Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto

RedskinWill

Is this another one of those conservatives coming out of the wordwork after years of Republican rule claiming that wasn't real conservatism?

As it was already asked in this thread, where were these guys while the so called not real or fake conservatives were running the show?

They were complaining that the Republicans weren't being partisan enough.

:)

I dont care where he was for the last 10 years. Isnt it better to have ACTUAL conservative thought out there now for balance?

Isnt this EXACTLY what our country needs?

Arent we better with real debate? Isnt it better if both sides dont act like Liberals?

Feel free to vehemently disagree with his manifesto, but we should all applaud him for giving a true voice to the opposition.

And for those of you unfamiliar, Levin was a SCATHING critic of the GOP lead congress.

Its a good point. The title of the book is probably not helping though. It demonizes "liberal" thought right from the start, i.e. tyrants.

I dont care where he was for the last 10 years. Isnt it better to have ACTUAL conservative thought out there now for balance?

Isnt this EXACTLY what our country needs?

Arent we better with real debate? Isnt it better if both sides dont act like Liberals?

Feel free to vehemently disagree with his manifesto, but we should all applaud him for giving a true voice to the opposition.

And for those of you unfamiliar, Levin was a SCATHING critic of the GOP lead congress.

Dr. Levin prefers to call the Modern Liberal a "statist". As the word "liberal" is, in its classical meaning, the opposite of authoritarian.

What part of the title "demonizes" liberal thought? Just curious...

It is juxtaposing his conservative thoughts with tyrannical liberal thoughts. Are you implying that being a tyrant is not bad?

I'm not passing judgment on the book, but the title doesn't help it to come across as an academic and/or thoughtful reply to economic or political theory.

and here I was dropping into this thread hoping that someone had actually read the book. What was I thinking?

Silly you.

You figured, with two pages of replies, that at least some of them would be from somebody who'd read it?

It is the "Age of Obama"

...Yet in my case, the dagger-post style grew directly from a need to argue with ardent Bush supporters in their own language over the past several years.

Until all those Bush supporters started quietly disappearing en masse, of course. Then I was left with no sparring partners, and had to tone down my newfound skills as a result.

Almost there...

Is it better than his radio show? Because his radio show is a horrible shallow rant-fest.

In my opinion, of course.

I might add that there is nothing more pathetic than a lawyer who insists on people calling him "Doctor." Yes, it's a "Juris Doctor" degree, but you are not really a Doctor in the same sense as a MD or a PhD.

Sincerely,

Dr. Predicto.

I hate all the books like these, written by people that have an agenda and that don't provide anything other then opinions and stretched facts to make the other side look bad or to rationalize for their own side. All these books do is appeal to people that already hold these views and they don't look for honest discussion simply to attack the other side. Both sides do this and they really don't provide anything meaningful to political discussion. All these radio hosts and other media members are just looking to make a quick buck while appealing to a specific demographic. Lets be honest if the only experience that a lot of these authors have is they have a spot on a TV show or host a radio show they really shouldn't be taken seriously. They really have no new or special insight and I think most books like these written by whomever are the political equivalent to trashy novels to the literature world. Oh well rant over.

Is it better than his radio show? Because his radio show is a horrible shallow rant-fest.

In my opinion, of course.

I might add that there is nothing more pathetic than a lawyer who insists on people calling him "Doctor." Yes, it's a "Juris Doctor" degree, but you are not really a Doctor in the same sense as a MD or a PhD.

Sincerely,

Dr. Predicto.

Archived