Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Investments

Slateman

I completely agree with you. Nothing is for free. If you want to make money you first have to have money.

This is year was my fifth year of doing it. You have to have a plan and stick to it. The best thing to do is go to one, and watch it. Also talk to people who are doing it, because there is a strategy to it. I think it is a very good alternate to the stock market, or other investments like that.

I like your plan, and have looked into it before, but it's not for the rookie. If you go this route, I agree you should go and watch, and understand what you are doing.

I bought some of this mutual fund today

http://finance.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=MUTF:AIVSX

It is in my son's 529 A account that we started 2 years ago... and despite us putting a ton of money into it the 529 is worth less today than when we opened the account :doh:

So anyways, its a good value I think :)

American Funds is actually a pretty good company. That is one of the largest funds in the country you are looking at there.

One benefit of them, unlike Vanguard, Fidelity and a few of the others you see all over the tv set, is that they don't pay for advertising out of the fund returns. They don't need to advertise. Nor do they cater to brokers...golfing trips, etc.

It is managed, which I would 100% recommend over just an index fund, although techboy and his college professor will say otherwise.:)

Make sure you get the "heart healthy" variety of olive oil...otherwise you might get transaction B'ed...:D

I also just recently invested in some organic peanut butter. From what I hear peanuts are high in monounsaturated fat, and very heart healthy.

Only problem, and I never realized this, peanut butter has hydrogenated oils in it. So I got some of the organic... tastes better too :D.

Trying to cut hydrogenated oils out of my diet completely- amazing how many foods they are in.

So I'm investing in my health long term so I'll be around to spend the money I'm trying to accumulate :)

American Funds is actually a pretty good company. That is one of the largest funds in the country you are looking at there.

One benefit of them, unlike Vanguard, Fidelity and a few of the others you see all over the tv set, is that they don't pay for advertising out of the fund returns. They don't need to advertise. Nor do they cater to brokers...golfing trips, etc.

Good to know, thanks :cheers:

McD5- are you in the market? (do you trade/advise for a living I mean)

I also just recently invested in some organic peanut butter. From what I hear peanuts are high in monounsaturated fat, and very heart healthy.

Only problem, and I never realized this, peanut butter has hydrogenated oils in it. So I got some of the organic... tastes better too :D.

Trying to cut hydrogenated oils out of my diet completely- amazing how many foods they are in.

So I'm investing in my health long term so I'll be around to spend the money I'm trying to accumulate :)

Just beware of "saturated" fats as well and your son should have a great college education ahead.

It is managed, which I would 100% recommend over just an index fund, although techboy and his college professor will say otherwise.:)

My friends wife works for American Funds and swears by them.

My friends wife works for American Funds and swears by them.

They tend to have pretty low expense ratios and good performance, so a person could do a lot worse, especially if one can avoid the load (as is sometimes possible in retirement type accounts).

I see you're still having difficulty with this singular vs. plural distinction. :)

Just for fun techboy.....not a competiton.....fun only....and definitely not investment advice...

Why don't we put my 18 years of market timing to the test over the next 3 months or so?

I move a lot of money very quickly into and out of the markets daily.

Mostly individual stocks.....although some 2x and even 3x leveraged etfs.

I won't post any individual stocks here.....by the time I have.....I am likely selling them an hour later.....but,

I do believe I can continue to call major market moves--the 500 point days....to the exact day, weeks ahead of time.

Let's see if I can tell you exactly what the market is going to do....on a day-by-day basis.

3 months from now......who knows? You may have a totally different idea about market timing.

Just for fun techboy.....not a competiton.....fun only....and definitely not investment advice...

Why don't we put my 18 years of market timing to the test over the next 3 months or so?

I move a lot of money very quickly into and out of the markets daily.

Mostly individual stocks.....although some 2x and even 3x leveraged etfs.

I won't post any individual stocks here.....by the time I have.....I am likely selling them an hour later.....but,

I do believe I can continue to call major market moves--the 500 point days....to the exact day, weeks ahead of time.

Let's see if I can tell you exactly what the market is going to do....on a day-by-day basis.

3 months from now......who knows? You may have a totally different idea about market timing.

Not buying it, instead of talking smack, how about you provide your trades as you do them. That way we can monitor your moves and see how you do.

Don't hide behind your talk. Lay out your trades and let us witness your genius.

