Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Police: Rodney King Slams SUV Into House

stratoman

....He was convicted of spouse abuse in 1999 in San Bernardino County and was sentenced to 90 days in jail and four years' probation.

King pleaded no contest to three counts of being under the influence of PCP and a count of indecent exposure in October 2001....

so he beat his wife, get's caught with PCP, now this....

hmm....three strikes?

We had a local story in my city last year where a woman who was high on crack went on a NASCAR rampage through the city... the police were trying to pull her over because her tags were expired and she was driving strangely, and she took off on a high speed chase. She ran through people's yards and created quite a dangerous mess. She finally was stopped and the police opened her car door and she hit reverse and dragged the cop, several other cops fired at the woman and killed her while she was dragging the cop.

There were no riots, but it was a HUGE racial outburst, the woman driving the car was african american and the cops were white. The cops were not found guilty of anything, there were witnesses that verified that the cops life was in danger, the woman had large amounts of crack in her system and a history. But the reaction by many was that her death was a result of racism and so on.. it was a really bad situation. The naacp got involved as well.

Sorry to be the sole voice of dissent on this police brutality lovefest, however cops should never ever ever have the option to beat anybody for any reason over and above what is necessary to subdue someone who is resisting arrest. Period.

Sure, I've heard all the nonsense about "the adrenaline was flowing etc" However, the fact remains that there is no legit reason and they have no right whatsoever to use excessive force--regardless of the color of the perpetrator and the officers involved.

Their job as police officers is to arrest the subject in as professional a manner as possible and with the use of the least amount of force as is needed. Of course, we all know this doesn't always happen.

Everybody on this board has a job (I assume) and if any of us went to work and decided that we wanted to do something outside of company policy just because we were in the heat of the moment and "the adrenaline was flowing" we'd all be fired or at least reprimanded.

Whenever I am stopped for some traffic violation by a cop I am always polite and reasonable. I demand the same from them. However, those who are not polite and reasonable deserve to be handled with a certain degree of professionalism as well. Subduing and arresting them is professional. Kicking, punching and otherwise brutalizing them AFTER THEY HAVE STOPPED RESISTING is not.

You could not pay me ANY amout of money to be a police officer. They are out there to protect us from craziness, yet it seems the criminals have more rights than us normal citizens who don't go out getting high and putting other people's lives in danger.

This is just my opinion, but once someone has broken the law to the degree that King did and put so many lives at risk, he no longer is entitled to his rights. Rights should be reserved to law abiding citizens that don't endanger the lives of other.

Personally, I'm not ignoring either the OJ or King verdicts. I agree, its the law of the land.

I think that saying King got exactly what he deserved because the officers were not convicted is flawed reasoning. Assuming so would assume that the verdict was just. It would also assume that OJ not being convicted was just. I disagree with that, but maybe others don't.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Just is determined by the jury.

I figure I know you well enough by now to assume this was sarcasm.

The jury in the strictest sense only decides which side put on the more convincing case within the rules of evidence. It doesn't determine who's right or wrong, or make any other moral decision, no matter what flowery language we attach to the system. That's why it's perfectly fair to say that someone like OJ was responsible for the crimes even if he wasn't held responsible for those crimes by the criminal justice system.

Originally posted by stratoman

King later received a $3.8 million settlement from the city of Los Angeles in 1994.

Hell, I'll take a good *** kicking for that kind of jack and you guys don't even have to feel sorry for me. Champ24Bailey, I wouldn't even ask you to pray for me, either. Just give me that fat check and I'll be on my merry way.

Originally posted by Awgustlab

Hell, I'll take a good *** kicking for that kind of jack and you guys don't even have to feel sorry for me. Champ24Bailey, I wouldn't even ask you to pray for me, either. Just give me that fat check and I'll be on my merry way.

HELL YEAH:cheers: :cheers:

Let the beatings begin

Originally posted by jbooma

Code,

What happened with that lady that was shot? I am talking about the cities outrage and the family of the women, thanks

The judge dismissed any charges against the police officers... The FBI were brought in to see what they could come up with but found no wrong doings...

There was a huge meeting that took place with african american citizens outraged that the woman was "murdered" by the police. I work with police officers and there was a racial divide even amongst them. Based ONLY on the officers that I came across, the black officers felt they could have done more to try to stop the woman before shooting her, the white officers felt there was no wrong doing.

On another note, the lady's car was by my office, (my office is near the police shop and impound lot) It had bullett holes through the windshield, blood all over the place inside and the driver side door was bent down from the weight of the officer being dragged. The media was around here for days.

Needless to say, there was a lot of tension in the city for weeks. The woman's child went to the school that my mom is a secretary at and there were councilers that came in frequently.

There were 2 video's of the car chase, I saw one, I thought the shooting was justified (meaning if I was a cop, I would have been scared for my partner's life)

here is a link to one reaction: http://csf.colorado.edu/mail/psn/2001/msg00646.html

Here is a newspaper articles account :http://www.pilotonline.com/breaking/br0103law.html

Archived