Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BR - Washington Redskins: 2009 Draft Predictions

J.Campbell17

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ft-predictions

In the 2008 NFL Draft, the Redskins used their first three draft picks, all of which were in the second round, on a Tight-End and two Wide Receivers. The problem with these picks were that those positions were already taken care of.

Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly were both chosen to play flank Wide Receiver. Devin Thomas proved to be useful at times like four receiver sets but does not get a lot of playing time. This is because of the player in front of them, one of the most explosive players in the NFL, Santana Moss.

So with all of the fire power that the Redskins have on skill positions and strenght on D-fence how did the Redskins finish the year at 8-8? Battles lost in the trenches.

Battles won on the line pave the way for success but this can also go the other way. Clinton Portis and Jason Campbell can only do so much with limited protection but they can also be as good as any other offence with proper blocking.

* B/R Ticket Guide

Powered by FanSnap.com

If there were any position where the Redskins clearly need help re-building, it is on the O-line. Four out of five of the starters have been playing for seven years or more.

One person I could see the Redskins taking is Cedrick Dockery, a Guard out of Texas. The 6'4'' 315 pound stature helped lead Texas to a win in the 2008 Fiesta Bowl. He would most likely end up taking the spot of Pete Kendall at Left Guard who has been in the NFL for 13 years.

Another guy that could end up on the line for the Skins is Kraig Urbik. During his tenure in college he has shown to be versatile play both at Right Guard and Tackle. He has also shown that he is durable by registering over 50 starts for the Badgers.

Click on the link for the rest of the article.

I see the team using the 13th pick to get one of the top offensive linemen ie. Jason Smith, Eben Britton but then there is also a possibiltiy that we can get an offensive lineman in free agency. I have heard Jon Runyan or Tra Thomas from the Eagles. If they do this then I see us going with either Brian Orakpo from Texas, BJ Raji from Boston College or Ray Maulagua from USC.

With only four picks in the draft we have to expect that the Vinny Cerrato is going to look to package one of the CB's or possibly a Ladell Betts to get a lineman and also accquire more picks. It will be very interesting between now and April.

Also: Any hardcore Skins fans out there need to check out the channel 'ESkins757' on Youtube. This is the offiicial home for Redskins fans on Virginia's Eastern Shore. Last season we here on Extremeskins blogging about the Parksley crew and now we are on Youtube. Check it out because we will have our Superbowl recap and Path to the Draft broadcast right after the Superbowl. Peace!!!!!!!!

My prediction is simple: we only have 4 picks so I'm not expecting any change in our record next year. I hope we have the wisdom to use those scant few picks wisely and perhaps trade down to get more. I just hate how many people think, year after year, how that "1 magic pick" is going to turn around our fortunes. All I can do, like you fellow Skins fan/sadist, is hope for the best come the draft and next season.

It all could change when free agency hits. Raji wont be there at 13, his stock is soaring like Branden Alberts last year. Granted combine hasnt happened obviously, so that could change after that. Its the only thing to talk about though.

I want them to take Caldwell in the 3rd (center-Alabama)

[quote name=JIn the 2008 NFL Draft, the Redskins used their first three draft picks, all of which were in the second round, on a Tight-End and two Wide Receivers. The problem with these picks were that those positions were already taken care of.

Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly were both chosen to play flank Wide Receiver. Devin Thomas proved to be useful at times like four receiver sets but does not get a lot of playing time. This is because of the player in front of them, one of the most explosive players in the NFL, Santana Moss.[/quote]

Where do the Bleacher Report writers/bloggers/whatever get this stuff from? WR was and still is an area of concern.

Devin Thomas? Useful? Not quite.

My prediction is simple: we only have 4 picks so I'm not expecting any change in our record next year. I hope we have the wisdom to use those scant few picks wisely and perhaps trade down to get more. I just hate how many people think, year after year, how that "1 magic pick" is going to turn around our fortunes. All I can do, like you fellow Skins fan/sadist, is hope for the best come the draft and next season.

I dont think anyone thinks that... its when you use those picks right over 3-4 years it changes a team look at NY... drafting tuck, Mathias Kiwanuka, Osi U... and what did we do with our pick(s) get forced into having to take a CB in 2005 because we let smoot go because "we didnt need to pay our players" we could let smoot, and antonio pierce go so what did we lose in the draft a shot at Shawne Merriman, or demarcus ware... then in 06 we traded away are pick and could have had a pro bowl center in Nick Mangold... but its easy to look back....

Its not that magic pick it's doing it right.

Archived