Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Vick becoming a Redskin...(merged)

HRNY4ZRNY

It's funny how people equate Vick's off the field actions with his talent. The man is a superior athlete that can help the team win games. I hate to play the race card but majority of people who lash out at Vick are middle to upper class white people who view dogs as human beings, and are intimidated by what Vick represents which is a mobile black athletic quarterback that doesn't stand in the pocket and can make make plays with his feet as well as his arm. They feel as though this progression in quarterback play may take away future opportunities for white quarterbacks that are traditional pocket passers. We need to get past this way of thinking people. Me being a dogowner I don't condone what he did, but I understand his mindset in not realizing how hanus his acts were. Many may not know this but as a black youth especially in urban areas dogfighting is not uncommon. You could use PG County for example which has a large black population. They had to ban pitbulls some years ago due to the large number of dogfights and irresponsible owners who allowed thier dogs to be unleashed. Basically what I'm sayin is Vick is one of the top athletes in the NFL, he has served his time, and should be allowed the oppurtunity to resume his career. I love the redskins and feel he would contribute to the ultimate goal of winning the super bowl.

"YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!" - Herm Edwards

I love the playing of the race card........

I have no problem with Vick being allowed to play again in the NFL despite the fact that I'm a middle class white guy with a Golden Retriever at home.

And I'm not worried about Michael Vick transforming the QB position in the NFL. Personally, he had his chance to do it and he failed because of the fact that while he's an athletic freak, he is severely lacking where it matters most: above the neck.

I think Vick is a poor fit with the Redskins for a number of reasons:

1) I don't want Jason Campbell looking over his shoulder. He's been messed with enough. (As a sidebar, in case I missed something, I believe that Jason is African-American as well, right?)

2) I don't believe Vick is an accurate enough passer to be a good fit in Zorn's offense. And I don't believe Zorn is really flexible and would be willing to completely overhaul the offense towards Vick's strengths. Basically, Vick would be a square peg in a round hole under Zorn.

3) The rust factor. The guy has been out of the league for 2 seasons.

4) Will Vick be willing to play the Slash role in the short term? Would the team even use him in that role under Zorn? Would he be an upgrade from ARE in that respect?

5) I want less drama. Vick would bring huge amounts of drama. It would make adding TO look like nothing. No thanks.

If the Redskins blow things up again after this season (Zorn gets the boot, Campbell isn't given a new deal, etc.), then I could see where Vick MIGHT be an OK fit here.

But, not here and not now.

I love the playing of the race card........

I have no problem with Vick being allowed to play again in the NFL despite the fact that I'm a middle class white guy with a Golden Retriever at home.

And I'm not worried about Michael Vick transforming the QB position in the NFL. Personally, he had his chance to do it and he failed because of the fact that while he's an athletic freak, he is severely lacking where it matters most: above the neck.

I think Vick is a poor fit with the Redskins for a number of reasons:

1) I don't want Jason Campbell looking over his shoulder. He's been messed with enough. (As a sidebar, in case I missed something, I believe that Jason is African-American as well, right?)

2) I don't believe Vick is an accurate enough passer to be a good fit in Zorn's offense. And I don't believe Zorn is really flexible and would be willing to completely overhaul the offense towards Vick's strengths. Basically, Vick would be a square peg in a round hole under Zorn.

3) The rust factor. The guy has been out of the league for 2 seasons.

4) Will Vick be willing to play the Slash role in the short term? Would the team even use him in that role under Zorn? Would he be an upgrade from ARE in that respect?

5) I want less drama. Vick would bring huge amounts of drama. It would make adding TO look like nothing. No thanks.

If the Redskins blow things up again after this season (Zorn gets the boot, Campbell isn't given a new deal, etc.), then I could see where Vick MIGHT be an OK fit here.

But, not here and not now.

