Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Public Interest Law

buenosdiaz

Anybody have experience with this?

i'm still hoping for a few schools to throw some cash my way but am preparing for the worst just in case...

Anyways I've been accepted to a few school and am slowly giving up hope for some of the top 20's i applied to...

anyways as you all know i want to eventually do immigration law...

question how well do maryland and american do in the dc market particularly for immigration law..

from my other thread you all can see i'm really excited about Emory but am not sure if i am willing to get into that kind of debt even though its ranked significantly higher than the dc schools ive gotten into (why the **** cant gw or gtown make a decision on me?!?!)

anyways Emory has a loan repayment program for law school graduates if they do public interest...

i mean i dont want to be making that little money coming out of law school but honestly 2-3 years of my life doing work in immigrant communities that i actually dont mind doing wouldnt be the end of the world...

my question is how difficult is it to leave a public interest career and getting into a firm and doing typical lawyer stuff...

also i'm pretty sure the federal government has a loan repayment program that helps pay off student loan debt for doing public interest work

also...PI law isnt limited to the PI lawyers that do random cases everyday for clients theyve never met...and god willing is not what i would end up doing lol

If you want a big firm job, go to the best law school you can. Also, it's pretty hard to get a job at a big firm making a 6-figure salary if you took a few years off to work at some public interest law firm/org. Big firms (which are the ones which pay big money) hire people from top schools when they are in law school. Some will let you take a year off to do public interest law, but 95% of Biglaw new associate hires either came directly from law school or a clerkship.

how much debt are you looking at if you go to Emory?

38k a year plus moving down to atlanta...

i applied to a ****load of scholarship's so hopefully emory decides to give me a merit award and if i get awarded one of these other scholarships from other places i'd be cool with debt...if i can somehow get out of law school with under 100k debt i think i'll be fine...

also i'm not in an enoromous amount of debt from undergrad or anything and the few amount of student loan bills i have from undergrad are not enough at all to influence this decision...

If you want a big firm job, go to the best law school you can. Also, it's pretty hard to get a job at a big firm making a 6-figure salary if you took a few years off to work at some public interest law firm/org. Big firms (which are the ones which pay big money) hire people from top schools when they are in law school. Some will let you take a year off to do public interest law, but 95% of Biglaw new associate hires either came directly from law school or a clerkship.

this is what i fear...i've heard from a few people that gettng out of the PI sector and into big law is very difficult...

If you know you want to come back to the DC market, my advice is to go to a local school (esp if a public school for lower tuition) rather than Emory, and for a few reasons:

When it comes time to interview, it is the rare DC firm that would come all the way to Atlanta to look for summer associates. Requires you to do a LOT of legwork and effort to try to get interviews for summer jobs. If you go to school in DC, they will all come to you.

I don't think Emory has the clout to justify the extra expense and going out of state. A DC firm might look at top 10 law schools like Duke or Yale. Emory? Borderline. Good but not good enough to immediately pique their interest just based on the name. Look around now at some of the local firms that you would be interested in if you were applying for a job today, and look at where the partners (and to a lesser extent the associates) went to school.

It's much more important where you are in your class. A top 10% student at American will be in a better position to get a job than a top 1/3 student at Emory.

Archived