Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Open QB Competition ????

Ant15fromNJ

yeah, absolutely right there. i can see another season in this WCO scheme with JC and maybe a new O-Cord. If that fails or leads to another mediocre season then its def. on for 2010.

personally, i can't see JC making any incredible strides. he's never made one throw or decision that made me think he could be a legitimate NFL QB

I think if we bring back this WCO scheme for JC to run next year, he damn sure isn't going to be here in 2010 -neither is Zorn. The WCO is all about the quick release, and that just isn't the type of QB that Campbell is. He throws so many horrible passes that kill worms, or are behind a crossing route WR, he just hasn't been able to adjust to that kind of throw. His best throws are when he actually gets some time to throw and sets his feet to throw the pass in the pocket. JC doesn't make a quick enough decision on where to go with the ball either, which is crucial in the WCO. He just isn't that guy, and he will never be.

However, I think if we can revamp the O-line, bring in a new offensive coordinator who understands that Redskins football is all about smash-mouth running the ball first, and then making passing plays second, focusing on running clean pass patterns that JC can read from the pocket, I think that is the type of style football that could make both JC and the Redskins a success.

However, I think if we can revamp the O-line, bring in a new offensive coordinator who understands that Redskins football is all about smash-mouth running the ball first, and then making passing plays second, focusing on running clean pass patterns that JC can read from the pocket, I think that is the type of style football that could make both JC and the Redskins a success.

A double amen! I would just add to that, using the rookie WR's so Moss wouldn't be double teamed and hopefully get a WR open.

BTW, I have no problem with a quarterback competition.

I really don't understand how after how Collins played last year, he wasn't given a chance to be our starter at all. Not saying that he is the answer, but the offense looked as good with him at the helm last year as it had in as long as I can remember.

Coaches/FO's Ego's

I really don't understand how after how Collins played last year, he wasn't given a chance to be our starter at all. Not saying that he is the answer, but the offense looked as good with him at the helm last year as it had in as long as I can remember.

yeah but that was behind a better offensive line and better receivers. You can't judge by that. (ah, this is sarcasm btw)

I have no problems with an open competition whatsoever, I still think Jason should get more time, but if someone who is in training camp can help this team win better than he can, than I dont really care who plays for us...

As a prediction, I think Matt Hasselbeck starts at quarterback for Washington in 2009.

Interesting...I've had some thoughts that Hasslebeck would end up here also. How would we acquire him? Is he a free agent or would we have to trade and would Seattle trade him?

I am a Cambell supporter and think he has a lot of talent but I also believe that teams should always be looking to upgrade at every position whether it be through the free agency, the draft, or your own bench. I don't think the Zorn needs proclaim the position as an "open competition" but it his responsiblity as the coach to put the best players on the field. So in that aspect I think all positions are always open.

There will not be an open QB competition next year. Zorn has made up his mind that JC is his QB. Zorn is not willing let anybody else have a shot, because if they do prove to be a better player it will make him look bad. After all he is a genius. No one else knows football like him.

It won't happen, but as a skins fans and a Campbell supporter, the team is greater than any one player, so it should happen. What are JC's feelings going to be hurt? Hell, Colt can be just as much as a pupil to Zorn as Campbell is. Let them slug it out in training camp. If Colt falls flat on his face, the Colt supporters can shut it for a season. If he does great and takes the job, they all can fight over who was the first one to predict he could be our #1 guy. In the end, the team is better, and that's the real point, right?

As far some folks saying JC makes it look hard...we have one legit receiver out there (Moss) who doesn't catch many breaks because there's not someone on the other end who poses any kind of threat. Not to mention, he's tiny. Cooley takes all the short junk underneath, and lately has had to stay in and block because the line is falling apart, so what does that leave him?

I cant understand how people like you think. :rolleyes:

Collins was good last year under Saunders, someone he's studied under for 35 years!!!!! :D What he did for us last year was amazing, but he is not a good NFL QB, he's simply someone who watched an offense from the sidelines long enough to know the ins and outs. We didn't play that offense this year, and behind this line, Collins would be dead.

All I am saying is Jason shouldn’t be in as starting QB next year without a competition; he played the same since he started back in 2006. I just want to see a QB competition with Colt Brennan to see who is really better this summer.

On an 8-8 team nobody should be handed a starting job. Open up each and every position to be fought over.

The idea of an open competition is a scary thought. Before you go that route, one must come to grips with the fact that Campbell is not the guy. iI you have an open competition and Campbell wins, we are stuck with the same bad QB. What good does it do for all the Campbell lovers to do high fives saying he beat out Colt? In the end, Campbell is still bad. If a guy barely beats out Campbell then you have a QB who is just slightly better than a bad QB. Its time to forget Campbell and decide if either of our two alternatives on the roster is the answer. If not, then its time for a little shopping.

Archived