Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Learning a new language?

Slateman

So, I'm going to have lots of time on my hands it seems. And Rosetta Stone is free via MarineNet Online Learning Center. Yay for me.

So I try it out and I'm kind of confused. It has me jumping right in to a language. I mean, shouldn't I learn the alphabet first or something? It just randomly spits out phrases. I have no idea what the squigly lines mean or what is supposed to sound like what. This seems rather . . . pointless.

Am I doing it wrong? Supposedly, I have a high aptitude for learning languages (scored 116 on the Defense Language Aptitude Battery)

Rosetta Stone teaches you through images. You see, you speak. Like a baby.

It skips the gazillion grammatical rules you find in each language and goes straight to the point: learning how to speak the language.

I've been rocking Rosetta Stone Portuguese (BR) now for a minute (the wife is from Brazil) and I love it. Beats the hell out of the 50 fricking Spanish classes I've taken over the years.

It does.

But shouldn't I learn the alphabet first? What good does random ass sentences do me?

I think that if you are learning arabic, for instance, it would probably be a good idea to learn the alphabet first. Otherwise, even if you do memorize some important phrases, how are you going to read a sentence in that language? You're correct, it makes no sense.

It should take you literally one minute to learn the alphabet. It's much more valuable to learn how to speak the language first, then worry about how to spell every word. The Spanish classes I've taken are pretty much the opposite, and totally backwards IMO.

I don't understand something though. Doesn't the program show you the written words as well?

Archived