Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Uprising: House GOP Stages Floor Revolt After Dems Skip Town Without Vote to Lower Ga

Sarge

Where are the Dems?

:secret: the Capitol building was pretty much empty, quite a few Repubs are gone too.

Actually, I think they did try, but it was blocked by the Democrats and a handful of dissenting Republicans.
I dunno maybe because between 01-05 we had a couple bigger issues to contend with?

Then the fault lies just as much with them. They had a larger majority then and should have gotten this passed. Not a reason to not do it now but this has become way too anti-Democrat.

Because as bad as the Democrats might be, and as much as most Americans might disagree with some of their politics... The Democrates are not known to be corrupt, out of touch, and incompetent at their core... .

Wow. If that isn't the dumbest thing I have read in a long time....

Partisan hackery at its finest.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret, THEY'RE ALL CORRUPT AND INCOMPETENT TO THE CORE. Have you ever heard that stupid ***** Nancy Pelosi speak, my god it's worse than anything at gitmo.

The GOP is great at this game.

The GOP is great at this game. But I think the country has wised up to this game. The GOP and bush have had God like powers over the last eight years. They've had a minimum of checks and balances and have been allowed to do whatever they want.

What they have done has been historically poor. Over deregulation have lead to problems in energy, wallstreet, banking, and medical industries; we are involved in two very expensive wars which were sold to the American people on false premises; and the balanced budge of the late 20th century has been squandered....

Most Americans are not nearly better off today than they were eight years ago. And it's tough to spin your way out of that fact.

Dems were in control of Congress

So the job of the minority party can't sponsor their own bill. All the republicans can do is shoot down democratic bills presented as they spill out of the assembly line... Don't remember that lecture in Government class

thanks for the insight

And now where are they?

On ****ING VACATION

Where are the Dems?

Where are the Dems?

Where are the Dems?

Where are the Dems?

Where are the Dems?

Where are the Dems?

Sarge, how much does the Republican National Committee pay you?

Whatever it is, it isn't enough :laugh:

I'm going to let you in on a little secret, THEY'RE ALL CORRUPT AND INCOMPETENT TO THE CORE. Have you ever heard that stupid ***** Nancy Pelosi speak, my god it's worse than anything at gitmo.

No he has a point.

The Republicans have been the ones that have come up more often (recently) with corruption scandals and are more often seen as being out of touch.

I'm not saying that out of personal bias, because I think both sides are equally ****ty but that is the perception.

Sarge, how much does the Republican National Committee pay you?

Whatever it is, it isn't enough :laugh:

That's the Repubs problem, they don't have anyone balls. I would absolutely be killing the Dems right now with this for the next five weeks

I find it ironic that a Republican is complaining about politicians being on vacation.

Hasn't Bush spend more time on vacation than any previous president?

It's also ironic how people are suprised that gas prices are high when they put two oil men in the white house....didn't see this coming in 2000!

It's only Partisan hackery if it's not true.... And actually what I'm sahying are facts not open to interpretation...

Corrupt, - 200 mostly republican congressmen and Senators were implicated in the Abramhoff corruption scandal. That alone proves these guys are corrupt. I won't even go into the corruption documented by the GAO in Iraq or Louisiana which are also substantial and measued in the Billions.

Out of Touch - Remember these quotes...

• "Bush: Mision Accomplished",
  • "Rumsfeld: The insurgency is a bunch of dead enders and criminals",
  • "Rumsfeld: Democracy is messy",
  • "Bush: Brownie is doing a great job"
  • "Bush: Optomistic on the Economy"

Incompetent - I give you the following, known strengths of the American people all of which have had significant set backs under GOP leadership in the last eight years.

• Our economy
  • Our national debt and deficites
  • Our foreign policy
  • Our military
  • Our Katrina Relief effort
  • Our justification for the war in Iraq
  • Our anti terrorism policy priot to 911
  • The justification cited for torturing our prisoners.
  • The Middle east peace effort
  • Healthcare

to just name a few.

Yeah I've heard that justification. Yeah the GOP are incompetent boobs who are corrupt to the core, but so is everybody else so don't impower yourself to make a change...

Who believes that. We are the country which defeated Nazi Germany, Landed a man on the moon, and is the sole super power in the world today. We are at our core competent people. Traditionally government has played a role in our sucesses as a people. The level of incompetence and failure of recent years is not reflective of our people or our governement historically; rather it's only a reflection of our leadership over the last eight years.

