Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT - Caps win again

scottb

They're up 2-0. I'm not a hockey fan, but generally root for the local teams. Do they have any reasonable chance for the cup?

Go Caps!! They are playing incredible this series.

It's a little too early to say they have a shot at the cup, but if their big guns stay as hot as they are now, and Olie continues his great play, well -- they have a shot at the cup. :D That's what's great about the hockey playoffs. It truly is a "second season." Throw out the records...anyone can catch fire and streak through the playoffs. It's not even unheard of for a #8 seed to knock off a #1 seed. I definitely like the way our guys are playing. I'll be cautiously optimistic for now.

:cheers:

The Capitals match up well with Tampa. Tampa does not have the caliber of defensemen that can take the play from established veterans like Lang, Bondra, Jagr, Nylander and Gonchar.

And on the offensive end the Lightning only have one player, Dave Andreychuk, who has the size and strength in front to cause the Caps problems.

The Lightning have talent with their forwards, but it is matched by the speed and skill of the Capitals European players.

This was a poor draw for the Lightning as they would have matched up far better with a team like Ottawa or Boston.

What will be interesting to see is how the Caps fare against teams that combine size and the ability to make Washington play hard on both ends of the ice.

The Caps shocked the Lightning in Game 1 and in this kind of a series you usually either get the losing team's best effort in Game 2 (which leads to a long series) or the losing team fails to bounce back and the series is a short one.

The Lightning have the talent to extend the series but mentally this team may just not be ready yet to come back on a veteran team and win in the postseason.

Originally posted by bulldog

This was a poor draw for the Lightning as they would have matched up far better with a team like Ottawa or Boston.

OK Boston, I can see, but Ottawa??? The Ottawa Senators? The team that virtually walked through everyone they played this year? The team that finished with the most points in the league? :rolleyes: I think that you're way off here Bull dog. Sens have the complete package.

The only team that matchup well against the Sens in the East is maybe Jersey.

The Lightning are a team that got veryluck all year.

Caps will go as far as Kolzig takes them.

Tampa played Ottawa tough this year. Their speed caused the Senators problems on defense.

Besides, once you start the playoffs you can throw out the regular season records. That's what makes the NHL unlike the NFL and NBA, where the top seeds usually advance.

In the NHL the #4 or #5 seeds have routinely made it through to the Conference finals or even the Cup Finals.

I remember one year back in the early 1980's, in fact 1980 (?), the Flyers had the 30 plus game unbeaten streak during the regular season and yet that team failed to win the Cup.

Originally posted by rdsknbill

Another Great day!. The Caps win and the Dead Wings lost again. :wave:

Yea, no kidding. My wife is from Detroit so I have to act like I'm upset about the Wings losing them I can get excited about it later on. :angel: :evil:

Archived