Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

5 Changes after the bye

darrelgreenie

Since the bye week is here and we can look back on the first half of the season. I was just curious what poeple would like to see changed after the bye week. Here's my 5 changes

-Get Devin Thomas involved in the gameplan.

I wish Zorn or Jason would just come out an admit that they've got to

get Devin involved more and get this kid out from under the bus!

I'm tired of hearing excuses about he doesn't know the playbook. I know

some routes are harder to tun then others but hitches, drags and

screens make up the bulk of our routes and are fairly easy to run. I've

watched games and i've seen him open and Jason often completes the

pass to someone else which is cool. But, they gotta throw to him to get him going.

- Zorn/Campbell should mix in some more 5 and 7 step drops to get more chunk yardage.

I think Zorn is guilty of something i read in Bill Walsh's "Finding the

Winning Edge"

Quote-"Accordingly, the coaching staff should guard

against being 'seduced' by the relative ease of completing 3-step drop

passes."

-Pass more from the I-Form

(http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=3579 )

nearly 50% of our run plays are from the I-Form

Aside from a few times in the Steelers game and a few times in the

Lions game we rarely pass from this formation. ESPN is too lazy to keep

track of how many attempts but i'd bet its not many.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=8440

-Keep the rotation going at both DE spots when Jason Taylor comes back

Demetric Evans has been stepping up and deserves playing time

Erasmus James and Chris Wilson seem to get pressure when they're in

Rotate everyone and keep them fresh

-Keep passing to Portis and the Backs out of the backfield

Portis had 7 catches for 73 yards against the Steelers and has shown the

ability to turn a short pass into a big gain

- Put Heyer back in the lineup. Think about playing Rinehart if Jansen continues to struggle or if Samuels knee is gonna be an issue

-Give D. Hall a shot returning punts

:cheers:

By the way, I agree with this one completely: "-Get Devin Thomas involved in the gameplan."

Zorn needs to find more ways of getting the ball into the hands of our most talented players. Thomas can still contribute during this time while he's getting up to proper speed. Hell, he should get Thrash more involved as well.

Actually I agree with pretty much everything youv'e said...

I wish they would include more plays for Cooley and less plays for Portis out of the backfield. Portis has done a really nice job in that role, but just not explosive enough in my opinion as a 3rd down and long back...unless he is just there for blocking. Use Cooley as a true H-Back, line him up in the backfield out of the I.

I love Portis, I just don't like him in pass patterns. And what was that calling a timeout every time Portis split out to wr?

I wish they would include more plays for Cooley and less plays for Portis out of the backfield. Portis has done a really nice job in that role, but just not explosive enough in my opinion as a 3rd down and long back...unless he is just there for blocking. Use Cooley as a true H-Back, line him up in the backfield out of the I.

I love Portis, I just don't like him in pass patterns. And what was that calling a timeout every time Portis split out to wr?

I thought Portis has been doing a good job catching passes out of the backfield and running after the catch.

I think moving Cooley into the backfield in the I-Form would reduce his role in the passing game. But, i agree that he should get the more targets. I think they should target Cooley as often as the Cowboys target Witten.

Good points dude. Couldn't agree more with the punt return. We've got to get someone else back there. I understand that Devin Thomas might not grasp the entire offense, but Philly runs a WCO and has had no trouble getting very good production from Desean Jackson. You can't tell me that Thomas isn't capable of contributing more than he is. He has shown flashes in the few opportunities he's been given, let's feed him a bit more. I really thought the Steeler game was the perfect chance to work him in more, but it didn't happen.

I know he ran a punt for a TD but, please keep Santana off the field as a punt returner.......I hold my breath every time he's out there.

We don't have alot of depth at WR with Kelly hurt, Thomas developing and Thrash more or less being a possesion guy/run blocker/decoy.

That means our #1 and #2 WRs are punt returners and that is just not smart.....let Hall do it, or Thomas or Tryon.

I agree that we need to throw to Portis, but only on screens. His hands just aren't good enough to consistently make the tough and sometimes the ordinary catch...IMO

In the past i used to cringe when they threw to Portis, but to my eye he's looked more fluid catching passes this season. But, from your stand point he probably should have made that catch from Jason instead of turning it into a tip drill. But, on the other hand he made a play on a nice catch and run and finished with 7 catches.

I don't know, i think the more we pass to him the more comfortable he'll get and could eventually become a threat out of the backfield.

Thanks for the post.

Any changes you want to see after the bye?

I know he ran a punt for a TD but, please keep Santana off the field as a punt returner.......I hold my breath every time he's out there.

We don't have alot of depth at WR with Kelly hurt, Thomas developing and Thrash more or less being a possesion guy/run blocker/decoy.

That means our #1 and #2 WRs are punt returners and that is just not smart.....let Hall do it, or Thomas or Tryon.

I don't understand why the didn't let Thomas and Tryon return punts during the preseason or Rock for that matter. At least we would know if they could do it.

I might be a homer, but i think the Thomas kid is something special.

-Get Devin Thomas involved in the gameplan.

