Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defensive scheme...lack of adjustments....

NoCalMike

It seemed that the Giants either

A) Gave up on the rush once they saw how we were stopping Jacobs

or

B) Came into the game with the plan to pass a lot to catch our defense off guard

Whether A or B is true, where the hell were the defensive adjustments? On that screen play that almost got the Giants a TD early in the second half, why the hell was our defense putting 8 in the box to stop the run when the Giants backfield was EMPTY?

It just seems like the Giants were adjusting and had a gameplan, and Greg Blache was unwilling to adjust.

And lets not even get started on how many times our defense was burned by simply slant routes. Once or twice, is understandable, but it seemed like that was their go-to play anytime our defense made a good play on 1st/2nd down.

Preaching to the choir. Ive been say that we have to be the worst at adjusting to what teams are doing. We cant just wait until halftime to retool the game plan. we have to be able to do this on the fly between plays and drives on both sides of the ball.

Preaching to the choir. Ive been say that we have to be the worst at adjusting to what teams are doing. We cant just wait until halftime to retool the game plan. we have to be able to do this on the fly between plays and drives on both sides of the ball.

That requires smarts and IMO it's something were lacking this year.

Greg Blache never deserved the defensive coordinators job.

He's just awful.

Yes I'm sure someone will trot out the whole #3 ranking (prior to this game) but facts are these:

Early in the season our offense controlled the ball so our opponents did not have as many opportunities thus giving us a better yards per game average than our defense deserved. Their yards per play in these games was over 5 (which is terrible).

Against lesser competition as the season went on the defense played better but against the three heavyweights (Pitt, Dallas, Giants) we've been abused.

Add to that the fact that the defense can't pressure the QB against anyone. Hell I'm sure if they went against our sorry line they'd fail.

Also add that they can't force turnovers (which goes hand in hand with QB pressure) and it all adds up to a sorry state of defense which starts at the top.

Greg Blache never deserved the defensive coordinators job.

He's just awful.

Yes I'm sure someone will trot out the whole #3 ranking (prior to this game) but facts are these:

Early in the season our offense controlled the ball so our opponents did not have as many opportunities thus giving us a better yards per game average than our defense deserved. Their yards per play in these games was over 5 (which is terrible).

Against lesser competition as the season went on the defense played better but against the three heavyweights (Pitt, Dallas, Giants) we've been abused.

Add to that the fact that the defense can't pressure the QB against anyone. Hell I'm sure if they went against our sorry line they'd fail.

Also add that they can't force turnovers (which goes hand in hand with QB pressure) and it all adds up to a sorry state of defense which starts at the top.

So you are classifying the Cardinals, Saints as lesser competition?

No argument on the lack of pass rush...but to say we have stopped impotent offenses I think is a little off

Archived