Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dream Theater about Death Magnetic

Island Boy

http://www.encycmet.com/news/2008-09-27.shtml

roadrunnerrecords.ca reports that Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater is a big fan of the new Metallica album.

"Death Magnetic is the best Metallica album in over 20 years. This is the album I've been waiting for them to make since Justice For All. And thumbs up to them for doing the first real Metallica instrumental in 20 years since To Live Is To Die. Welcome back, boys."

The band Dream Theater is well known friends and fans of Metallica. They even played the whole Master of puppets album live and released it as a live album.

Dream Theater is an American progressive metal band formed in 1985. The band is well known for the technical proficiency of its instrumentalists, who have won many awards from music instruction magazines.

Thanks to Eduardo Schñadower

talk about underachieving bands. they are so talented and so gifted but never seemed to put it all together and make it big time. outside of that one hit "pull me under" they just never hit the big market.

thats cool of them to say and if anyone knows a good instrumental it would be these guys.

talk about underachieving bands. they are so talented and so gifted but never seemed to put it all together and make it big time. outside of that one hit "pull me under" they just never hit the big market.

thats cool of them to say and if anyone knows a good instrumental it would be these guys.

MoP is the only album I like anymore. I really liked AJFA when I was a kid but now most of the tracks seem lame now.:eaglesuck

ummm..ride the lightning? probably the biggest assault on your ears after Reign in Blood

Ride the Lightning sounds like it was recorded in my shower. Whenever the Black album came out, that was the time I really started to hate Metallica. I even bought the 2 albums they released in the mid 90's, what a "Load" that was.

Ride the Lightning sounds like it was recorded in my shower. Whenever the Black album came out, that was the time I really started to hate Metallica. I even bought the 2 albums they released in the mid 90's, what a "Load" that was.

ill tell you right now, if you can record "call of the ktulu" in your shower and have it sound like that you need to rent that mother****er out and make some cash dude.

ill tell you right now, if you can record "call of the ktulu" in your shower and have it sound like that you need to rent that mother****er out and make some cash dude.

I know, the problem is I live in Colorado and there are only hippy jam bands here. Plus I'm still missing some really good mics. Other than that I'm set to go.Maybe "shower" is an exaggeration but its not far off.:eaglesuck

I know, the problem is I live in Colorado and there are only hippy jam bands here. Plus I'm still missing some really good mics. Other than that I'm set to go.Maybe "shower" is an exaggeration but its not far off.:eaglesuck

you could have said Khatmandu and I would said the same thing. RTL is the blueprint for fast, aggressive thrash metal in my opinion. still had traces of Mustaine in it and Cliff's crazy bass playing skills. It is my personal favorite tape of theirs though so I can admit I am biased.

I'd say Kill 'Em All is my favorite album. I love Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightening and ...And Justice for All as well.

I don't know where you come off saying that Justice sounds lame now, it's just as relevant now as it was 20 years ago. Awesome album.

I would not say they are underachieving by any means. They just don't care to make music that would hit the main market. They tried that in 1997 with the album "Falling Into Infinity" and felt that their creative talent was at risk. They were even about to break up after that album.

I would also say they missed the "big time" by a little bit. Similar bands, especially Rush, were and still are probably bigger, but they came in at the right time during the 80s. Dream Theater pretty much stayed unheard of since Grunge was suddenly the rage, and then the clean image bands like boy bands and pop singers took center stage.

Either way, I kinda doubt Dream Theater cares about not being "big", they still charge prices similar to what big bands do and they still have far more respect than bands that do "make it big."

The band Dream Theater is well known friends and fans of Metallica. They even played the whole Master of puppets album live and released it as a live album.

OK.

Who's got a torrent link for me? :)

I agree with MR. S.

By the way, what does making it big mean?

Making it big to me anymore means creating some useless dribble that gets radio play and involves almost no talent whatsoever, making millions of dollars off of it and dissapearing a couple years later. There are some exceptions.

Dream Theater has to have done something right in order to still be around.

I really do not know how people can listen to an album like Octavarium and not hear the thought put into it, the excellent musicianship, and the excellent song writing. I know most people say, they only jerk off on their instruments. Well, you are not listening close enough.

You may not like them, but there is no doubt that they know how to write songs!

I'd listen to them more if they didn't have a singer. (Dream Theater not Metallica of course)

I agree with MR. S.

By the way, what does making it big mean?

Making it big to me anymore means creating some useless dribble that gets radio play and involves almost no talent whatsoever, making millions of dollars off of it and dissapearing a couple years later. There are some exceptions.

Pretty much. I'm guessing he was talking about big bands that are in similar genres (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Rush, Slayer). Even still though, Most fans of those bands have heard and probably like Dream Theater (except for metallica fans since they have a ton).

I'd rather Dream Theater stay off the radio and continue what they do best instead of writing shorter songs and being "bigger".

Archived