I wish Zorn or Jason would just come out an admit that they've got to

get Devin involved more and get this kid out from under the bus!

I'm tired of hearing excuses about he doesn't know the playbook. I know

some routes are harder to tun then others but hitches, drags and

screens make up the bulk of our routes and are fairly easy to run. I've

watched games and i've seen him open and Jason often completes the

pass to someone else which is cool. But, they gotta throw to him to get him going.

It isn't just about running a crisp route. It is more about running the right route for the defensive read. If he doesn't see a blitz coming and sticks with his out JC could throw it right to a DB.

The Eagles have been running plays sp[ecifically designed for Jackson because he is their biggest threat outside of Westbrook with the ball. We have Portis, Moss, Cooley, and El.

Hopefully Thomas is spending his bye week in the film room. It is all on him.

It isn't just about running a crisp route. It is more about running the right route for the defensive read. If he doesn't see a blitz coming and sticks with his out JC could throw it right to a DB.

The Eagles have been running plays sp[ecifically designed for Jackson because he is their biggest threat outside of Westbrook with the ball. We have Portis, Moss, Cooley, and El.

Hopefully Thomas is spending his bye week in the film room. It is all on him.

True we have Portis, Moss, Cooley and El but you can never have enough weapons. Wouldn't it have been nice to have a few plays for Devin against the Steelers when Moss was banged up?

To a certain extent yes, Devin needs to learn the playbook, but on the other hand the team has the burden of getting production from their talent.

IMO if Devin played for Denver or Philly or St.Louis his numbers would be just a good as theirs.

I'd add a bit of Fred Davis as well. I know it didn't work when we tried that one game but he seems to be the only one of our rookies who didn't miss any time and is still in good physical condition and is supposedly an athletic monster, so you'd think letting him run on some LBs could mean good things for us. Let's see what the guy can do.

I'd add a bit of Fred Davis as well. I know it didn't work when we tried that one game but he seems to be the only one of our rookies who didn't miss any time and is still in good physical condition and is supposedly an athletic monster' date=' so you'd think letting him run on some LBs could mean good things for us. Let's see what the guy can do.[/quote']

Dude, i forgot all about Sleepy.

Yeah, i would like to see more of Fred too. They tried get him involved during the Browns game. He was open on a for big gainer but Jason was a little off with the throw. But before and after that game they haven't passed to him at all. I would love to see him get some targets in the second half of the season.

Thanks for the post.

HTTR!

On thing I really hate about this offense is there is not enough play action. Joe Gibbs would be in heaven the way the skins are running the ball this year. Its a shame that Cambpell has that big arm and its rarely used.

On thing I really hate about this offense is there is not enough play action. Joe Gibbs would be in heaven the way the skins are running the ball this year. Its a shame that Cambpell has that big arm and its rarely used.

I was watching the NFL films highlight videos from 2006 (on nfl.com) and man, we attempted the deep ball a considerable amount back then.

Granted, Jason still did his 15 step drops, had a terrible posture under center, but man...at least his hair looked good...

...and I saw a huge Sean Taylor, never realized how much weight he lost for the 2007 season. :(

Especially the way we CP is running this year, you'd think we would kill teams with play action.

I was watching the NFL films highlight videos from 2006 (on nfl.com) and man, we attempted the deep ball a considerable amount back then.

Granted, Jason still did his 15 step drops, had a terrible posture under center, but man...at least his hair looked good...

...and I saw a huge Sean Taylor, never realized how much weight he lost for the 2007 season. :(

The long ball was a bigger part of the passing attack last year and now that we supposedly added another deep threat in Devin Thomas we throw downfield less.

When the skins run play action, I've noticed even the camera follows portis. I've seen the carmera guy fooled by play action at least 5 or 6 times this year. The first play of the lions game and there was also another one towards the end of the game.

I don't understand why the didn't let Thomas and Tryon return punts during the preseason or Rock for that matter. At least we would know if they could do.

Man, I have to agree.

The only thing I can think of is that they tried this in practice and maybe Thomas & Tryon muffed the punts, or ran the wrong direction.

I said this before. I think it would be great if we had somebody on this board that attended the practices. I realize they couldnt be in the closed practices, but just imagine the insight we would get.

Kinda like in the pre-season, we had people attending practices and reporting back with whats going on.

When the skins run play action' date=' I've noticed even the camera follows portis. I've seen the carmera guy fooled by play action at least 5 or 6 times this year. The first play of the lions game and there was also another one towards the end of the game.[/quote']

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80bf8238

^^Play action= Big chunks of yardage

Man, I have to agree.

The only thing I can think of is that they tried this in practice and maybe Thomas & Tryon muffed the punts, or ran the wrong direction.

I said this before. I think it would be great if we had somebody on this board that attended the practices. I realize they couldnt be in the closed practices, but just imagine the insight we would get.

Kinda like in the pre-season, we had people attending practices and reporting back with whats going on.

I guess we'll never know. Unless, you know Blondie and ask her to ask Rock?

Archived