Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do we grade Zorn's Offense?

Thinking Skins

The following is an image from the washingtonpost before the season started that gives us a bit of insight into the things that Zorn hoped to accomplish in his WCO.

GR2008090202230.jpg

Having seen these things, and having now experienced the season (the rise and the fall), how do you think we did at accomplishing these things?

I notice the comment about Thrash being more involved (and I remember people saying how important he would be to installing the WCO since he was the only one who had experience in this offense), but did he (and the other WRs) perform well?

In 2008,

Santana Moss had 79 receptions for 1044 yards

Antwaan Randle El had 53 receotions for 593 yards

Devin Thomas had 15 receotions for 120 yards

James Thrash had 9 receptions for 81 yards

Malcolm Kelly had 3 receptions for 18 yards

In 2007,

Santana Moss had 61 receptions for 808 yards

Antwaan Randle El had 51 receptions for 728 yards

James Thrash had 9 receptions for 107 yards

Keenan McCardell had 22 receptions for 256 yards

Reche Caldewll had 15 receptions for 141 yards

Brandon Lloyd had 2 receptions fof 14 yards

In 2006,

Santana Moss had 55 receptions for 790 yards

Antwaan Randle El had 32 receptions for 351 yards

Brandon Lloyd had 23 receptions for 365 yards

James Thrash had 12 receptions for 151 yards

David Patten had 1 reception for 25 yards.

How were the running backs as receivers out of the backfield?

In 2008,

Clinton Portis had 28 receptions for 218 yards

Ladell Betts had 22 receptions for 200 yards

Mike Sellers had 12 receptions for 98 yards

Rock Cartright had 1 reception for -7 yards

In 2007,

Clinton Portis had 47 receptions for 389 yards

Ladell Betts had 21 receptions for 174 yards

Mike Sellers had 17 receptions for 117 yards

In 2006,

Ladell Betts had 53 receptions for 445 yards

Mike Sellers had 18 receptions for 105 yards

Clinton Portis had 17 receptions for 170 yards

T.J.Duckett had 2 receptions for 16 yards

What about the TEs? How were they as receivers?

In 2008,

Chris Cooley had 83 receptions for 849 yards

Todd Yoder had 8 receptions for 50 yards

Fred Davis had 3 receptions for 27 yards

In 2007,

Chris Cooley had 66 receptions for 786 yards

Todd Yoder had 7 receptions for 97 yards

Brian Kozlowski had 1 receptions for 5 yards

In 2006,

Chris Cooley had 57 receptions for 734 yards

Todd Yoder had 1 receptions for 4 yards

Brian Kozlowski had 1 receptions for 1 yards

Christian Fauria had 2 receptions for 17 yards

What does all this mean? I don't know. But I really want to look at Zorn's offense more critically than just blaming somebody or giving a list of excuses. So I just looked at a bit of data from the previous few seasons to see how the skill positions stacked up.

What we can see is that other than Santana Moss, Chris Cooley, and Ladell Betts, most of the offensive players had a decrease in 2008 in their receiving numbers from the same numbers of 2007. Even with respect to the WRs, after the draft we were comparing the production of Caldwell/Lloyd/McCardell/Thrash and asked jokingly if we would get more production out of our rookies. I guess that question has been answered with a resounding "NO".

But I also included the stats for the 2006 season - an admitably bad season - to compare the first year results in Zorn's system to the first year results in Saunders's system. So could some of the problems with Zorn's production be similar to those of Saunders and that pesky 700 page playbook?