You have some valid points as far as Vick no being a great fit in Zorn's offense and on your sidenote I said a mobile black QB not someone who just avoids the rush, but what you fail to realize is that even with rust and accuracy issues Vick is still and upgrade over Campbell. What you need to look at is that Vick won games when he played, maybe not the way you liked but he found a way to win. I need to believe my QB can do that for me and I don't see it it Jason. He has all the skills to be successful in the NFL but he lacks the "swagger" it takes to get people to believe in you. All the great ones had it Farve, Elway, and as much as I hate to say it even Romo sits to pee. Now I'm not saying Romo sits to pee will be an alltime great but you see he makes a lot of mistakes on the field yet, at the end of the day his teammates believe in him, and he believes he can get it done. Jason plays scared football, he worries about making a mistake before risking the chance to make a play. Get Vick in now give him time to acclimate to the system and see what happens. Worst case scenario he's lost a step and maybe equal to Jason, then we finnally get to give Colt a chance next year.

I hate to play the race card but majority of people who lash out at Vick are middle to upper class white people who view dogs as human beings, and are intimidated by what Vick represents which is a mobile black athletic quarterback that doesn't stand in the pocket and can make make plays with his feet as well as his arm.

Basically what I'm sayin is Vick is one of the top athletes in the NFL, he has served his time, and should be allowed the oppurtunity to resume his career.

A- Playing in the NFL is a PRIVILEGE not a right. I'd say going to federal prison is cause for not being allowed back in. There are a ton of jobs he will never be allowed to have again, this is most certainly one of them.

B- I'm a racist because I don't like the fact that an incurable disease spreading lier who had his house raided for drug dealing, was arrested for running an interstate gambling ring over the cruel abuse of another living thing.

Vick is human garbage and this is not even close to the first thing he has done that was wrong. I didn't like him as a person before, if it was Ron Mexico or OOkie or Mike doesn't matter. The guy is scum and the NFL is better off without him.

A- Playing in the NFL is a PRIVILEGE not a right. I'd say going to federal prison is cause for not being allowed back in. There are a ton of jobs he will never be allowed to have again, this is most certainly one of them.

B- I'm a racist because I don't like the fact that an incurable disease spreading lier who had his house raided for drug dealing, was arrested for running an interstate gambling ring over the cruel abuse of another living thing.

Vick is human garbage and this is not even close to the first thing he has done that was wrong. I didn't like him as a person before, if it was Ron Mexico or OOkie or Mike doesn't matter. The guy is scum and the NFL is better off without him.

my least fav current guy is leonard little... that ron mexico stuff, what a nice guy, HA.

It's funny how people equate Vick's off the field actions with his talent. The man is a superior athlete that can help the team win games. I hate to play the race card but majority of people who lash out at Vick are middle to upper class white people who view dogs as human beings, and are intimidated by what Vick represents which is a mobile black athletic quarterback that doesn't stand in the pocket and can make make plays with his feet as well as his arm. They feel as though this progression in quarterback play may take away future opportunities for white quarterbacks that are traditional pocket passers. We need to get past this way of thinking people. Me being a dogowner I don't condone what he did, but I understand his mindset in not realizing how hanus his acts were. Many may not know this but as a black youth especially in urban areas dogfighting is not uncommon. You could use PG County for example which has a large black population. They had to ban pitbulls some years ago due to the large number of dogfights and irresponsible owners who allowed thier dogs to be unleashed. Basically what I'm sayin is Vick is one of the top athletes in the NFL, he has served his time, and should be allowed the oppurtunity to resume his career. I love the redskins and feel he would contribute to the ultimate goal of winning the super bowl.

"YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!" - Herm Edwards

I thought Vick's ability was very understated. Because someone can run, people automatically give you the "inaccurate arm" label. Vick was a great passer, but he only could trust slow Algie Crumpler to catch the ball. Without Vick, no one would know who Alge Crumpler was. Every WR for the Falcons were unreliable, even Roddy White until the year before this last season.

Vick will be allowed to play again. I would like him to be a Redskin, but I'm not sure where he would fit. Maybe if he is still as fast as he was or close to it, he could be a hybrid offensive player in wildcat formations and gadget plays passing, running, and catching.