Take FEMA for example... It was a model of efficiency and achievment in the government responsible for saving thousands of lives over the span of decades during countless of disasters. It was one of the few sucess stories which came out of the governments of the mid to late 1970's. Their total failure during Katrina had everything to do with Bush appointing a horse show lawyer to run the agency rather than a professional career disaster releaf professional. Likewise Bush cutting their budget and staff in half ( one of the few governemnt oranizations he cut )... showed how stupid this guy is.

Here we are counting on him to prepare the nation for a terrorist attack giving him billions of dollars to do so; and he proves to be incompetent at protecting us from nature.

^^^^at JMS (too long to quote)

See the problem is you act like the Republicans have been the dictators of the U.S. the past eight years and the Democrats have been forced to sit and watch silently while the evil Republicans **** everything up. B.S.

And I don't care about your silly statistics about corruption, because you see, you have to get caught to become one of those statistics, and I'm willing to bet a small fortune that every career politician has done something which should have landed them in jail. Call me a glass half-empty guy or whatever, but since the Dems took over Congress, their track record isn't exactly sterling.

And tell the audience why there where no new refineries built. Or no new nuke plants started. OR no other drilling in Alaska or anywhere else

No refineries built because the deregulated oil industry doen'st want new refineries in this country. They build their refineries in Mexico, and the Carabean where there is no governemnt oversite so they can charge whatever they want for the product when it comes into the country. The regulations were not fixed under the Bush administration they were a reflection of Bush's policies. Bush's second term energy bill called for setting aside land and huge subsidies for oil companies to build new refineries in the US. But it's still better for the oil companies to refine their oil ofshore, since they aren't any penelties for bringing that refined product into the country... The big oil companies almost yearly record breaking profits under the Bush administration are testiment to the soundness of their position.

Republicans proposed a bill to drill in Anwar (Alaska) while they were in the majority, and were not able to pass it because Republicans wouldn't vote for it. John McCain voted against drilling in Alaska's Anwar during Bush's first term in office..

Again, why didn't Congress get this done when the Repubs had control, earlier in Bush's Presidency?

Because when gas is $1.50, the voters didn't want drilling off the coast of Florida.

But when gas is $4.00, they do.

Because as bad as the Democrats might be, and as much as most Americans might disagree with some of their politics... The Democrates are not known to be corrupt, out of touch, and incompetent at their core... And six years of Republican rule in congress and eight years in the Presidency has demonstrated conclusively to the nation that the GOP are all of these things..

Sweet, someone much more sarcastic that I could ever possibly be.

Of course, if you are even a little bit serious, I would suggest you make sure your mommy and daddy watch what you post - maybe crayons and white paper would be better for you.

^^^^at JMS (too long to quote)

See the problem is you act like the Republicans have been the dictators of the U.S. the past eight years and the Democrats have been forced to sit and watch silently while the evil Republicans **** everything up. B.S.

I act? The republicans have had almost absolute power for Bush's first six years in office, and have been very strong for the last 18 month too. The republicans had the majority in both houses, the majority of the supreme court appointed judges, and the Presidency for SIX YEARS.... And even know with the Democratic majority in the house and senate, the democrates still can't overturn a veto, or suppress a filibuster because their majority is not sufficient for these things; which basically makes them next to powerless even today....

It's a fact that George Bush has been less effected by checks and balances than any president since FDR. The Democrates had been powerless for six years and are next to powerless even today.

And I don't care about your silly statistics about corruption,

We call those documented facts, which I'm not supprised you don't care about and find most inconvient.

because you see, you have to get caught to become one of those statistics, and I'm willing to bet a small fortune that every career politician has done something which should have landed them in jail. Call me a glass half-empty guy or whatever, but since the Dems took over Congress, their track record isn't exactly sterling.

That's a problem with your philosophy of government. You expect incompetence and failure, so when it's presented to you; you just roll your eyes and continue to vote for the failure. You've come to expect it and thus don't hold your leaders responsible for it. Failure and incompetence is not our history as a nation. We can do better. We should expect more from our leaders. If the democrats proove to be as bad as the republcians have been; we'll throw those loosers out too and try someone else.

