Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In a Dilly of a Pickle(Food Question)

Koolblue13

So I have my cucumbers coming in left and right. I have almost 50 of those little suckers on the vine right now and I want to pickle them.

Does anybody have a good pickling technique and recipe?

I also have cherry peppers coming in as well as banana peppers to pickle and make for putting on my sammiches.

Can anybody be a help to me or does anybody know a good web site?

If I ever make it to a football game, I'll bring them with me.

So I have my cucumbers coming in left and right. I have almost 50 of those little suckers on the vine right now and I want to pickle them.

I also have cherry peppers coming in as well as banana peppers to pickle and make for putting on my sammiches.

http://www.pickyourown.org/makingpickles.htm

With pictures, just for you. :D

You should be able to get the packets of pickle spices at the local supermarket. Get some mason jars too.

Also, here is a recipe for some quick sweet pickles. They only last about two weeks though.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/quick-sweet-pickles-recipe/index.html

A lot of Good Eats episodes are on Youtube, including the ones on pickles:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alton+brown+pickles&search_type=&aq=f

I dunno whether Alton Brown/Food Network don't care, don't know, or what.

Edit: Because of Youtube's size requirements, the episodes are broken up into two or three segments, so just make sure you catch all of it.

No mister smart ass you don't.

Thanks for being no help, but still posting anyway. I keeps my thread bumped.

No pickles huh?

What about peppers and tomatoes?

Uh, look at the posts. I was helpful. I may be a smartass, but I try to be a helpful one. :D

Some old guy used to bring pickled sausages in to work but I forgot how he said he made them. Something about red pepper salt and vinegar. Oh well. They were good tho!

Just because you 'found it on the internet' doesn't mean its a good recipe guys. Trust me.

And yeah, I used to have a huge vegetable garden each year and found a perfect dill pickle recipe. Sterilize quart jars. Wash your cucumbers and cut off the 'bloom' end (that'll help keep them from getting soft in the jar). In the bottom of each of the quart jars, put a couple of bay leaves, a teaspoon of mustard seeds, a couple of peeled whole garlic cloves, and a couple of sprigs of fresh dill. Pack the quart jars with your cucumbers. top each jar off with the same as the bottom (bay leaves, mustard seeds, a couple peeled garlic cloves, and some fresh dill. Fill the jars to about a 1/2 inch from the top with simple brine solution (5% plain white vinegar with pickling or kosher salt - I don't remember the exact amounts, but you CAN probably use whatever ratio you find in other recipes on the internet). Top with your standard canning lid and use the boiling technique to can. In a month, these will be unbelievably good.

Archived