Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A question about Clinton Portis' running style...

flexxskins

I didn't follow CP's career closely while he was with Denver, so I don't really remember, but; has Clinton Portis always carried the ball with both hands the way does now?

Without question Portis is one of the NFL's fastest running backs. (And on a side note, he is one of my favorite all time professional football players).

But, when I see Portis sometimes rounding the corner in relatively open space, and he is still clutching the football in front of him with both hands, it just makes me wonder if he is kind of slowing himself down and decreasing his chances of turning that corner and taking the ball further up field by doing that.

I think of a sprinter, and if he had to clutch a football while running a race. Well, my guess is that it would slow him down. But, if he were to clutch that same football, in front of him, with both hands...well, I think that he then becomes a whole different runner.

Just sharing a thought. Any other thoughts?

Clinton Portis IMHO, is an average back to me. Ok he might have great pass blocking ability, but the guy just doesnt have it in him anymore. And trust me ima big CP fan. but he's a clumsy ****. Guy has no awareness when running. And slips at any little thing. Im really hoping the coaching staff realizes this already, cause i sure have, and i know alot of you big CP fans has as well.

This thread is going to cause some trouble lol.

IMO, the run blocking is very subpar here. Didn't anyone notice the gaping holes that Dallas had last night? How bout Felix Jones running 10 yards before having to deal with a defender on that long run. Honestly, when was the last time you saw CP have that luxury? Oh yeah, his first carry as a SKin against Tampa. He NEVER has good blocking ahead.

i would rather see him do that, than see L.(i like to fumble, fumble) Betts run with no hands on the ball.

I didn't follow CP's career closely while he was with Denver, so I don't really remember, but; has Clinton Portis always carried the ball with both hands the way does now?

Without question Portis is one of the NFL's fastest running backs. (And on a side note, he is one of my favorite all time professional football players).

But, when I see Portis sometimes rounding the corner in relatively open space, and he is still clutching the football in front of him with both hands, it just makes me wonder if he is kind of slowing himself down and decreasing his chances of turning that corner and taking the ball further up field by doing that.

I think of a sprinter, and if he had to clutch a football while running a race. Well, my guess is that it would slow him down. But, if he were to clutch that same football, in front of him, with both hands...well, I think that he then becomes a whole different runner.

Just sharing a thought. Any other thoughts?

IMO, the run blocking is very subpar here. Didn't anyone notice the gaping holes that Dallas had last night? How bout Felix Jones running 10 yards before having to deal with a defender on that long run. Honestly, when was the last time you saw CP have that luxury? Oh yeah, his first carry as a SKin against Tampa. He NEVER has good blocking ahead.

True. The line as whole has to block better if we're to see any of our backs get 100 yards routinely. But even when CP he does get an opening it seems he's half off balance or cant make a guy miss to make it a huge run.

Jones has 4.4 speed and made 2 guys miss to break that run.

If he's got open space going through the line, which he rarely does, you'll see him just carry it normal with one.

But since he doesn't get those gaping holes anymore, he's protecting the ball going through the line.

Beg to differ crusher.

For example, when we run that FB fake handoff pitch out to CP, he is in open space for the majority of that play. He runs that play everytime with the ball held in front of him and with both hands.

Clinton Portis IMHO, is an average back to me. Ok he might have great pass blocking ability, but the guy just doesnt have it in him anymore. And trust me ima big CP fan. but he's a clumsy ****. Guy has no awareness when running. And slips at any little thing. Im really hoping the coaching staff realizes this already, cause i sure have, and i know alot of you big CP fans has as well.
Wow, if you are a CP fan, I'd hate to see how you dog a player that you are not a fan of.

"Has no awareness"?:doh:

If most people could just stick with the subject of the thread title, then this thread wouldn't cause trouble at all.

True. The line as whole has to block better if we're to see any of our backs get 100 yards routinely. But even when CP he does get an opening it seems he's half off balance or cant make a guy miss to make it a huge run.

Jones has 4.4 speed and made 2 guys miss to break that run.

LOL well that kinda my point. He never has the holes present themselves on its own, he has to run through hell to get to a hole.

CP stil has that speed, he showed it in the offseason in that race with Landry, who btw ran a 4.35 at the combine in 07.

http://www.athlonsports.com/pro-football/10598/nfl-scouting-combine-defense

Not sayin CP has Felix Jones speed anymore, but the guy is still quick.

If most people could just stick with the subject of the thread title, then this thread wouldn't cause trouble at all.

Oh I know that. I'm just thinking that it wil be trouble, since the last 10 atempts at talking about Portis's style leads to a battle of words about he has it/he lost it. ;)

sometimes I think you should have to pass a quiz in order to post in here.

CP is average?

unfreakingbelievable..

so i have to pass a quiz to post here to post my opinions? sure BigMike. its fans like you who need to pass a quiz to point out the obvious. There has been many plays where there were HOLES that open up that clinton portis just completely missed. the guy falls down if a guy looks at him. So since you wanna talk about quiz how bout you take mine..

1. Does CP fall easily?

2. Does CP put 100% into every carry he gets?

Bonus Question: Name his last 3 big RUN plays, that he put his own effort into?

If Portis is average, then you are using an extraordinary data pool.

i would rather see him do that, than see L.(i like to fumble, fumble) Betts run with no hands on the ball.
Oh, I have no problem with him holding onto the ball with two hands while running through traffic. It's him holding onto the ball with two hands in the open field that I was asking about.

I'm not a big fan of fumbles.;)

My comment wasnt directed at you. He holds onto the ball with 2 hands because he rarely gets passed the first level without being cracked, its what your taught to do.
Oh ok.

True dat. But like I was saying to my man above, CP attempting to turn corners, (like on pitch outs) is what I was wondering about.

Thats got to slow you down a little.

Archived