Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AQ Shipley in the second

gutlead74

I fully grasp that we do not currently have a second, and I don't have the plan to get one, however we need it desperately so we can select AQ Shipley from PSU! Center is THE most unappreciated position in all of football and yet THE most important, he makes all the calls, the defender lined across from him is the closest player to the QB, In a Zone scheme he provides the bubble for the back to have room to read. AQ was named big ten offensive player of the year as a CENTER! Watch the film, he doesn't get bullied by tackles and has the quicks to fit on LBs. He has a nasty disposition and is highly intelligent. He will not make it past the second. :2cents::logo:

Would love to have him but center is not the most important position and the only way we are going to acquire a 2nd round pick is to

1. Trade away next year's first (No)

2. Trade Carlos Rogers (No)

3. Trade down... (I could live with this)

that is a popular myth, some high schools even try to hide thier weakest linemen at center, however if you go back and look at film of our very own skins the games our O struggled coincided with when our center was struggling. :logo:

that is a popular myth, some high schools even try to hide thier weakest linemen at center, however if you go back and look at film of our very own skins the games our O struggled coincided with when our center was struggling. :logo:

Center is not 'the' most important position in football. All positions are important. It's all dependant on your scheme which ones are more important.

For Baltimore, when they won the Super Bowl, QB wasn't all that important.

It all has to do with what you want to do.

That said, traditionally, center is a very important piece of the offense. And an underappreciated one in the NFL.

Your ideal draft has us drafting a Guard who's stock has dropped significantly since his last game (some Scouts even have him ranked as low as a 3rd Rounder). Then you want us to draft a Center who isn't even the best Center of the class. Alex Mach, Max Unger, and Eric Wood are all better Centers.

Wasnt Rabach considered one of the top centers in the league last year? I have read a lot on the age and weakness of our O-line. The only member of that line not mentioned in all these "skins need to get younger here" articles is Rabach. Not that this kid isnt anygood, but we have way bigger fish to fry with a 2nd rounder (not that we have one) than center. If you look at our needs, center has to be behind, Tackle, guard, d-line, corner and linebackers. For those of you counting, that is 5 positions for 4 draft picks. To be honest, it may happen, cause your entire proposition sounds like a move Vinny would make. Trade the house to move up a round to grab a player who fills a hole where we already are strong? No thanks.

];6146412']Your ideal draft has us drafting a Guard who's stock has dropped significantly since his last game (some Scouts even have him ranked as low as a 3rd Rounder). Then you want us to draft a Center who isn't even the best Center of the class. Alex Mach' date=' Max Unger, and Eric Wood are all better Centers.[/quote']

your idea of better center is based soley on talking head chatter, watch the film

I recieved alot of the same critisism about Jordy Nelson last year, and he has already made an impact with GB, whom has a Very good recieving corps. dont be fooled, watch the film. of course I am a rare fan that actually rewinds and watches what happens up front. stick Duke in at RG and shipley at center and loadholdt at rt and watch a great running game for the next 8 years

I fully grasp that we do not currently have a second, and I don't have the plan to get one, however we need it desperately so we can select AQ Shipley from PSU! Center is THE most unappreciated position in all of football and yet THE most important, he makes all the calls, the defender lined across from him is the closest player to the QB, In a Zone scheme he provides the bubble for the back to have room to read. AQ was named big ten offensive player of the year as a CENTER! Watch the film, he doesn't get bullied by tackles and has the quicks to fit on LBs. He has a nasty disposition and is highly intelligent. He will not make it past the second. :2cents::logo:

you aren't allowed to speak right now, duke robinson with the 13th pick? jumping the gun much are we?!?

I really like Shipley, I do. The only problem is his size. He is 6'1 and has the shortest arms out of all of the lineman (so says NFL.COM). He is a good player with a nasty streak and plays hard but his size makes me cautious. Although he is a thick guy and barrel chested which is a plus.

If we got a 2nd rounder via trade, I would pick up Phil Loadholt and then possibly grab Shipley in the 3rd.

Shipley and Maybin. PSU FTW. :D

I would say LOT might be the most important position in football.

We have been in good shape there for a while and look to be set there for years to come.

:secret: move Samuels to right side and pick the best tackle in the first. Make a move to get a second round pick and get Shipley. I know it seems alot for an o linemen, but he won't make it out of the second round.

I was watching the combine and this guy stood out among the centers. Him and Unger are head and shoulders above the rest at the combine.

Here is my list of "I like what I see" combine guys.

FIRST ROUNDERS

1)Eugene Monroe-OT- by far the most natural, smooth.

2)Jason Smith-OT-ok,nothing spectacular

3)Michael Oher-OT - very very raw, kinda clumsy some times.

4T)William Beatty-OT moving up on the board, smooth, not so strong

4T)Eben Britton- OT nothing flashy but looks consistent.

6)Max Unger-C looks like a 5 yr vet already.

SECOND ROUND OR LATER

7)A.Q Shipley-C pure beast

8)Maurice(?) Miller- OT- quick feet,maybe not much else?

your idea of better center is based soley on talking head chatter, watch the film

By talking chatter, I'm assuming you're talking about all the analysts who scout players for a living.

I'm sure they've got little knowledge about the game though, as compared to you. You're a special little guy with far more expertise than, say, Mike Mayock.

how about we take duke in the 2nd if we all the sudden have a 2nd rounder

then we somehow get a 4th and take your adorable shipley and we take a DE in the 1st

Shipley has weird numbers, but every time he's seen on TV you can see the guys almost drulling. I'll be shocked if he doesn't go in the early 2nd round. That wing span is holding him back. That's good for us.

];6147747']By talking chatter' date=' I'm assuming you're talking about all the analysts who scout players for a living.

I'm sure they've got little knowledge about the game though, as compared to you. You're a special little guy with far more expertise than, say, Mike Mayock.[/quote']

Mayock has him as a top five center. After playing the position for 6 years and coaching it for 4 I do have a little knowledge. the NFL is littered with pro scout evaluated bust so I would prefer to use my own intellect instead of regurgitating what others think. I wondered to myself how your knowledge could be so great, then i saw your age and your post count, and I understand how you could be so knowledgeable. I wont spar any longer as I am hopelessly over matched. :2cents:

Mayock has him as a top five center. After playing the position for 6 years and coaching it for 4 I do have a little knowledge. the NFL is littered with pro scout evaluated bust so I would prefer to use my own intellect instead of regurgitating what others think. I wondered to myself how your knowledge could be so great, then i saw your age and your post count, and I understand how you could be so knowledgeable. I wont spar any longer as I am hopelessly over matched. :2cents:

I'm surprised Shipley is ranked as low as he is. www.walterfootball.com has him going in the 4th round in their most recent mock that came out on 2-21.

Also surprised that they have Eric Wood going in the 4th.

By the way, Ghost is usually on point with his posts.

Archived