Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I need a pc question answered by a techie

Tommy-the-Greek

Anything that big, the first thing I'd try to do is FTP it. However, if you don't have an FTP server up and running on your machine, I don't blame you. They're not really that hard to set up, but its probably not any easier or faster than burning a CD and mailing it.

The other thing you might try is if your ISP provides you with a 10MB or so homepage, make a real simple HTML document (you can use Netscape Composer, and you can even do it with Word, but I've never done one that way), put the file on the web page, and your ISP tech support should help you get on the 'net. Then you can send the link http://www.myisp.com/tommy/homepage.html to your friend and they can download it from there.

Originally posted by tommy-the-greek

Is there a way to transfer a 600,000kb file thru an e-mail or icq or msn messenger system? Is it impossible to transfer a file this big?

I know I could burn a copy and mail it but it would be so much easier if I could just send it via a messenger system.

Ok, forgive my math - is that 60MB or 600MB? What's that big - movie maybe...

I was thinking you could split the file and email the split portions of it and then rejoin it on the other end.

Also, if its compressible - try maximum compression using WinZip or something like that program.

Other than that, you will probably be very limited.

FTP would be the route for a file that big or the homepage route if you got one big enough. Depending on the file type, compression routines may be able to reduce it by a large amount but still...well I know I'd hate to get an email attachment that large and your friend's email host may reject it anyway.

If those avenues aren't available to you, burn a CD and sneaker it.

Archived