Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MD Fans - Heyward Bey to NFL

TimmySmith

Feels like a mistake. You always hear how he's supposed to be a "wow" player, but he's neutralized so often. From the article he has good stats, but I think he bought his hype.
I hear you. And I am not sure what to think. But somehow I feel that he would have had crazy numbers at Florida or Texas. Great talents just do not seem to excel under the Fridge.

Maybe, but the Fridge has had pretty good overall success esp. for a MD coach. MD football was in the dumpster for a long time. It does surprise me that his successes hasn't really translated into super blue chippers, so maybe you're right.

The only thing that has neutralized Bey is MD's QBs.:2cents:
Perhaps. But why have an open competition at the beginning of the year, when Turner played so well at the end of the last. Freidgen should have given him the job and then taken it away of he played poorly. Instead you ruin the guy's confidence and set the team back four games. Fridge seems to do this with all his offensive guys.

Well since I don't think the Redskins can justify drafting him, where would you guys like to him go. Baltimore seems like a good fit but I don't think anybody would want to see him go there. Minnesota might be good for him. He might struggle in year one but one they got a solid QB he shine along side Peterson.

Maybe, but the Fridge has had pretty good overall success esp. for a MD coach. MD football was in the dumpster for a long time. It does surprise me that his successes hasn't really translated into super blue chippers, so maybe you're right.

Him and Gary Williams both seem to have this problem. I know rivals.com and ESPN rankings aren't the end all be all as far as who the best college players will be, but none of the top prospects come here. UNC currently has the top recruiting class in the ACC, for FOOTBALL. The D.C. area seems to have quite a few top prospects in both sports year in and year out but Maryland can't draw any of them. Basketball maybe a little harder with local kids having Georgetown as an option.

Perhaps the University needs to do some research and find away to upgrade the campus or something to give these kids a reason to come here.

The campus is fine. The town is a dump.

Gary isn't a blue-chip-friendly guy, but Fridge would take every blue-chipper he could get his hands on. That's why the condition of the town of College Park is so important. Recruits see that kind of thing and it wrecks the overall image of the place, even if the campus itself is nice.

The only solution to the town would be to level it and start over. The time to fix the problems was as they were happening, decades ago. With firmer political connections over the past 50 years the University could have pulled strings to guarantee that upscale, planned retail and higher-end residential property priced the blight and crime out of College Park before they even arrived. Now it's way too late, no matter how much money they try to dump into spot-redevelopment like East Campus. It costs 100x as much to fix these things after the fact as it would to get them right at design time.

I think part of the problem is the fact that College Park doesn't orbit Baltimore or Annapolis. Being near DC is great for students, but that doesn't buy you much with the MD state government. In terms of the University's physical surroundings, the blighted reality has been "out of sight, out of mind" with lawmakers for half a century.

Not that any of this matters to DHB. He's off to get paid.

Archived