Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Attack the Browns secondary

darrelgreenie

The Browns have been playing more aggresively in their secondary.

Jaws and Sterling Sharpe have mentioned that the Browns secondary often looks into the backfield and at the QB.

"We're playing more man coverage and giving our corners a chance to make plays," Pool said. "It definitely gives you more opportunities [for interceptions]."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2008/10/in_primetime_triumph_browns_se.html

It also gives the Browns more opportunity to get burned /I expect a big day from the passing game if:

1- We exploit the Browns tendency to look into the backfield by attacking downfield with play-action

*If we can hit on PA it will be Deja Vu for the Browns from week 2 of preseason where the gave up passes of 70 and 71 yards to the Jets

Terry Cousin- "We've got to do better," said cornerback Terry Cousin. "You're supposed to use preseason games to knock the cobwebs out. Last game we could have done better with our angles to the ball. We can't be looking in the backfield while guys are running past us."

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:Ef0uMTuM2J8J:blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/08/browns_primed_for_giants.html+Cleveland+defensive+backs+vs+the+Giants+looks+into+the+backfield&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us

2- Campbell maintains eye discipline and continues making quick reads to move the defense and hit the intermediate passes (15-20 yards) like he did last week

:cheers:

Redskins_JasonCampbell.jpg

HTTR!

... the Skins didn't take advantage of perhaps the worst secondary in football (before injuries), that also happened to be heavily injured.

That may have something to do with the Rams having perhaps the worse coach in the league through the first quarter of the season. It seems like Haslett has them on par and they're playing pretty well against the Cowboys. It makes the loss to them look less saddening.

That may have something to do with the Rams having perhaps the worse coach in the league through the first quarter of the season. It seems like Haslett has them on par and they're playing pretty well against the Cowboys. It makes the loss to them look less saddening.

Not really. They played like **** lasts week.

Hard to understand what Zorn is up to offensively. The scheme he's run the past game and a half bear little resemblance to the 5 games before that. I get that the run game is working well, but to utterly abandon any semblance of a passing game beyond 10 yards past the LOS is mystifying.

And I hate to say it, but Jason looks unsure and confused again. Then again, if he's playing with handcuffs on, that's not on him.

Defense is playing lights out. Offense is in the deep freeze.

Very strange.

Hard to understand what Zorn is up to offensively. The scheme he's run the past game and a half bear little resemblance to the 5 games before that. I get that the run game is working well, but to utterly abandon any semblance of a passing game beyond 10 yards past the LOS is mystifying.

And I hate to say it, but Jason looks unsure and confused again. Then again, if he's playing with handcuffs on, that's not on him.

Very strange.

Not so strange when you consider that he doesn't have a downfield threat to throw to at this point besides Moss. Zorn doesn't have enough faith in Thomas to air the ball out.

Very strange.

The Browns didn't use the same defense they did against the Giants. It looks like Cover 2 man and invited us to run and we obliged them all day long baby! There were fewer chances downfield because of the safeties over top. But, we did hit some big intermediate throws to move the ball downfield.

Running is fine. Taking what the D gives you is fine.

Winning the statistical battle 280 yards to 50 in the 3rd quarter, but having the score 0-0, is meaningless. Worse, it leaves no margin for error. One fluke play cost us such a game last week. One fumble was enough to put today's dominant statistical performance in jeopardy.

Just saying that I've never seen an NFL team survive week in and week out if it cannot at least threaten a defense down the field. It's what had 99% of Redskins fans pulling their hair out under Gibbs II/Brunell.

All I'm saying is ... for 2 weeks we've essentially ceded the downfield game without making the other team earn it. It's awesome we're 5-2, and I have very, very few complaints. I'm just hoping we don't get into the habit of playing it so close to the vest that one fluke play per game can ultimately spell the difference, even though the numbers ultimately show that we dominated play in every meaningful category.

Running is fine. Taking what the D gives you is fine.

Winning the statistical battle 280 yards to 50 in the 3rd quarter, but having the score 0-0, is meaningless. Worse, it leaves no margin for error. One fluke play cost us such a game last week. One fumble was enough to put today's dominant statistical performance in jeopardy.

Just saying that I've never seen an NFL team survive week in and week out if it cannot at least threaten a defense down the field. It's what had 99% of Redskins fans pulling their hair out under Gibbs II/Brunell.

All I'm saying is ... for 2 weeks we've essentially ceded the downfield game without making the other team earn it. It's awesome we're 5-2, and I have very, very few complaints. I'm just hoping we don't get into the habit of playing it so close to the vest that one fluke play per game can ultimately spell the difference, even though the numbers ultimately show that we dominated play in every meaningful category.

Believe me. I get what your saying. I def think we should go downfield more: http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=263869

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=261079

But, this game was so closely contested and the Browns seemed to be determined to sit in Cover 2 man it made sense that Zorn/Campbell were careful with their risks. The Browns gave us the run and Portis took it.

Archived