Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Way to save money on heat

RyansRangers

So in this fall time I really hate to turn on the heat cause of the cost, so I went i have always had a kerosene heater in my basement about 3 ft tall 1ft wide round one. So I went to the basement filled it up and started it opened the door to the upstairs. within 1 hr my whole house was warm 1800 sqft. I have done this all week there is a slight kerosene smell when you start it and turn it off but other than that its perfect. heat comes right up from the basement and costs barely annything to run.. I filled up my 4 gallon drum for $10 and have used 2 gallons this week.

Just thought I would share my fall heating tip..

My condo is on the second floor, so it works out okay at times when neighbors above and below run their heat. However, these very cold winters can overcome that pretty quick. I do have an advantage in that my condo is a one bedroom so it can be easy to heat. Before winter really gets going here, I think I'm going to install a smaller ceiling fan in the living area that should help keep the place warm.

Not to be a kill-joy to this thread, but the fireman in me says...

If you go this route I would make sure you have a CO detector in the room where the heater is operating. These heaters do have a tendency to displace oxygen if not vented properly - you should probably crack open a window (or two) when using these.

My condo is on the second floor, so it works out okay at times when neighbors above and below run their heat. However, these very cold winters can overcome that pretty quick. I do have an advantage in that my condo is a one bedroom so it can be easy to heat. Before winter really gets going here, I think I'm going to install a smaller ceiling fan in the living area that should help keep the place warm.
I had a similar set up going when I lived in my apartment. I had units above me, below me and behind me and their heating/air conditioning helped me keep my apartment at a comfortable temperature

Not to be a kill-joy to this thread, but the fireman in me says...

If you go this route I would make sure you have a CO detector in the room where the heater is operating. These heaters do have a tendency to displace oxygen if not vented properly - you should probably crack open a window (or two) when using these.

I second this ,especially with a kerosene heater

Archived