Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

With all the talk of a good change of pace back to compliment Portis...

.Guy.

Why is Betts not a good change of pace?

To me, any talk of getting a new RB is just fan speculation, because fans seem to think RBs are the most import ant part of the team because they see the RB on TV carry the ball a lot.

When in actuallity more goes into the sucess of the running game than the RB and his "change of pace", like the blocking of the line a receivers, and the ability to set up the run, by running plays that spread the D, and making sure that your ALL your players know enough of the playbook so that you can call any play in the playbook to help spread out the feild.

And RBs are a more "fun" position to think about than Linemen and Linebackers.

I didn't say that a running back would be a priority over a OLine man and DLine man. But I wouldn't mind using a later round pick on a speedy back. I don't see Betts as a significant change of pace to Portis. They both lack break away speed. Plus I wouldn't mind getting a back with some descent hands too.

No need to "compliment" Portis.

Dump Portis. End of discussion.

Let him worry about his complimentary back in Detroit next season.

If Parcells was our coach/GM.......Portis would have been kicked off the team last night.

No need to put up with his crap. He sucks. 5 years, 1 playoff win. $60 million.

Next.

Why is Betts not a good change of pace?

Because he's a poor mans Clinton Portis that brings no other skills to the table. Change of pace means - different type of back. A speed guy or a bull brought in to give the offense more options out of the backfield.

Because he's a poor mans Clinton Portis that brings no other skills to the table. Change of pace means - different type of back. A speed guy or a bull brought in to give the offense more options out of the backfield.

He is a huge change of pace.

No me-first baby bs like Portis. Not a cancer.

Much better receiver out of the backfield.

1/5th the cost of Portis.

More punishing back. He actually hurts defenders.

Night and Day difference. Now the question is, who can we get to compliment Betts.

If we were a real team....with a Parcells type....they would be working on this right now.

We might have the right guy on the roster already. A few years back, Nemo Broughton was forced into RB duty in the preseason because of injuries. He looked great, and he is a big, bruising guy. After that, he's had some injuries and put back in the role of backup FB to Sellers. But after seeing what an unheralded FB like Leron McClain has done in B'more, I would really like to see us give Nemo another chance to show his stuff at RB. He's been with the team a few years now and is probably already very well-versed in the pass-pro duties.

If we were a real team....with a Parcells type....they would be working on this right now.

Dude even if Parcells were here there is no way he could move CP with that messed up contract. Though if Parcells was here I doubt CP gets that stupid big contract but that is not the situation. No GM would come into this situation thinking they could reasonably get rid of CP in the next 2 years. So we are with CP whether you like it or not so lets not talk about getting rid of him since it is impossible. kthanks.

Dude even if Parcells were here there is no way he could move CP with that messed up contract. Though if Parcells was here I doubt CP gets that stupid big contract but that is not the situation. No GM would come into this situation thinking they could reasonably get rid of CP in the next 2 years. So we are with CP whether you like it or not so lets not talk about getting rid of him since it is impossible. kthanks.

While he has the worst contract in the history of the franchise, nothing is impossible.

If we had a smart FO, which of course we don't....one of the worst three in the league in fact, we would do exactly what Parcells did with JT.

Hold Portis until training camp. Wait for someone else's starting RB to have a serious injury, and then deal him.....receiving some help back on the cap hit.

It isn't difficult to run a good NFL team. We just have morons in charge.

Personally I would draft the best possible middle round back and just go o line and d line for the rest of the draft. Also if you don't think Colt Brennan can play, then I say draft a qb as I do not think Jason Campbell is the answer. He holds the ball too long and doesn't recognize blitzes. Also Clinton Portis would be traded or released in the off season if it were my team. At this point you either turn the team over to Zorn or you let Portis run it.

Don't draft a RB. Look at free agent rookies for your change of pace.

Agreed.

People, we have FOUR picks this year...Are you seriously telling me you can't think of 4 bigger needs on this team than RB?....

OL(X2, maybe even 3)
DT                                >             RB
DE
OLB

you could even argue a 3rd CB is needed with Smoots age, and Springs leaving.

He is a huge change of pace.

No me-first baby bs like Portis. Not a cancer.

Much better receiver out of the backfield.

1/5th the cost of Portis.

More punishing back. He actually hurts defenders.

Night and Day difference. Now the question is, who can we get to compliment Betts.

You forgot the part about him not even being close to having the talent Portis has(which is why he's always been a back up/2nd back, and the fact that he'll be 30 next season....I don't know about you, but I can't name too many succesful backs that are 30+...

