm glad I didn't have an xbox or whatever. I have an xbox 360 now, but still play outside all the time, and go to the gym when I can.

When I was younger, I'd always be riding bikes, making ramps and jumping off them, and playing in the woods, snow, leaves, playing bball, football, swimming until the sun went down. As soon as school got out, it was homework, then play. 5 minutes to bs the homework, then 4 hours outside until dinner time. Damn I miss my childhood.

We did both, if it was nice enought to be out we would be. If it was crappy we were on the NES, or taking a break from being in the snow to warn up and go back out. I think movies an TV have a larger part than games. It all still boils down to parenting.

It's because recess isn't ******* long enough! Back in 95' when I started up kindergarten I was taken these cats to school on the soccer field. Then recess got shortened to 40 minutes, then 30 minutes, then 20, all of a sudden by the time I was in sixth grade some teachers found it "unnecessary" and were allowed to skip it all together. Look if you want an easy fix take these kids outside and let them run around for an hour and a half. That will force whatever **** food their parents are feeding them right out of their system.

It's also the fact that there's crap to do in some places. Parents are afraid to let their kids out into the bad world. Also, all those diseases and bacteria you hear about makes parents afraid to let their kids get dirty and play outside (just, you know, climbing trees and whatnot.)

I just moved to Williamsburg, and drove for a freakin hour around every neighborhood in town before I found a basketball court. Like, an actual, outdoor basketball court.

There's a couple in parks, but its ridiculous that there are none in neighborhoods.

If young kids are fat it's not because of a lack of exercise, it's because they are being fed too many junk calories by their parents.

As for the inactivity issue, some kids play video games and watch TV, others read. Are you gonna stop your kids reading so they can sit outside on a swing?

I don't have young 'uns any more - two bean pole kids. Fruit is a snack for them, no sodas; cookies and chips a rarity. No added sugar or salt. It's not hard.

My 15-year old son plays video games and watches TV a lot. Anytime any of you adults think that affects his health he'll be happy to race you over a mile. Unless you're gonna break 4 minutes 30 don't bother showing up. :D

Archived