If we couldn't sign Campbell (which is quite possible people we did him wrong) then I would love to have Mike Vick. He paid his debt to society and deserves a second chance. He went to jail for a dog crime ( for 2 years where killers have seen lesser time).

if we couldn't sign campbell (which is quite possible people we did him wrong) then i would love to have mike vick. He paid his debt to society and deserves a second chance. He went to jail for a dog crime ( for 2 years where killers have seen lesser time).
;)exactly;)

You have some valid points as far as Vick no being a great fit in Zorn's offense and on your sidenote I said a mobile black QB not someone who just avoids the rush, but what you fail to realize is that even with rust and accuracy issues Vick is still and upgrade over Campbell. What you need to look at is that Vick won games when he played, maybe not the way you liked but he found a way to win. I need to believe my QB can do that for me and I don't see it it Jason. He has all the skills to be successful in the NFL but he lacks the "swagger" it takes to get people to believe in you. All the great ones had it Farve, Elway, and as much as I hate to say it even Romo sits to pee. Now I'm not saying Romo sits to pee will be an alltime great but you see he makes a lot of mistakes on the field yet, at the end of the day his teammates believe in him, and he believes he can get it done. Jason plays scared football, he worries about making a mistake before risking the chance to make a play. Get Vick in now give him time to acclimate to the system and see what happens. Worst case scenario he's lost a step and maybe equal to Jason, then we finnally get to give Colt a chance next year.

A) Has Vick ever been able to get a playbook down in that short a time? I don't believe he has.

B) I'm not buying that a rusty Vick that hasn't been seriously working out for TWO YEARS walks off the street and is better than Campbell. Heck, I'd take Colt before Vick and I think Colt is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated by the Cult.

C) The worst case scenario is that Vick comes in here, Campbell wants a trade or to be cut, the Redskins release Campbell, Vick stinks, and the Redskins are stuck with a top 5 pick, and Campbell goes to Minnesota and lights it up.

;)exactly;)
If we couldn't sign Campbell (which is quite possible people we did him wrong) then I would love to have Mike Vick. He paid his debt to society and deserves a second chance. He went to jail for a dog crime ( for 2 years where killers have seen lesser time).

Vick did ZERO time for a "dog" crime.

LOL...people like you who are so over the top and live and breathe off any agenda or sterotype the media chooses to portray are funny to me. So you must know someone pretty well to call them scum and human garbage. I take it you have actually met Michael Vick and been exposed to his disease spreading right? So the thought of him actually benefiting from his prison term and being rehabilitated(which is the puropse of the key word "CORRECTIONAL" facility) is not and option at all in your book. So any athlete that makes a mistake should never be allowed the chance to attone for it? I guess Michael Phelps, Josh Hamilton, Tony LaRussa, and Ray Lewis are all human garbage according to you right? Here's a little bit of advice that might benefit you at some point in life "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

my least fav current guy is leonard little... that ron mexico stuff, what a nice guy, HA.

There is still a large difference between what Vick has done and Little. And no I don't think Little should be in the NFL either.

Do the crime, do the time and you are back out to do as you please. However, there are certain thing convicted felons are never allowed to do again and playing professional sports certainly is one of them.

And the Ron Mexico thing. Lying to someone you have just knowingly given an incurable disease to is scum. He flipped off his fans. He got bored of the ways he was killing non violent dogs and invented new ones. That is ****ing sick and the signs of a serial killer. The cops found out about the dogs, because they were raiding his house because drugs were being dealt out of it. After getting arrested, he popped a hot urine. He got pinched for drugs before that as well. The list goes on.

What in there says he is a decent person, who should be allowed to play professional sports and once again be looked up to by children?

A) Has Vick ever been able to get a playbook down in that short a time? I don't believe he has.
This certainly is your opinion and not fact. How do you know this? Have you spoken with Vick's coaches or are you GOD?!
B) I'm not buying that a rusty Vick that hasn't been seriously working out for TWO YEARS walks off the street and is better than Campbell. Heck, I'd take Colt before Vick and I think Colt is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated by the Cult.
I dont think Vick can just come off the street and light it up either, but Colt over Vick is a stretch...no...absurd. Vick should be used as a wildcat and gadget guy-pass, run, and catch. Yes he should be rusty, but great talent doesn't go down the tube in 2 yrs. after playing the sport every since you were a child.
C) The worst case scenario is that Vick comes in here, Campbell wants a trade or to be cut, the Redskins release Campbell, Vick stinks, and the Redskins are stuck with a top 5 pick, and Campbell goes to Minnesota and lights it up.
The Redskins are dumb to immediately try to make a QB competition, but if they do, what you said could happen. I already stated how Vick should be used-wildcat and gadget.

