Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

J. Hamilton; Overcoming Adversity, Earning a Spot

CRobi21

Safety Justin Hamilton did not have a typical route in finding a roster spot in the NFL, after a marginal career at Virginia Tech. He was a 7th round pick of the Cleveland Browns in the 2006 NFL Draft. Though his stay in Cleveland was short-lived.

In his rookie season, Hamilton appeared in only 10 games, recording only 15 tackles. Looking for a strong comeback from a down rookie year, Hamilton looked forward to getting his sophomore season started as a Brown. But it never happened. Prior to the start of the 2007 season, Hamilton was released from the Browns with an injury settlement.

After shopping himself around to teams and coming up with no prevail, Hamilton actually spent the year, sitting out football. Wondering if his dream had came and gone in only a year's time.

Then, in May just before training camp, Hamilton got the call from the Washington Redskins, seeing if he'd be interested him coming to camp with them. Hamilton accepted. Hamilton didn't catch on too quickly to the Redskins defensive philosophies, and was let go in June. But after fullback Pete Schmitt asked for his own release, the Redskins had a left over roster spot, and Hamilton was given another shot.

This time, he wasn't looking back. In limited action, Hamilton put forth a solid preseason. He recorded 11 tackles, a forced fumble, and also a sack. But coaches were most impressed with his natural athletic ability.

He will be wearing number 32 this year for the Redskins, in his backup role as a strong safety. But will be looked at to contribute in special teams play.

By no means was this the way Justin pictured himself entering his second season in the NFL, but after overcoming that kind of adversity and earning a roster spot, you can't say he didn't earn it.

This was a little piece I just wrote up, with info from some different articles around the net. I found myself looking at Justin's bio on redskins.com and though, ****, what a test he's been through. He impressed me in preseason, and thought it was a good decision we decided to keep him. I thought I'd share his story, for those not in the know.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/players/Justin_Hamilton.jsp

:cheers:

Having played HS basketball against Justin and growing up just down the road, I can say that I know him a little bit. Coincidentally, we both played in the same district as Julius and Thomas (although Thomas was older) Jones. I have nothing but good things to say about the Jones brothers...unfortunately I can't say the same thing about Hamilton. I always want people from my area to do well...but I'd rather see Hamilton getting lit up as a member of the Cowboys.

Safety Justin Hamilton did not have a typical route in finding a roster spot in the NFL, after a marginal career at Virginia Tech.

I disagree with that notion completely. I saw every game J-Ham played in college, and he was one of the hardest working unselfish players you will ever find

He started off as a RB. Moved over to WR his RS-soph year to help fill a void, back to RB and then to FS his final year at VT

Every year though he was a special teams demon, blocking punts, making tackles, busting through wedges. When he was at FS he excelled as a last line of defense when he rotated into the game

The kid is very smart and hard working and I am glad to see he made the team. I am hoping he is able to prove that he can play in the NFL, with his consistent special teams play, and by simply outworking everyone else as he has did at Virginia Tech

Having played HS basketball against Justin and growing up just down the road, I can say that I know him a little bit. Coincidentally, we both played in the same district as Julius and Thomas (although Thomas was older) Jones. I have nothing but good things to say about the Jones brothers...unfortunately I can't say the same thing about Hamilton. I always want people from my area to do well...but I'd rather see Hamilton getting lit up as a member of the Cowboys.

Old men like you are always hating on todays youth. Get over it. you were too old to be in high school anyway. Youth prevailed

j/k your profile says you are 52

I disagree with that notion completely. I saw every game J-Ham played in college, and he was one of the hardest working unselfish players you will ever find

He started off as a RB. Moved over to WR his RS-soph year to help fill a void, back to RB and then to FS his final year at VT

Every year though he was a special teams demon, blocking punts, making tackles, busting through wedges. When he was at FS he excelled as a last line of defense when he rotated into the game

The kid is very smart and hard working and I am glad to see he made the team. I am hoping he is able to prove that he can play in the NFL, with his consistent special teams play, and by simply outworking everyone else as he has did at Virginia Tech

Damnit. I'll admit that I didn't follow Justin in college, and did fabricate some stuff.

I knew one of you Hokie guys would catch me. Him being a 7th round pick made me think he only had a decent college career.

:D

Well to each their own I guess, but you would be considered an oddity. Justin is considered generally to be one of the most classy people that most people in the SWVA area know. He was a kid who donated a sizeable donation back to VT after shooting, more than others who definitely a lot more in their NFL contracts. He ran a free camp for kids, as opposed to the over-priced Jones brother camp. Not saying anything about them directly, but they let other people make their decisions, while Justin remembers where he came from.

If you played in the same district and just down the road, I would have guessed that you were from Pound, obviously you still have some bad memories of the basketball season :)

Well to each their own I guess, but you would be considered an oddity. Justin is considered generally to be one of the most classy people that most people in the SWVA area know. He was a kid who donated a sizeable donation back to VT after shooting, more than others who definitely a lot more in their NFL contracts. He ran a free camp for kids, as opposed to the over-priced Jones brother camp. Not saying anything about them directly, but they let other people make their decisions, while Justin remembers where he came from.

If you played in the same district and just down the road, I would have guessed that you were from Pound, obviously you still have some bad memories of the basketball season :)

To you and others who asked: I'm speaking from personal experience with Hamilton, and that's about all I'll say on the matter. After seeing the way he treated some close friends of mine and how he acted in situations out of the public eye...my opinion was permanently altered. He never did anything to change it in every encounter I've had with him since.

I will say that I know plenty of older folks with nothing but positive things to say about him, so perhaps I only know a side of him. I've read good things about him locally as well, so I have no doubt that he treats some people the right way. Just not everyone.

Your guess about my hometown and my rationale is off-base. We played the Greenwave to a split in my days and I have nothing but positive memories of the games.

Anyways, its my last post about him. I don't want to come across as one of those bitter HS athletes when my opinion isn't rooted in anything to do with athletics.

Archived