Of course, I need to see your trade BEFORE the buy laying out the price paid. I don't want to see them after a day of bumps in stock prices.

So tomorrow is Tuesday, what are your plans prior to market open.

Thanks!

:cheers:

McD5, if you somehow manage to flip heads a bunch of times, it isn't going to impress me, and I'm certainly not going to take one point of short term anecdotal evidence over reams of research, both theoretical and real world.

Fair enough....was just trying to help.

I would advise keeping an open mind in almost all areas of life.....especially in something as crucial as investing.

Things like Elliott wave theory, phi mate turn dates, fibonacci sequences and even lunar cycles are so much of what moves the markets these days. With 80% of a stock's direction based on the sector itself, and not the company....I find it useful.

Especially with over 70% of daily volume now being run by black boxes and computers. Whether you follow it or not....they do.

Not sure if you follow Cramer or not--I don't, I hate him, but that is another story.....but tonight on his show he said he has now changed his investing strategy to emphasize technical trading. Simply because of who makes up the markets these days.

Maybe he is tired of losing people money?:silly:

It was actually hysterical watching that bozo trying to explain charts--but I give him credit for trying.

Anway, it would involve an extra time commitment from me, and not going to shove it down your throat to only fall on deaf ears.

Good luck with whatever strategy you use. :cheers:

so mcd5, you really think the market is going to tank to 5k? sheesh, it will be Mad Max beyond thunderdome time if that happens

I certainly hope not. My heart says no.....my mind even says no....but many chartists say yes.

Commercial real estate folding....more banking problems....more Madoffs....and more bankruptcies could be the catalyst.

I do believe we see 10k-10,500 first, by as early as even February 17th.

I certainly hope not. My heart says no.....my mind even says no....but many chartists say yes.

Commercial real estate folding....more banking problems....more Madoffs....and more bankruptcies could be the catalyst.

Yikes I hope not. That would certainly put a damper in my 2009.

Not buying it, instead of talking smack, how about you provide your trades as you do them. That way we can monitor your moves and see how you do.

Don't hide behind your talk. Lay out your trades and let us witness your genius.

Of course, I need to see your trade BEFORE the buy laying out the price paid. I don't want to see them after a day of bumps in stock prices.

So tomorrow is Tuesday, what are your plans prior to market open.

Thanks!

:cheers:

You are welcome to follow my trades, and the trades of others, in the world's largest real-time daytrading website. I post them all there.

Usually 450 traders there at any given moment. I have no affiliation to the sponsor....but was approached by them years ago, and asked to participate.

Out of 450 live traders....6 have been noted with a "well respected" highlight--given out to the members that everyone else votes as most successful, and that people like to follow.

I am one of the six.

www.daytraders.org

As far as tomorrow.....I have been short the market for two days now.

I expect lower by this Friday....although with some bounce attempts in between....and then we can start to move up again as early as Friday or Monday.

I did buy some gold options today.....and started to nibble on some oil that I sold a week ago at much higher prices.

Yikes I hope not. That would certainly put a damper in my 2009.

Yeah, tell me about it. Sick of the doom and gloom.

We have a bix mess to fix though......lots of problems, and weak investor confidence in the entire system right now.

You are welcome to follow my trades, and the trades of others, in the world's largest real-time daytrading website. I post them all there.

Usually 450 traders there at any given moment. I have no affiliation to the sponsor....but was approached by them years ago, and asked to participate.

Out of 450 live traders....6 have been noted with a "well respected" highlight--given out to the members that everyone else votes as most successful, and that people like to follow.

I am one of the six.

www.daytraders.org

As far as tomorrow.....I have been short the market for two days now.

I expect lower by this Friday....although with some bounce attempts in between....and then we can start to move up again as early as Friday or Monday.

I did buy some gold options today.....and started to nibble on some oil that I sold a week ago at much higher prices.

i cant do anything on that site errors galore

post it here

thanks!!!!

i cant do anything on that site errors galore

post it here

thanks!!!!

No errors on that site Chip. It does require downloading an irc chat server though.

A little bit of a pain....especially if you are even half as stupid as I am with computers.....but easy once it is done.

I really don't have the time to post both here and there.....but if I do think something big is about to happen.....I will be happy to post it here.

Edit: I am in the #daytraders chatroom....if you want to stop in and say hello.

If you want to see craziness.....check that place out sometime.

Archived