Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Santana Finally Be Used The Right Way?

LoudMouth12thMan

After reading someone's post about Campbell's comments during his final presser this season, I thought about his comments regarding some "shocking" changes that may be made this off-season. I'm starting to feel like the Skins are still suffering from a lack of production by the wide receiving corp. I know, I know, the O line_______(fill in the blank), the qb, whatever. This isn't that thread. ;)

On to my point: I think that if the Redskins do make "shocking" moves it ought to involve putting Moss where he belongs which is in the slot and back as a punt returner. He shouldn't have a choice in the matter like he apparently had under Gibbs 2.0. He is an absolute weapon at both positions, respectively.

This could open up a can of worms (not my motivation) :), but I'm just wondering how far you think Zorn and Vinny are willing to go if indeed they only have a two year window. One year is complete. Do you believe Zorn would make this move this off-season? Who would be our #1, and who might go in a trade to go after a guy who can teach these young receivers how to develop? Do you bank on the fact that Devin Thomas or Kelly could start next year? :yikes: I know, I'm just asking the questions.....

HAIL!

One of them better be starting next season. Or at least a solid 3rd on the depth chart. Moss is a #1 WR all day, he's a great route runner with mad speed. He's capable of doing Steve Smith #s with a QB and another WR to complement him.

I think Devin Thomas is going to be a monster next season. I just have a feeling about it. I hope I'm right. As for Santana, they need to just get the ball in his hands, no matter what position he plays, except for the same old wide receiver screen. He's a playmaker! I agree, put him back as punt returner. If he gets hurt, he was just meant to get hurt!

One disappointing thing I heard in a quote from Jim Zorn is that when he asked Santana Moss to do a punt return versus the Ravens, Santana said he didn't want to. That really left me scratching my head.

That's my point...well one of them. I'm wondering if Zorn will say, "Santana, I need you as our PR guy. I'm not asking you, I need you there." I just have this feeling that Santana isn't going to have much of a say. I also wonder if that would mean Randle El gets shopped around.

we can't rely on our #1 WR to return punts, except for that rare occasion... would be way too risky for us to take our only productive WR and put him back there on a consistent basis... it's yet another, in my opinion, blatant deficiency of our FO to not be able to fill that position... ARE has been one of the worst punt returners I have ever seen... in 3 years with us, he's had 1 TD and averages of 6.5, 6.1 and 8.8 with I believe just 3 returns longer than 20 yards... yet, we continue to fail and replace him so we ask our #1 to pick up the failure of our FO...

we can't rely on our #1 WR to return punts, except for that rare occasion... would be way too risky for us to take our only productive WR and put him back there on a consistent basis... it's yet another, in my opinion, blatant deficiency of our FO to not be able to fill that position... ARE has been one of the worst punt returners I have ever seen... in 3 years with us, he's had 1 TD and averages of 6.5, 6.1 and 8.8 with I believe just 3 returns longer than 20 yards... yet, we continue to fail and replace him so we ask our #1 to pick up the failure of our FO...

So, would you suggest picking up a Teams guy whose sole responsibility is to return punts and kicks? Where does that put Rock Cartwright?

I don't know if I agree. They've got one of the most explosive PR guys in the game [speaking of Moss not El], yet they try to make him someone he's not. 2005 IMO was an anomaly in that Moss was able to play at a Pro Bowl level as a #1. Since, he's been getting by as a #1 and people have figured out how to stop him for multiple reasons including the lack of a solid supporting WR corp.

Rock is cheap and he's one of the best at his position. I think that Moss needs to check his ego at the door but that's just me.

So, would you suggest picking up a Teams guy whose sole responsibility is to return punts and kicks? Where does that put Rock Cartwright?

I don't know if I agree. They've got one of the most explosive PR guys in the game [speaking of Moss not El], yet they try to make him someone he's not. 2005 IMO was an anomaly in that Moss was able to play at a Pro Bowl level as a #1. Since, he's been getting by as a #1 and people have figured out how to stop him for multiple reasons including the lack of a solid supporting WR corp.

Rock is cheap and he's one of the best at his position. I think that Moss needs to check his ego at the door but that's just me.

I wouldn't suggest that at all... I'd suggest what most teams do and that is find a #3 or 4 receiver that can also return punts... thrash is dead weight in my opinion if he can't also return punts... what does he do for us on O otherwise? yet we haven't been able to replace him (as much as I like him and his attitude)... who else uses their #1 WR as a primary punt returner? no one in their right mind would cause they'd be out a #1 WR... the only reason ARE hasn't gotten hurt from punt returns cause it's much harder to get injured when you dive at the ground versus running through holes with maniacs running full bore at you... don't you think steve smith or andre johnson would be amazing on punt returns? smith started off as one but was soon relieved of that duty as soon as he proved himself as a WR (except for that rare occasion)... look at hester, once he became a WR, they stopped him from punt returns... the body just can't take that type of punishment and then be expected to go out there as the #1... maybe some rookie or young #2 WRs do it, but not a #1 this late in the game as moss...

Archived