Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nice Move, Vinny

Oldfan

Right, but if the QB throws 8-10 20-40 yard passes a game his % is going to go down. Campbell throws 90% 0-10 yard passes and his % isn't as good as some who throw deep 25% or more. So you might now say its the small receivers, but Moss and Randel El don't drop a higher % of balls than a guy like TO.

That's true, but there are still more factors to consider. One of the biggest is protection. Protection is the great equalizer.

Jason's first half in 2008 was better statistically than the second half. From my seat, the difference was mostly about protection. I'd fault Jason with not making reads well enough to anticipate the pressure and quickly react to it, an ability which should improve with experience.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Jason. I"m only saying that the completion percentage is not a reliable measurement of accuracy.

My major concern about Jason is not in his overall accuracy but in his ability to time the slants which are emphasized in the WCO approach. I thought he didn't do well on those patterns last season even when he had time to throw.

Right. This offseason and the contributions of Jim Zorn and the 2008 rookies next season should give us enough evidence to weigh Vinny's ability fairly.

Agreed and I am rooting for him OF...

What do you think of the following FA's I'd like us to acquire?

WR Nate Washington

DT Gabe Watson

OL Khalif Barnes

Go heavy offensive line in the draft and hopefully VC can net us some more picks...

Agreed and I am rooting for him OF...

What do you think of the following FA's I'd like us to acquire?

WR Nate Washington

DT Gabe Watson

OL Khalif Barnes

Go heavy offensive line in the draft and hopefully VC can net us some more picks...

I don't have enough information to weigh in on individual players, CB. I'm very opinionated when it comes to the broad strokes of playing GM or coach, but when it comes to the specifics, I feel like I don't have a choice but to defer to the Skins decision-makers.

Generally, I view the draft and FA as offering opportunities that have to be seized to add talent at a bargain cost in draft picks and cap hits. I don't advocate reaching very far to fill needs.

I'm always thinking of long-term value, unconcerned about next season, no matter what our needs are or what our roster looks like, good or bad.

Right, but if the QB throws 8-10 20-40 yard passes a game his % is going to go down. Campbell throws 90% 0-10 yard passes and his % isn't as good as some who throw deep 25% or more. So you might now say its the small receivers, but Moss and Randel El don't drop a higher % of balls than a guy like TO.

Good point. Can we first agree that JC comp. % is good?

I do get what you are saying though. (JC's slighty lower comp % then few other QBs that throw downfield more)

But, its kinda like comparing apples and oranges.

I think a big factor in the comp. % is time in the system. (along with several other factors)

And not only JC but the entire team is in the 1st year of the WCO.

I think as JC, Zorn and the team (receivers, o-line, coaches) learn the WCO every aspect of the passing game will improve. Its generally accepted that it takes 3 years to master the WCO. (assuming its properly installed with scheme, players and coaches)

I would bet that those QBs you are speaking of have on average will have been in their respective system for longer, have better offensive lines, and might have a better receiving corps.

Also about the drops, I agree that Moss and ARE don’t drop many more passes then some other receivers.

But, you have to consider that the Redskins run a short passing version of the WCO (think Tampa Bay’s passing game vs. Denver’s passing game) with heavy use of 3 step drop routes. TO and the other receivers are going downfield more often and are fighting for ’jump balls’ more often because of this their catches are more difficult then our receiving corps. Our receivers should have a fewer dropped passes by average.

off topic but.....

It makes sense that JC isn’t winging the ball downfield to Tana and ARE. Tana is run by the defender deep threat and shifty run after the catch type receiver. Moss and ARE aren’t great at fighting for the ball in the air, they don't 'high point' or out jump the coverage to make downfield plays.

Archived