Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Draft Day Musings - Trade Down with Patriots

SkinSabbath

I used this mock draft to fuel my speculations:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

The more I study the upcoming draft prospects, the more I realize that the Redskins are screwed at pick #13. All the best OL and DL prospects will be off the board, and no other players will be worth the contract that comes with a top-15 pick.

This leads to the trade-down scenario. The most likely partner would be the Patriots. They'd be attracted to our pick #13 where they could take one of the coveted USC Linebackers. To get their second rounder, we might have to toss in a defensive veteran (Griffin, Daniels, Springs, Washington).

TERMS OF THE DEAL

Patriots receive: Rd 1 Pick 13, Cornelius Griffin

Redskins Receive: Rd 1 Pick 23, Rd 2 Pick 23

The Redskins trade down and select C Alex Mack at pick #23. Then, with their newly acquired 2nd rounder, the Skins take ROBERT AYERS, DE, TENNESSEE .

This way, we add a quality O-Lineman AND D-Lineman. We'd also open up some cap room by shipping Griffin. This might not be possible but it seems like a real logical move to me. It would be a dream scenario IMO :2cents:

I know every thought doesn't need a thread, but I'm bored and can't help myself! Let's debate!

Griffin is a 4-3 Tackle. I am not sure that the value of that trade works out since they only move up 10 spots and gain a 32 year old tackle who doesn't fit their scheme at the cost of losing a second rounder. And why would the Patriots need to trade up? They are stacked enough, why would they want to have to pay someone they don't really need a pick 13 contract.

Also, it's no certainty that the top linemen will be gone by 13. There are about 6 prospects in that range, plus two cornerbacks, two quarterbacks, three linebackers, and a wide receiver, and this is all before the combine. Plus, teams are going to reach, or some wide receiver like Heyward-Bey or Maclin will run a phenomenal 40 and get taken early. Also, everyone is ignoring the two elite running backs of the class, but they too will probably go a lot earlier than people are projecting now.

13 is a good spot, we will have lots of options.

Griffin is a 4-3 Tackle. I am not sure that the value of that trade works out since they only move up 10 spots and gain a 32 year old tackle who doesn't fit their scheme at the cost of losing a second rounder. And why would the Patriots need to trade up? They are stacked enough, why would they want to have to pay someone they don't really need a pick 13 contract.

Also, it's no certainty that the top linemen will be gone by 13. There are about 6 prospects in that range, plus two cornerbacks, two quarterbacks, three linebackers, and a wide receiver, and this is all before the combine. Plus, teams are going to reach, or some wide receiver like Heyward-Bey or Maclin will run a phenomenal 40 and get taken early. Also, everyone is ignoring the two elite running backs of the class, but they too will probably go a lot earlier than people are projecting now.

13 is a good spot, we will have lots of options.

Understood. Personally I'm not a fan of blindly drafting based on need. I'm not convinced that ANY of the top D-Line prospects are worth it, but maybe that's just me. MAYBE Everette Brown might be worth the high pick, but personally I'd still rather trade down.

Oher is the biggest risk in the draft, his personal history is red flag enough.

I'd prefer a safer bet

Agreed.

I feel like you guys are missing the point. It's just my opinion that none of the guys available at #13 will be worth picking that high.

So maybe the exact details aren't perfect, I'm not a GM. But I think we need to pull the same kind of move we made last year, only pick some lineman instead of some bull@&*# wide receivers.

Oher is the biggest risk in the draft, his personal history is red flag enough.

I'd prefer a safer bet

That seems like an overstatement. And what is his personal history that throws up red flags?

He is a good player, and he isn't even the riskiest Tackle in the class, much less player. Teams will be taking a bigger flier on the two Smiths than they would be on Oher.

so we trade the strongest DT we have and draft a DE when we need someone to push up the middle not rush from the outside?

Dude we need help in the middle AND the outside. We need both. Personally, I think Monty and Golston can do a decent job, which is why we should draft DE.

All the mock drafts and experts recommend we go DE in the draft too. This isn't a radical idea...

I agree, I would like to be in the top 6 of this draft to get the franchise OT.

History though says that a quality GM will find the key player at #13 that goes on to be a pro bowler or is able to trade that pick for value.

I just don't trust Vinny to make that deal with New England. They will rob the Redskins blind.

Archived