Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFC East Blog: Dockery rejoins 'Skins

skinsfannyc76

A little blurb from ESPN.com's Matt Mosley (link and text below my 2 cents):

I know a lot of ESers are calling for us to take a LB with #13 or maybe even DE (Orakpo among others), but I still think we've got to hope for one of the top OTs to fall to us so that we can permanently replace Jon Jansen (and leave Heyer as the future permanent back-up).

________

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-8-169/Report--Dockery-rejoins--Skins.html

________

The Washington Redskins brought back a familiar face Sunday to shore up their offensive line, according to this report. As most of you probably know, the Buffalo Bills bungled some paperwork the other day that ruined a trade opportunity with the Lions. Dockery will probably look back at this as his "get-out-of-jail-free" card moment.

He has a lot of friends on the Redskins' roster and he'll immediately start at one of the guard spots. With Pete Kendall and Randy Thomas having health issues, the Redskins desperately needed reinforcements. Now, we'll see if they can land an offensive tackle with the No. 13 pick in the draft. This team has been handcuffed for years by both its offensive and defensive lines. So far in free agency they've done a good job of addressing those concerns.

Rabach did have some rough stretches there last year, but I think in order for Zorn to implement his version of the WCO, we've got to improve our pass protection from the edges. And I don't see how we're going to be able to easily upgrade our C position at this point. That said, I do agree that ideally, other than RT, we need a late round guy who's versatile enough to play both C and OG...and Chad Rinehart unfortunately does not appear at the moment to fit the bill there...

Rabach wasn't AS bad as fans say. He had a slump but finished pretty well. I think after Jansen, Thomas is the next weakest link.

Our right side is going to get young fast!

I definitely don't agree there. Thomas, when healthy, is our best Olineman next to Samuels. I think he's honestly one of the most underrated players in the NFL. The injuries are the problem... if he's healthy come Training Camp, I just can't see any way a rookie or younger guy can beat him for the starting spot. Our weakest link after Jansen, is Rabach... but that's a pretty good "weak" link to have. Our biggest concerns should be starting RT and depth at Guard... not a Thomas replacement, imo.

Why not keep him and draft Alex Mack in the draft?

Because if you take Mack at #13, its a gigantic reach for a guy that can be had at the back end of the 1st round.

Add to that, the ROT is in dire need of replacement; Rabach can still play, but neither Heyer or Jansen are starting material at this point.

Rabach wasn't AS bad as fans say. He had a slump but finished pretty well. I think after Jansen, Thomas is the next weakest link.

Our right side is going to get young fast!

Rabach has lost games for us with holding penalties not only last year but years before that. I remember in '05 when the Joe Gibbs Redskins were trying to make a name for themselves and we were playing the very good San Diego Chargers. We were going to down the field for the games winning touchdown pass. That all stopped when Casey Rabach screwed us. Same thing happened down in Dallas last season when Rabach denied our offense a touchdown not once but twice. Rabach is a good football player, he can't maintain composure at crucial times though.

I was hoping we could sign Center Jason Brown from the Ravens but the Rams got him.

Archived