Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grady Jackson/Ted Washington Anyone?

Whiskeypeet

Not that we need a couple of fat lazy slobs on our defensive line but these guys could help out in a pinch. Plus a couple fat bodies on our line might help slow down another team's running game should our current cast prove to be a sieve......these guys might become available.

http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/dan_pompei/20030518.html

You have to wonder about the future of two aging, overweight defensive tackles. In New Orleans, 30-year old Grady Jackson showed up at minicamp weighing 366 pounds and was demoted from the starting lineup. Coach Jim Haslett was so disgusted with Jackson earlier this offseason that he told him not to show up at the team facility for the workout program until Jackson lost weight.

In Chicago, 35-year-old Ted Washington reported to a recent minicamp way overweight. What's more, Washington missed most of last season with a broken leg and a torn ligament in his foot. He still is not able to practice. Considering his age, weight and injuries, Washington's future seems dubious. . . .

I'll take either for league minimum cause they'll have to play like gangbusters or Gardener did for us last year to get any kind of money offers back.......plus for league min....we can always trim the fat come season time if they don't shape up

I don't think either of these guys have anything to offer, anymore. They have no hunger for the game of football. The only hunger they experience is for the dinner table.

I'd rather give a young, inexperienced guy a shot rather than an old guy who doesn't take the game seriously enough to stay in any semblence of physical condition. Some guys let themselves go in the offseason, but these guys don't even bother to shape up during the season.

Forget about them.

Guru

I don't know if it's necessarily fair to question Ted Washington's hunger to play because he shows up for minicamp overweight.

I think it's quite possible he has shown up to every single minicamp overweight (perhaps grossly) during the course of his 12 year career. And it didn't stop him from being possibly the best run-stuffing Dlineman of the late 90's thru 2001.

You look at the Bills of the late 90s and the Bears of 2001 and nobody ran on these teams. He made every LB on those teams better. Why did Urlacher have a down year in 2002? Look no further than the fact that BIG TED was missing from the lineup for much of it.

It remains to be seen whether the man can still play or not. I am not saying that we throw a pile of dough at the guy but I think it's a chance worth taking. It's a chance that isn't a whole lot different than the one we took on Daryl Gardener last season.

Archived