Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cheap WR to sign

S DOT21

I wouldn't consider two small, injury prone receivers, one aging and declining receiver (Thrash), and two newbs that developed extremely slow due to injury and lack of understanding of the playbook/NFL "fine".

Deion Branch, Hines Ward, Antwaan Randle El, Torry Holt, Santana Moss, and Steve Smith... What do they all have in commen? None of them are taller than 6'0".

Talent is what is important, not size.

Deion Branch, Hines Ward, Antwaan Randle El, Torry Holt, Santana Moss, and Steve Smith... What do they all have in commen? None of them are taller than 6'0".

I agree to an extent. Why do we frequently stall when we get to the redzone? Interestingly, even when we do have tall receivers on our roster, they still don't see redzone action (at least early in the year... we don't really see the redzone anymore). So when we are in the redzone, we smashmouth it in or we often throw to Sellers. Seldom does Randle El or Moss catch a TD in the redzone. As a result, Moss has 6 tds and our number two receiver has 3 tds...

But let's go with talent. Moss is certainly talented when healthy (and he's been pretty healthy this year). ARE is a very medicore receiver IMO. He practically has half the production of Moss.

But let's even give that a pass. Size and talent aside, you only defended two receivers. Our receiving corps is NOT fine with two receivers.

Very true and the trend is going to smaller, faster receivers. I do think we need the guy that can go up and grab one now and then but hopefully our young bucks develop.

Or we could rely on our scouting dept. to find one that will go undrafted,like Miami did.

Davone Bess 48-515

You don't always have to spend money and draft picks to find a serviceable player.

He got snubbed in the draft because he came from UH.

He would have fit well here. Too bad because he and Colt could read each others' minds on the field when they played together.

Go with one of our practice squad guys from the last couple of years. We are hopefully talking about our 5th guy for next season here. I actually remember some of their names like Billy McMullen and Burl Toler so they must have done something in preseason.

Link or it didn't happen :D

I'm just curious... but with that logic, do you consider that Heyer should start? Because you don't mention that Blades should start because of his ability and understanding of the game. Rather, you based your reasoning on circumstances (which I bolded).

Heyer's certainly not starting material IMO. Blades... I'm not too sure about. I haven't seen enough of him to say either way.

I didn't realize I needed to spell it out that his ability and talent is why he should start. I thought it went without saying since the guy was playing pretty well for a first time starter out his natural position.

As far as Heyer goes, I haven't seen enough of him to say he starter at either tackle. They keep pulling him in and out, so for me, it is too hard to say. Based on what I have seen, I don't think he should be our starting LT ever.

Blindside, How in the world is Blades not starting material?

He played for Washington when he was out. Quite admirably, I'd say for someone who just started playing this year and isn't playing his natural postion, MLB.

So, I really got to know. How is that Blades isn't starting material?

I will answer your question with a question...when Dallas was running out the clock, who did they run at? You think play like that deserves starting? Time to get back on that spaceship if you think so...

ARE is a great 3.

Agreed -But he has a #1 or #2 contract. His money is too big for a #3

Agree. Looks like they are only going to suite up 4 WRs and 2 TEs. The quesiton is, they need somebody to take Thrash's ST duties over.

I think that Kelly is missing out due to us having 3 TE's on the go, Cooley, Yoder & Davis. The transition from Yoder to Davis is causing the issue. If Davis get the #2 place, that will help the WR lineup.

Happy Holidays from the UK :cheers:

no. Engram = Thrash

No, Engram does not = Thrash simply because Engram caught 94 balls two years ago in system that is very similar to ours.

We saw what an experienced WR can do for this offense even if they don't see the field that often with McCardell. IMHO Engram could really help our WRs in many ways without hindering the development of the young guys. He would also come cheap.

Also even though we need to focus on the lines it's never a bad time to improve in any part of the game.

No, Engram does not = Thrash simply because Engram caught 94 balls two years ago in system that is very similar to ours.

We saw what an experienced WR can do for this offense even if they don't see the field that often with McCardell. IMHO Engram could really help our WRs in many ways without hindering the development of the young guys. He would also come cheap.

Also even though we need to focus on the lines it's never a bad time to improve in any part of the game.

Cant agree more with above statement. I am not saying to address WR before OL/ DL, but at least we need one solid WR to produce or AT LEAST push the Young guys for PT.

WR is still a need, IMO.

I will answer your question with a question...when Dallas was running out the clock, who did they run at? You think play like that deserves starting? Time to get back on that spaceship if you think so...

They ran at Jason Taylor. How's Blades supposed to get to the point of attack when the DE is getting blown up.

Besides, it isn't his natural posiiton. There are very few LBers who can just tear it up their first time starting. Since you are dodging my question, how many successful LBers as first year starters playing out of the natural position can you name? I can't think of one. You?

They ran at Jason Taylor. How's Blades supposed to get to the point of attack when the DE is getting blown up.

Besides, it isn't his natural posiiton. There are very few LBers who can just tear it up their first time starting. Since you are dodging my question, how many successful LBers as first year starters playing out of the natural position can you name? I can't think of one. You?

Not dodging your question at all...it was an example of why I feel he is not starting material regardless of playing inside or out and I think you agree based on your response. Do you want H.B. to be the successor to London Fletcher? I feel H.B. is a good role player and special teams guy similar to Khary Campbell, but not a starter. Just an opinion like so many of us have.

Oh...I don't want it to seem like I am dodging another question. When a DE is taking on a blocker during a running play, your taught to fill the hole. :2cents:

I didn't realize I needed to spell it out that his ability and talent is why he should start. I thought it went without saying since the guy was playing pretty well for a first time starter out his natural position.

As far as Heyer goes, I haven't seen enough of him to say he starter at either tackle. They keep pulling him in and out, so for me, it is too hard to say. Based on what I have seen, I don't think he should be our starting LT ever.

I thought we'd be able to assess Heyer more appropriately than Blades because Heyer's seen more action. I don't think Heyer should be starting since he will get abused consistently by a DE (making that side a liability the entire game). I think Blades has played fairly well but I haven't seen enough of him to say he should start. I don't always see him around the ball like I did Fincher back in preseason. Mind you, that was just preseason... but I'd like to see Fincher in for M. Washington.

Archived