Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Darrell Green: In the words of...

the krabber

Darrell Green: In the words of... (Link)

Here is the link to a similar article on Monk (Link)

Teammate Art Monk

Monk on the opportunity for Green and him to give back to the community during their 281 Tour commemorating their trip to the Hall of Fame:

"So in just brainstorming the idea of his number and my number, jersey numbers being combined together, we had 281, then we just kind of put [together] Route 281 to the Hall of Fame as a means of a marketing scheme to help raise money for our causes. That entailed us going around to various cities locally and remotely to speak; to do autographs, signings, different activities; punt, pass and kick contests; to really engage those communities to come together.

"Where most athletes kind of take advantage of the Hall of Fame to benefit themselves, we decided to use this opportunity to benefit our organization, raising money for our organizations that serve our youth.

"But it's great. I mean, what makes this even more significant than just being in the Hall of Fame is that we're going in together. He wasn't just a teammate of mine, he's a great friend. Our families are like real family. His kids call me uncle. My kids called him uncle. We do those things together. This makes it just that much more of a special event for us."

Opponent Eric Allen

Allen, who watched Green's career from the sidelines as a cornerback with the Philadelphia Eagles, on how Green's athletic ability enabled him to use solely the outside technique:

"He used his speed to be able to see the quarterback through the receiver. So that gave him an advantage because if the pressure was getting there fast, and the quarterback was going to have to throw early, he could see that ball and break on it. But the one downfall of that was, if you are facing a big receiver like Mike Quick or Michael Irvin, they are going to play basketball on you, shield you so you can't get the inside ball and they can catch the ball. And that is one of the things I learned from watching Darrell."

Darrell Green

Green on growing up as an undersized athlete in the football-crazy state of Texas, and what he did to overcome his fears:

"I actually played for my elementary school, instead of playing with the guys my age, I played with the guys my size. In eighth grade, I wasn't able to do that, obviously I got too old and in eighth grade I didn't play and I was a little afraid, a little small.

"In the eighth grade, I came up with a plan. So I said I better go and run track and at least get on the athletic radar, and that's what I did. I had a plan to go out there in the 11th grade. They said: 'Well, we'll put you on the junior varsity. We'll go with that.' So I said, 'Thank you, at least I get to play,' so I did.

"I think [it] goes back to my dad, who said: 'Boy, you can really play that ball,' and that was encouraging. But that was against all of the voices of, 'Man, you're too little,' or 'Get out of here little guy you're too small, you're scared.'

"So his voice eventually prevailed, but really early on, I was you know, I can't say anything benefited me. I was struggling trying to just stand up out there and face the guys on a day-to-day basis. I was a little fella and I was scared."

A Story

Green's teammate, former Redskins guard Mark Schlereth, on just how fast Green really was:

"Every time we won, [the film department] would stay up all night and not only get all the film cutups, but they would put together a highlight reel of the game and set it to music. It would be a three- or four-minute highlight reel. And they would show it in our meeting on Monday.

"We were playing the Phoenix Cardinals, and Green -- we used to call him Peewee or Peanut Head -- intercepts the ball and we rewound the video highlight film, because it was one of those situations where he intercepted the football, and it reminded me of the old Disney movie ["The World's Greatest Athlete"] … where a guy is running against a cheetah. You know where they like sped him up so he could run with the cheetah, it looked totally cheesy.

"But he intercepted the ball and took it to the house for a TD, and I swear to you, I kid you not, it was like they doctored the film. He was so much faster than everybody on the field. We were like, 'Come on what did you do to the film?' But no, that was just exactly what it was. He was just that much faster than everybody on the football field. It was just an amazing video clip."

We were playing the Phoenix Cardinals, and Green -- we used to call him Peewee or Peanut Head -- intercepts the ball and we rewound the video highlight film, because it was one of those situations where he intercepted the football, and it reminded me of the old Disney movie ["The World's Greatest Athlete"] … where a guy is running against a cheetah. You know where they like sped him up so he could run with the cheetah, it looked totally cheesy.

"But he intercepted the ball and took it to the house for a TD, and I swear to you, I kid you not, it was like they doctored the film. He was so much faster than everybody on the field. We were like, 'Come on what did you do to the film?' But no, that was just exactly what it was. He was just that much faster than everybody on the football field. It was just an amazing video clip."

:laugh:

That is a funny story.

And Green was exceptionally fast. Wern't many who could chase down Tony Dorsett and Eric Dickerson.

That is a funny story.

And Green was exceptionally fast. Wern't many who could chase down Tony Dorsett and Eric Dickerson.