Look, we are set at RB,

If Portis goes down, Betts can finish the year and not waste the season,

Betts is a change of pace, Betts style is to wait for a hole to open up, Portis' is to attack full speed ahead. Betts is a receiving back, CP is a blocking back.

Rock is great too, KR ability, speed, and has two 100 yard games in the small amount of games he was starting for us several years back.

Why waste picks, cap, time on a position that will not improve the team that much, but does have the posibility to hurt the team if things go wrong?

You forgot the part about him not even being close to having the talent Portis has(which is why he's always been a back up/2nd back, and the fact that he'll be 30 next season....I don't know about you, but I can't name too many succesful backs that are 30+...

You sound like Dan Snyder.

Truth is, no one knows for sure what kind of talent he has. Impossible to tell with 2-3 carries a game.

What we do know for sure, is that when he did start, he crushed anything Portis has ever done beyond belief:

2006: 1,150 yards in only 8 starts. Another nearly 500 yards in receiving.

2008: 1,497 yards for Portis....in 16 starts.

300 more yards in 8 more games. Pathetic.

And at 5x the cost of Betts to boot. Insane.

There is no statistical evidence at all that suggests that Portis is any better, when each is given the chance to start.

There is no statistical evidence at all that suggests that Portis is any better, when each is given the chance to start.

Yeah you're right....The team has decided to make him 2nd string because he has much more talent...that's exactly it.

I really don't know why you ride his nuts so much....Your man-crush on betts is one of the biggest I've ever seen.

See you in a week. You ought to read the sticky threads before you come back.

-me

Yeah you're right....The team has decided to make him 2nd string because he has much more talent...that's exactly it.

I really don't know why you ride his nuts so much....Your man-crush on betts is one of the biggest I've ever seen.

They choose to play him for the same two reasons that they choose to play JC.

1. They have too much invested in him. We gave up Champ, a 2nd rounder, and a small fortune in his salary/bonuses.

2. We don't have any men in the FO. We have wusses, who insist on staying with the starter, instead of actually giving the backup a chance to see if they might be better, and might be able to save us money. See Colt, Todd Collins and Betts.

Parcells would dump Portis immediately. No questions asked.

While he has the worst contract in the history of the franchise, nothing is impossible.

If we had a smart FO, which of course we don't....one of the worst three in the league in fact, we would do exactly what Parcells did with JT.

Hold Portis until training camp. Wait for someone else's starting RB to have a serious injury, and then deal him.....receiving some help back on the cap hit.

It isn't difficult to run a good NFL team. We just have morons in charge.

JTs contract is small peanuts compared to what Portis would cost if we cut him. Trading him would be hard becuase of the said contract as no team is dumb enough to pick it up even if their starters go down.

JTs contract is small peanuts compared to what Portis would cost if we cut him. Trading him would be hard becuase of the said contract as no team is dumb enough to pick it up even if their starters go down.

No team on earth was stupid enough to give up a second rounder for JT.....until we lost 2 linemen.

Now..granted, no one is near our level of FO stupidity.

But having said that, if a contender does lose their RB.....we can certainly get something for him. Maybe they eat half the cap hit for us.

And why is that?...He didn't bench TO, who was much more vocal and has even gone as far as saying the rest of the team is conspiring together to make sure he doesn't get the ball.

Parcells wasn't allowed to dump TO.

Why do you think he left Dallas?

For the same reason that he would never come here. Because he can't have total control.

And you would know this how?.......

I think we'd all love to see your resume.

How many players are on an nfl team?

53 plus the practice squad?

Add in another 70 trainers.....coaches....assistants.

I manage 273 employees. I manage their pay. I hire/fire them. I manage their production numbers and targets. I manage their personalities. And I work myself on top of it.

An nfl team would be a step down in terms of time and responsibility.

What would make you think it is so difficult? Sign contracts every few years, then fire them if they don't live up to expectations. Motivate them....and get them to play ball.

That is a small organization. Not exactly brain surgery.

Truth is, no one knows for sure what kind of talent he has. Impossible to tell with 2-3 carries a game.

What we do know for sure, is that when he did start, he crushed anything Portis has ever done beyond belief:

2006: 1,150 yards in only 8 starts. Another nearly 500 yards in receiving.

2008: 1,497 yards for Portis....in 16 starts.

300 more yards in 8 more games. Pathetic.

And at 5x the cost of Betts to boot. Insane.

That is some pretty deseptive math, while he may have only gotten 8 "starts", He played every game and was pretty much splitting carries the first half of the year with Portis, then he got the rest of the caries from the game Portis was out,

I like Betts and I don't think he should be replaced with some other "change of pace", and I think he can start in this league, but lets not be deceptive.

Archived