Frankly I think that is Obama's appeal. It's not that he's black, or that he's experienced; It's that he seems to be a smart guy; and he's new. He is being chosen because of more mainstream democrat followed by Republican failures in the passed. Democrates who failed as moral leaders of the country under Clinton. And Republicans who failed at moral leadership as well as managing our interests after Clinton.

Obama is the counry reaching out for something new. When the apples are rotten in the barrel, you go to the tree.

No refineries built because the deregulated oil industry doen'st want new refineries in this country. They build their refineries in Mexico, and the Carabean where there is no governemnt oversite so they can charge whatever they want for the product when it comes into the country. The regulations were not fixed under the Bush administration they were a reflection of Bush's policies. Bush's second term energy bill called for setting aside land and huge subsidies for oil companies to build new refineries in the US. But it's still better for the oil companies to refine their oil ofshore, since they aren't any penelties for bringing that refined product into the country... The big oil companies almost yearly record breaking profits under the Bush administration are testiment to the soundness of their position.

Republicans proposed a bill to drill in Anwar (Alaska) while they were in the majority, and were not able to pass it because Republicans wouldn't vote for it. John McCain voted against drilling in Alaska's Anwar during Bush's first term in office..

You're forgetting something aren't you?

It starts with an "E"

But whose in charge now? And where the hell are they?

Republicans are largely still in charge. They can kill any bill in the senate by filibustering and they can stop any bill in the house with a presidential veto.....

Don't worry though, the Dems will likely get the Presidency and a super majority in the house in Novermber and likely pick up a half dozen seats in the senat too.

Then the Republican gripeing might actually have merit, rather than simple a stupid attempt to land political points with their base.

Okay, it's been conclusively established that drilling won't affect gas prices for 10 years (at the earliest). And even then, the amount projected to come out of new leases is so miniscule that economists doubt it will affect prices by more than a few cents.... in 2020.

And Sarge - the decrease in gas prices over the past month is because of a decrease in demand from consumers, because of the high prices themselves and the fact that the economy stinks so much right now:

July 31 (Bloomberg) -- Crude oil fell more than $2 a barrel, capping the biggest one-month decline since December 2004, as a slowing U.S. economy caused fuel consumption to weaken to the lowest in three years.

The economy shrank at the end of 2007 and grew less than forecast in this year's second quarter, curbing fuel demand. Consumption averaged 20.7 million barrels a day in the past 12 months, the lowest for the period since 2004-2005, according to U.S. Energy Department data.

``Expectations about the economy have deteriorated, which is weighing on the oil market,'' said Brad Samples, a commodity analyst for Summit Energy Inc. in Louisville, Kentucky. ``With demand so poor, we have to re-examine price expectations. The market will be guided by the economic outlook here, in Europe and in the emerging markets.''

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aEW0qeztFa1A&refer=home

But.... this is SUCH an urgent issue that the Republicans are "playing House" like crybabies with the lights out and microphones off, ordering pizza and making a huge production? What are they, ten-year-old girls on a sleepover?

Kinda pathetic if you ask me.

And 100% political, intended only to score points on an issue that won't help consumers anytime soon.

This is the same group of Republicans that killed (1) the "use it or lose it" bill requiring gas companies to drill on the millions of leases they currently own, (2) a bill that would have required the release of millions of barrels from the strategic petroleum reserve, which is at historically high levels, and (3) a bill that would have cracked down on oil speculators.

GOD FORBID that we try to actually wean ourselves from our oil addition instead of a gimmick like drilling that will have no impact at all on prices. Or pass the bills outlined above which ACTUALLY might have had a short-term impact on prices. No, the GOP is not concerned about prices. They are concerned about scoring political points.

Instead, the GOP must do what Exxon wants, since they probably want to set a new American record next quarter by making even more than $12 billion. By all means, let's give them more taxpayer property at bargain basement rates, and give them more subsidies and tax breaks while we're at it. :doh:

The GOP is so far up Exxon's nether regions that they decide to throw a hissy fit when the House closes down for a regularly-scheduled break (it happens every year at this time).

Sad, really.

Liberals make me laugh... When the Republicans controlled the House and the Senate, they weren't so kind to the majority party. I mean, the Republicans had control of Senate and House for just over 4 of the last 8 years (thanks to Jim Jeffords), therefore you can't blame congress' woes entirely on one party. The democrats are politically on the wrong side of this issue, and you can't blame the republicans for trying to capitalize.

Archived