Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Danny: Not a Jerk...Just Knee Jerk

PROSCOUT

I don't really think that he's expecting them to play well simply because he's paying them. He's expecting them to play well based on performance we've already seen (such as Haynesworth) or on recommendations from his coaches (like Brandon Lloyd, which I believe was a Gibbs call.)

If there's one word I hate that describes exactly whatI mean,. it's this propensity among fans to use this term "overpaid". They overpaid for this guy, overpaid for that guy.

If all this overpaying did get in the way of us being able to pay someone else, or bring in another piece, then fine, I wouldn't have a problem. But since it doesn't, it's just a pointless thing to ***** about,, may as well complain that we're losing because Snyder puts his left shoe on before his right one inv the morning.

Someone before mentioned our lack of depth, and it all depends on how you look at that. Last year we lost both of our starting tackles, and then our backup tackle over something like 3 games in weeks 9, 11 and 12. (I'm just ballparking that, I can't remember exactly when Heyer, Samuels and Janson all went down. But down they went.)

Depth means you can overcome an injury, maybe even two, but when you lose two starters and the main backup on your line, there's not too many teams that can get past that. The salary cap has created a league wide problem of haves and have nots on a team. It's kind of run those quality depth and situational guys out of the league. (The Monte Coleman's of the world, if you will.)

Now, if we sign Haynesworth to his big deal, but to fit him we have to cut LaRon Landry or some other quality starter, then yes, the contract and figures are something we should concern ourselves about. But since we don't, it's hardly something worth worrying over, much less using as an example of the FO's ineptitude.

On a side note, I wonder what this board would be like if we utilized the draft to it's fullest, and then had to show patience while players developed? Peyton Manning threw INTs like they were what he was supposed to do in his first year, couldn't win a playoff game for several years, and once got whipped in the playoffs 41-0 by the Chad Pennington led Jets.

I would love to have seen the inevitable "we're so stupid, we should have drafted Pennington" posts that would have filled this board.

~Bang

Im rereading my post, I don't see the term "overpaid" anywhere..... paying them at a high level and expecting them to perform at that level is different.

Also, didn't we have to let Springs go because there wasn't room for him if we wanted to resign hall? And as for injuries, when your starters go down, i feel like you use it as a chance to let your backups get some experience. But you don't go and then get rid of the backups. It makes no sense to me why we chose not to pursue Evans when he spent all last season learning our defense, and would not have been expensive to bring back. Instead Snyder wants to "gamble" that he can find someone who can come in and immediatley be better than the guy who has almost a full season's experience. But if he can't, then were stuck again with another issue that won't be able to be addressed till next season.

Im rereading my post, I don't see the term "overpaid" anywhere..... paying them at a high level and expecting them to perform at that level is different.

Also, didn't we have to let Springs go because there wasn't room for him if we wanted to resign hall? And as for injuries, when your starters go down, i feel like you use it as a chance to let your backups get some experience. But you don't go and then get rid of the backups. It makes no sense to me why we chose not to pursue Evans when he spent all last season learning our defense, and would not have been expensive to bring back. Instead Snyder wants to "gamble" that he can find someone who can come in and immediatley be better than the guy who has almost a full season's experience. But if he can't, then were stuck again with another issue that won't be able to be addressed till next season.

Well, because I address the word overpaid in context of what we're talking about doesn't necessarily mean you used the term. But it's part and parcel of my point about fans and their lack of understanding of the contracts that they so passionately hold up as evidence of the FO's ineptitude.

Springs had to go anyway, not really applicable to what i'm talking about, The guy rarely played, and what's worse, rarely let the coaches know he wasn't going to play til it was too late to de-activate him and put someone on the squad who might contribute. Man, didn't we all just love seeing Springs joshing and laughing it up on the sidelines in his spotless uniform, without a single indication as to what may be causing him such discomfort as to sit out yet again? The guy could have all the talent in the world, and it's doing us no good malingering on the bench.

As far as Evans goes, i believe we did make overtures to him, but he decided to go with San Francisco. Other teams do have an effect on whether or not we can re-sign our free agents. There could be a multitude of factors as to why, could be he wanted a chance to play for Mike Singletary, who knows? It's entirely possible that the defensive coaches told them that what we see out of Evans now is about as good as it will get, and he's expendable. We fans simply aren't often privy to that angle of team building. Considering how the Jason Taylor thing played out, I sure would like to have Evans back, but so be it. No matter what you do, some players will come and some will go. Some you don't want to see go, but they do anyway for a variety of reasons. It's the nature of the NFL.

I don't know that I'd call going after Albert Haynesworth is a gamble. The guy plays at the highest level, and at this juncture there's no reason to believe he can't continue to do so. Considering our lack of pass rush, and the fact that it comes largely as a result of NO pressure up the middle, it's not a bad decision to upgrade to arguably the best player in the NFL at the position.

~Bang

Well, because I address the word overpaid in context of what we're talking about doesn't necessarily mean you used the term. But it's part and parcel of my point about fans and their lack of understanding of the contracts that they so passionately hold up as evidence of the FO's ineptitude.

~Bang

Actually for once Bang is right. I can't disagree with any of this post.

I don't know that I'd call going after Albert Haynesworth is a gamble. The guy plays at the highest level, and at this juncture there's no reason to believe he can't continue to do so. Considering our lack of pass rush, and the fact that it comes largely as a result of NO pressure up the middle, it's not a bad decision to upgrade to arguably the best player in the NFL at the position.

~Bang

Haynesworth has had 2 good years ....both contract years,not unreasonable to question him .You say we upgrade to the best at the position....NO we did not ,we got the best avaiable this year at that position and that Mr Bang is a big difference.

Also may I just add you and only you think you're right,opinions vary, you might very well be right ....now but to discount otherson on this board as fact less ......becuase it doesn't match your opinion is.......well wrong.

P.S.

Israel Idonije....I thought was the best but as I said before it's only my opinion.

I think Snyder deserves tremendous credit for:

1) Making the franchise among the most profitable and valuable in the league

2) Being willing to pour that money back into the franchise to acquire players

3) Finding a way to circumvent the salary cap year after year

I fault him, however for:

1) Not coming up with a long-term plan for the kind of team/franchise he wants and sticking to it. The most enviable franchises, even when they change coaches, have solid leadership that helps make the transitions smooth. They know what kind of coach/player they are looking for. If the candidate doesn't fit the profile, they aren't interested, even if that person has been successful.

2) Making the Redskins the billionaire's club of the NFL. Players on this roster have "made it" and even though a lot of these players have too much competitiveness and pride to let their performance completely drop off once they get their payday, I cannot believe that it doesn't have some impact collectively on the team. I think for a lot of players, this is a business and when it comes right down to it, they'll prepare more and play better when they have something to gain (i.e. a new contract) than if they've just pocketed $41 million in guaranteed money. There's a perception around the league that you go to Washington to get paid, but it would be better if there were a perception around the league that you go to Washington if you want to win.

3) The ham-handed coaching search. Don't want to rehash the whole argument that the front-office did things exactly right and there was nothing unusual at all about how that whole thing went down. I just don't buy it. I don't think a well-run organization makes a guy and offensive coordinator, then after a few more candidates get interviewed, decides that he's also the best choice for head coach.

Someone before mentioned our lack of depth, and it all depends on how you look at that. Last year we lost both of our starting tackles, and then our backup tackle over something like 3 games in weeks 9, 11 and 12. (I'm just ballparking that, I can't remember exactly when Heyer, Samuels and Janson all went down. But down they went.)

Two of those guys can't play. Forget about the guys behind them.

Archived