Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Madden knows about the infamous Albright letter

Zen-like Todd

http://theredskinsblog.com/2008/11/16/sunday-november-16-madden-the-guy-on-madden-the-game/#more-2572

Rabach came to the sidelines of practice, where I was standing with Executive Director of Communications Zack Bolno, and encouraged Bolno to go ask Madden if he ever received Ethan Albright’s letter about Albright’s legendarily atrocious ranking in Madden’s video game. Bolno shrugged and headed to where Madden was standing, and I came along.

Madden laughed when Bolno explained what was up. “I never saw the letter,” he said, “but I’ve heard all about it. Getting those ratings right can be really tough for some guys.”

At this point, Bolno got called away, but I stuck around to talk and see what else Madden had to say.

How do you handle a guy like Ethan in the ratings?

“Special teams are hard, because you don’t rate them just on special teams. Take a guy like Dante Hall years ago.

“He was a wide receiver, and to get him where he was a third or fourth receiver, you had to knock him down or he would’ve been Jerry Rice. So what they did was they knocked his speed down, to get him to be the equivalent of a third receiver. But now he’s slow.

“So he gets on me that we made him too slow. He says, when a guy gets hurt, the trainers run in faster than he can run. The doctor waddles on the field faster than he does. And he was right, but if you gave him all the things, the speed and all the things that he has, he would be a top wide receiver. And at that time, he was a fourth wide receiver.”

Click to read the rest of the blog entry.

And for those of you who are unfamiliar with the "letter", here you go:

http://www.thephatphree.com/features.asp?LayoutType=1&SectionID=2&StoryID=3159

Archived