I saw an interview on CSN last night where Green was telling the interviewer that back in college, his teammates and friends would imagine situations in which he had to run down Dorsett, just to have it happen his rookie season.

No. But it will be great in front of my tv all weekend. Have fun man.

haha I will. My liver is gonna wanna kill me though. And it probably doesnt help that Ill be getting back just in time Monday to hit the bars around here with my roommate for his birthday :D.

I saw an interview on CSN last night where Green was telling the interviewer that back in college, his teammates and friends would imagine situations in which he had to run down Dorsett, just to have it happen his rookie season.

For any Dallas fans that happen upon this thread, for the record, Darrell didn't have the angle on Dorsett.

He created the angle on Dorsett. :dallasuck

For any Dallas fans that happen upon this thread, for the record, Darrell didn't have the angle on Dorsett.

He created the angle on Dorsett. :dallasuck

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071002065539AAHq6Ed

Statement:

Darrell Green had the angle on Tony Dorsett in 1983?

I dont care what anyone says

Best Response:

No. I'm a Cowboy fan who watched that game and all the others between the two. Green ran Dorsett down. Darrell Green may have been the fastest man to ever strap on cleats. He used to crack me up because he ran with arms and elbows flying about - no telling how fast he could go if he ran more trained sprinter style.

• 1 month later...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071002065539AAHq6Ed

Statement:

Darrell Green had the angle on Tony Dorsett in 1983?

I dont care what anyone says

Best Response:

No. I'm a Cowboy fan who watched that game and all the others between the two. Green ran Dorsett down. Darrell Green may have been the fastest man to ever strap on cleats. He used to crack me up because he ran with arms and elbows flying about - no telling how fast he could go if he ran more trained sprinter style.

Right Response: Green had an angle and started running up field a full 10 yards ahead of where Dorsett was when he broke through the line of scrimmage. I have the film. I saw it when it happened in 1983. Green was fast no doubt - but the Dorsett tackle had an angle while his Dickerson tackle did not. Dorsett had 4.2 speed as well. Here is what Tony D says about it: http://www.nfl.com/halloffame/story?id=09000d5d809a866c&template=with-video&confirm=true

Green's fastest recorded 40 time is 4.09 seconds.

Green ran a 4.22 for the 40 yard dash at the NFL combine which is tied with Bo Jackson for the fastest 40 in NFL combine history.

Then, at age 40, he was clocked in a hand-held time of 4.24 in the 40 yard dash

Angle or not, he caught him. BTW, I don't know where you got he started 10 yards ahead of him. You are full of it. Tony is still a few yards ahead of him at the 50 yard line. And I don't know what Geometry teacher taught you, but the straight line is shorter than the "angled" route. Dorsett got beat.

For your enjoyment

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=866806571920010847

Green's fastest recorded 40 time is 4.09 seconds.

Green ran a 4.22 for the 40 yard dash at the NFL combine which is tied with Bo Jackson for the fastest 40 in NFL combine history.

Then, at age 40, he was clocked in a hand-held time of 4.24 in the 40 yard dash

Angle or not, he caught him. BTW, I don't know where you got he started 10 yards ahead of him. You are full of it. Tony is still a few yards ahead of him at the 50 yard line. And I don't know what Geometry teacher taught you, but the straight line is shorter than the "angled" route. Dorsett got beat.

For your enjoyment

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=866806571920010847

get chills everytime i see that video, thanks for posting that.

Right Response: Green had an angle and started running up field a full 10 yards ahead of where Dorsett was when he broke through the line of scrimmage. I have the film. I saw it when it happened in 1983. Green was fast no doubt - but the Dorsett tackle had an angle while his Dickerson tackle did not. Dorsett had 4.2 speed as well. Here is what Tony D says about it: http://www.nfl.com/halloffame/story?id=09000d5d809a866c&template=with-video&confirm=true

Let me get this straight. Your first post is to bump this thread with that response? On something that happened that long ago? Sigh. At least try to be a bit more current. Like maybe this century even.

Uh huh. Tell me then how many players in this position would catch a guy with 4.2 speed?

What a hilarious misunderstanding of the term "had an angle". Green had to run at an angle to catch him, yes...what do you want him to do, run parallel to him the entire time? As the picture shows, Green was definitely behind him. Running at an angle is actually a disadvantage for Green, not an advantage. It would take some serious speed to catch an NFL running back from that position.

My favorite part is when TonyD says "I have the film". Note that he doesn't say "I have a VHS tape from 25 years ago" or "I saw it on youtube recently". He actually says "I have the film"...as if he's this NFL big-shot who has access to game film.

Archived