Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cincinnati signs S Mike Doss

SonOfWashington

http://www.kansascity.com/491/story/929497.html

The Cincinnati Bengals made several roster moves Tuesday, including signing free agent safety Mike Doss.

Doss has five seasons of NFL experience but hasn't played in the league since 2007, when he was with the Vikings. He was a second-round pick of Indianapolis in 2003 and played for the Colts through 2006.

In 54 career games -- 43 starts -- Doss has 178 tackles, seven interceptions and 17 passes defensed.

I was a big Doss fan when he went to Ohio State. I wish him well, except if he plays Sunday. :)

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/bengals/2008/12/11/ddn121108spbengals.html

Click link for entire article

Bengals a 'blessing' for former OSU star Doss

Thursday, December 11, 2008

CINCINNATI — Mike Doss has built a glittering football resume, winning a state championship at Canton McKinley High School, a national title at Ohio State and a Super Bowl ring with the Indianapolis Colts.

But the sixth-year NFL veteran's work isn't finished. The defensive back's next chapter is just beginning in uniform No. 44 with the Cincinnati Bengals, who signed him Tuesday, Dec. 9.

Two years after wrecking his left knee, Doss is eager to make the Bengals competitive again.

"I'm going to bring an aggressive style of play and some leadership," Doss said. "I'll help these guys out and do as much as I can these last few weeks. I'll try to be a role model and lead by example, not speak too much, just do my part and play hard. Once you showcase your play on the field, you earn the respect of your teammates and coaches."

After four years in Indianapolis (2003-06) and a season in Minnesota, Doss suddenly found himself unemployed as he worked to completely regain his health from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in '06.

"I worked out for a lot of teams and hammered the phones all season long, just waiting for the right situation," he said. "To wait this long, it's definitely a humbling experience.

"To go through the injury, it made me stronger. It made me a better man. I realized that blue-collar hard work at the end of the day is going to pay off. To get an opportunity to play in my home state was truly the blessing I was praying for. I feel honored and privileged to join the Cincinnati organization."

Doss signed a two-year contract through 2009. His message to teammates: Tomorrow isn't promised, especially on a 1-11-1 team.

"It's definitely a tough situation," he said. "It's a hard season. But that's the NFL. Every guy knows that if they want to continue to play in this league, you have to perform. You want to finish strong and give yourself some momentum going into the offseason."

Doss won't look past the Washington Redskins. Nevertheless, he anxiously awaits a Dec. 21 visit to Cleveland. He grew up 51 miles away in Canton.

I remember when everyone was all about drafting Doss in 2003 when we decided to draft Taylor Jacobs instead.

arguably the 2nd largest Spurrier mistake aside from letting Stephen Davis walk, and not having an o-line coach, and many others. Either way, Doss would have helped a solid safety situation, but had we taken him, I'm not sure we would have taken Sean Taylor.

Archived