I don't know. But I think that if we are going to expect more from our offense in 2009, we're going to have to get more from people not named Moss and Cooley.

let's admit the truth. Zorn was not prepared to be a Head Coach and admitted in March that he was still scrambling to complete a playbook for camp.

this was not a smooth operation.

if the Redskins had hired a Mike Holmgren or Jon Gruden they would have had an integrated offensive system with both passing game and rushing components that worked in tandem.

the team also would have made SOME moves to bring in players that were PROVEN in running that particular system.

instead, the Redskins gave Zorn a cast of veterans that were acquired to run Gibbs' power rushing and play action offense and complemented them with a rookie class of receivers that was among the least inspiring in recent memory.

let's admit the truth. Zorn was not prepared to be a Head Coach and admitted in March that he was still scrambling to complete a playbook for camp.

this was not a smooth operation.

if the Redskins had hired a Mike Holmgren or Jon Gruden they would have had an integrated offensive system with both passing game and rushing components that worked in tandem.

the team also would have made SOME moves to bring in players that were PROVEN in running that particular system.

Thats speculation.

When Zorn was first announced as the head coach, I said I'd judge him by how he responds to controversy and how the team responds. What I saw was him responding to the initial losing of two starters by starting off well in the preseason (after completing a trade that I didn't like). Then they lost the last few preseason games and the game against NY, and things were looking like a slum season. They responded by winning the next 4. Then we lost to the Rams and responded by winning 2 in a row.

Then we had the Pitt debacle and I didn't really see him respond from that (although we can debate about whether the Seattle and Philly wins were positive steps).

Whether he was prepared for the job or not, he now has a year of experience, so he doesn't have that "rookie coach" excuse. So I'm hoping that all the 'jitters' are gone and trying to analyze what to expect from Zorny year 1 to Zorny year 2.

instead, the Redskins gave Zorn a cast of veterans that were acquired to run Gibbs' power rushing and play action offense and complemented them with a rookie class of receivers that was among the least inspiring in recent memory.

I don't know if this is the 'least inspiring rookie class in recent memory'. Our 2007 class brought in one starter and some potential. The only times we've had more than 2 guys who had potential from the draft was in 2002 (Ramsey, Betts, Royal, Cartwright) and 2006 (Rocky, Montgomery, Doughty, Golston).

We'll see how Thomas, Davis, Kelly, Rinehart, and Brennan work out, but 4 of them figure to be at least competitors for a lot more playing time come training camp.

So could some of the problems with Zorn's production be similar to those of Saunders and that pesky 700 page playbook?

Yes. But completely the opposite.

Saunders confused our players with too much "homework." Zorn told us in the beginning he planned on implementing a very basic offense with limited packages... so that players might "ease" into the new scheme.

It worked great for the first half of the season! But then Zorn grew complacent and teams began to figure out EXACTLY what we were doing.

My '08 Grade: D-

My '09 prediction: B-

I'd be a whole heap more optimistic toward year two with a rookie HC with a years expeareance under his belt if it wasn't for Coach Z's stubbornly arrogant refusel in his season ending wrap up to the media that all's well with the scheme, the QB, and the Coaching staff; when it's plain for everyone that suffers the agony of watching this team on a Sunday that it plainly ISN'T. :doh:

I fear pretty much what the end of your piece alluded to TS; that most EVERYTHING will fall on the shoulders of Moss and Cooley to produce again, along with Portis digging us out of holes with his workload.

Hopefully this years rookies will step up with a years pro expeareance behind them; but, ultimately, it starts and ends with the QB. And from what we've seen from his life as a pro thus far, even if we fix the line in front of him, he's just not got "IT" to make the fast mental moves needed to win at this level on a consistant basis.

I know your looking for bigger answers than just a Coach and QB TS, and we do have big issues right across the board; but the play of ANY offense is so intrinsically linked to those two that it ultimately has to be a major factor.

And when his HC refuses to accept that on his QB, or for that matter put any real blame on himself and his own scheme, then it's not a good recipe for success.

Here's to another season of run-of-the-mill mediocrity to go in line with most every other outside of the odd one since the last Lombardi. :(

Hail.

Oh, I forgot the grade. A low D, with a case for lower, given we managed to put up less points than an 0-16 team. The positives were few and far between.

Archived