Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Living - Suggestions?

drums and skins

My girlfriend has narrowed down some of her residency choices to Baltimore, D.C. and Pittsburgh. I think of all of them, she'd like Hopkins Bayview the most if she matched there, and seeing as how that is my favorite pick of the local hospitals she interviewed at, I'm trying to come up with some examples of where she could live (she wants to buy) if she were to work at Hopkins Bayview. The main concern is safety. I know Baltimore is a pretty high crime city, but how safe is it in the area around the hospital (Bayview) and what are some safer neighborhoods near Bayview or within the city limits so that her commute is minimal (less than 20 minutes)?

My thoughts on the crime are 1.) don't become friends with criminals (as most violent crimes the people involved have a history), 2.) stay away from shady neighborhoods and just don't be walking down unlit streets by yourself at night and 3.) the real crime in Baltimore is actually the property taxes.

Thanks.

Oh, and I have been searching with hotpads.com. If you have any other suggestions, I'll check them out.

Hey there, I live downtown baltimore for a couple years with a nurse who worked at multiple hospitals in the area. The trick is to get into a community with Baltimore, like Federal hill or Canton (very trendy areas with relatively low crime util you get to the perimeter of the area or you are running around like an idiot asking to be mugged. I have friends who live in Canton area AND those that live in federal hill. I worked at bayview for a bit during some sleep studies we were running and there was no problem to comute from our place in federal hill to Bayview...I suspect Canton would be even closer! A lot of my younger cousins who are now graduating college and get their masters and stuff are gravitating toward Canton for some reason. But that's about all I have for ya. :)

Why not live just outside the city? Less property taxes. Lower crime rates. Cheaper housing. Canton and Fed Hill are nice, but you'll pay a premium to live there. What's the longest commute she'd want?

Not an option. She needs to be closer. I think Mount Vernon is nice. I don't know about crime right there.

Not an option. She needs to be closer. I think Mount Vernon is nice. I don't know about crime right there.

ok. i just saw the <20 min. commute time.

I live in Parkville in baltimore County. I could be at JHB in 20 minutes easy. There are a few spots in the county where this is possible. For what it would cost to own a rowhome in the city, it's possible she could own a single family house in the county.

Federal Hill, Canton and Mount Vernon are the big 3 for young professionals.

You need to know that due to gentrification, you could be on the most expensive block in Baltimore and find some boarded up row houses 2 blocks over. A lot of the neighborhoods can look pretty scary, but it really isnt that bad.

Also check the location, but I think Bayview is close to Penn Station isnt it? The MARC train that goes from DC to Baltimore and Baltimore to DC is so ridiculously convenient. Its like a 55 minute train ride. This may allow you to live somewhere outside of baltimore/dc or even in dc.

That being said I love Baltimore. Cops don't really hassle you because they have so much other stuff to do, I have never gotten a ticket here. I've also never been a victim of crime but some of my friends have. As long as you accept the fact that you may have to replace a broken window in your car every now and then, Baltimore can be a fantastically cheap place to live. I'm going to look at the nicest row house I have ever seen later today in a gated community that is only 1700$ a month.

ok. i just saw the <20 min. commute time.

I live in Parkville in baltimore County. I could be at JHB in 20 minutes easy. There are a few spots in the county where this is possible. For what it would cost to own a rowhome in the city, it's possible she could own a single family house in the county.

I live on the corner of Northern Parkway / Harford Road!

I live in Towson, which is 20 minutes from downtown. You just hop on 83 South and you're there. Pretty simple commute and there are plenty of nice neighborhoods. Baltimore really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I've been up here for 4 years and haven't run into too much trouble. I would really look into the Towson area, there is alot of stuff just in Towson that you really never have to go to downtown Baltimore unless you want to go to the Inner Harbor.

Forster, go out to the bars tonight!

My Aunt lives in Baltimore. I think she lives on Charles street. I have been down there multiple times and it seems to be in an alright part of town. The 8x10 is right up the street from where she is at. So that is pretty sweet.

As a side note, my mom had an accident (fire related...erk) and she went to Bayview. They were fantastic there. Good luck!

Hey there, I live downtown baltimore for a couple years with a nurse who worked at multiple hospitals in the area. The trick is to get into a community with Baltimore, like Federal hill or Canton (very trendy areas with relatively low crime util you get to the perimeter of the area or you are running around like an idiot asking to be mugged.

So would the Riverside/Federal Hill perimeter be considered a bit shady?

Thanks, I'll look into Federal Hill and Canton as well.

I live in Towson, which is 20 minutes from downtown. You just hop on 83 South and you're there. Pretty simple commute and there are plenty of nice neighborhoods. Baltimore really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I've been up here for 4 years and haven't run into too much trouble. I would really look into the Towson area, there is alot of stuff just in Towson that you really never have to go to downtown Baltimore unless you want to go to the Inner Harbor.

Forster, go out to the bars tonight!

I think I'll be uptown later tonight, what bars you goin to?

Archived