LOL...people like you who are so over the top and live and breathe off any agenda or sterotype the media chooses to portray are funny to me. So you must know someone pretty well to call them scum and human garbage. I take it you have actually met Michael Vick and been exposed to his disease spreading right? So the thought of him actually benefiting from his prison term and being rehabilitated(which is the puropse of the key word "CORRECTIONAL" facility) is not and option at all in your book. So any athlete that makes a mistake should never be allowed the chance to attone for it? I guess Michael Phelps, Josh Hamilton, Tony LaRussa, and Ray Lewis are all human garbage according to you right? Here's a little bit of advice that might benefit you at some point in life "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

Have any of those people been to federal prison as of late? no? well, there's your answer.

Prison has nothing to do with rehabbing either. The prison system was set up for and is still used today as confinement for people who have proven to society, to be unfit for the general population. That is it. It has nothing to do with making better people.

Would you give somebody an incurable disease without telling them?

Do you lie about your real name?

Would you slam your dog to the ground until it died, because it wasn't violent?

Do you regularly use drugs?

Do you sell drugs or allow the selling of them from your home?

This certainly is your opinion and not fact. How do you know this? Have you spoken with Vick's coaches or are you GOD?!

That is what his coaches had said about him. That is fact.

I dont think Vick can just come off the street and light it up either, but Colt over Vick is a stretch...no...absurd. Vick should be used as a wildcat and gadget guy-pass, run, and catch. Yes he should be rusty, but great talent doesn't go down the tube in 2 yrs. after playing the sport every since you were a child.

His career passer rating is worse than JC's. His talent has never been that great at the NFL level.

The Redskins are dumb to immediately try to make a QB competition, but if they do, what you said could happen. I already stated how Vick should be used-wildcat and gadget.

Not only do we not run a wildcat, but Zorn has alreay said we won't.

That is what his coaches had said about him. That is fact.
What coaches? Who said it and when was it said?
His career passer rating is worse than JC's. His talent has never been that great at the NFL level.
Passer rating was affected by poor WR's, RB's and OL. Your assessment of his talent level is clouded by your dislike of him.
Not only do we not run a wildcat, but Zorn has alreay said we won't.
Coaches can change their mind. Nothing is written in stone. There's no one on the roster to run the wildcat, but if Vick was acquired, it would be.

1 in 3 people in America have had an STD. 100% of Americans are either embarrassed about it, or dont know, and they tell no one.

I would if my name was michael vick, the highest paid, most recognizable football player in the nfl at the time.

This is why he went to prison. Obviously it was stupid.

Everyone regularly uses drugs. Whats the difference between ephedra, marijuana, and hydroxycut? They are all drugs that can have a good and bad side effect. There are a million examples here, but they are moot points because everyone does drugs in some way, shape, or form.

No, however i dont really hang out with the drug using crowd. I assume the crowd that would watch a dog fight would do drugs though.

Have any of those people been to federal prison as of late? no? well, there's your answer.

Prison has nothing to do with rehabbing either. The prison system was set up for and is still used today as confinement for people who have proven to society, to be unfit for the general population. That is it. It has nothing to do with making better people.

I love how your so adamant about someone who you've never met before. I didn't know Micahel Vick was convicted of selling drugs, and It's soooo far fetched that a female might attack and athlete's personal life or sexual encounters for money correct? I guess whatever is said in the media about anybody it's certifed the truth to you. So Martha Stewart has been proven to society to be unfit for the general population? I guess prison had nothing to do with the rehabilitation of a street kid named Malcolm Little(Malcolm X)

What's with all the name calling? It's semi-sad to see grown people resort to calling each other morons.

And no, it doesn't effect me. I don't know you or care about your opinion of me.

It's just sad.

It's an internet conversation... And even if it was a real life convo it's just differing opinions about a game. A game we love, and a game some of us make part of their living on... But it's still a game. Relax.

The issues at hand are serious... But they certainly don't make it okay to be holier than thou and treat others like pieces of crap. Let's have a conversation like adults. Point. Counterpoint.

Not: Point. Insult + Nothing of substance

Archived