Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time to end NATO

88Comrade2000

Why does this exist? The mission of NATO-defending against the Soviet Union is over. We won. I think nato is irrelavent and we should bring our troops to defend our southern and even northern borders.

What about fighting terror- well planning on having a base Iraq. You can make a deal with India to put a base there. Put a base in Africa. Why not Israel? I'm serious. I don't why the US never demand that they have a base in Israel. We give them money every year, then we should have the right to have our own base there. You want to be close to the terrorists to fight them, then being in Israel is a good place to be. Being in India will let you take care of Pakistan/Iran.

As for the Europeans and Russia- let them form their own military alliance and solve their own problems that occur in Europe.

Actually France and Germany under Mitterand and Kohl proposed the WEU (Western European Union) fighting force/alliance to take care of specifically European security problems, independent of the U.S. Like all French proposals, it was a lot of hot air with absolutely no substance, and no backbone. Sadly, Bush 41 predictably came out against it. Well, a couple months later and war breaks out in Yugoslavia - and all these pu$$y nations in the proposed WEU can't decide what the hell to do about cuz they're so used to us holding their hands. Mitterand got cancer and Kohl got toseed out by the voters, and now nobody talks about WEU anymore.

Like the UN, NATO's time has passed. Far more so than the UN however, NATO is a huge budgetary expense. We should remove our bases from Western Europe and let these countries pay for their own damm defense.

Originally posted by Burgold

Redskins2000,

Just curious, with this and the UN thread, are you becoming an isolationist?

I've sort of always been an isolationist- never ever posted on the subject.

The threat to American from Europe is over. We have more of a threat right here on our own borders.

I think you misunderstand the role of NATO in the post cold war world. The US bases in Western Europe are not defending France or Germany (there are no US forces in France, the main US bases are in Germany, Italy and the UK). THis is because there IS no significant security threat to those nations.

The US bases are acting as forward deployment for large scale forces in the event of conflict in the Middle East/Eastern Europe and potentially radar sites for NMD.

Archived