Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Darrell Green good friends w/ Irvin...

ljs

It was a game back around 92 or so. Dallas and Washington playing one of those tough games. Ball goes to Harper with Darrell on coverage. Fight breaks out between the 2 right when the whistle is blown. Darrell and Harper getting after it. Other players separate the 2 with Michael putting his arm around Darrell and leading him away. Darrell let him and Mike talked to him for a few. You could see Darrell trying to explain what's up and Mike basically nodding. It didn't surprise me at the time because I knew there had to be a mutual respect between the 2 men. Since then, there have been stories where the two have admitted to being friends. Darrell reached out to help him after Mike's last real big hassle with the law while still with the Cowboys. Good thing players don't take all this stuff as seriously as we do at times I think.

Very touching, but I still and always will hate Michael Irvin. The fact that Irvin made the Hall before MOnk still makes me sick to my stomach. Actually, reading Irvin's name on this site makes me sick to my stomach

:dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

Gary Clark was a better receiver than Michael Irvin.

**** that Cowboy piece of ****. He acted like a scumbag each and everytime he played us. He's probably my least favorite player of all time.

How exactly did he act like a scumbag each and every time he played us? I mean you were only 9 years old when Michael Irvin last played, 3 years old when Gary Clark last played for the Redskins, 5 years old when he retired.

I'm just curious how you could have garnered such hate for someone who you possibly couldn't have really known.

I actually respect Irvin. He isn't perfect, but I think he's a pretty good person (even though he had a drug problem). He was very well-respected by his teammates. His HOF speech seemed pretty legit and heartfelt to me.

I pretty much feel the same way.. I HATED him when he played no doubt about it. He's got his warts off the field, but who doesn't? His speech last year was one of the best HOF speeches ever.. His love for the game is truer than most that have ever played the game and I can appreciate that. He was hilarious on ESPN and I hope he sticks on NFL-N.

Doesn't surprise me at all. They were great adversaries for many years. I think FANS have a hard time reconciling the fact they are people at the end of the day. It would be ridiculous for them not to be friends after they were done playing football.

I understand it's a new day but I still miss the days of Talbert vs. Staubach and Dick Butkus and Ray Nitschke vs. every offensive player. They wouldn't be putting their arm around opponents or congratulating them for anything.

Even old Redskins game programs from back then would show opposing team's players under the heading of "Know Your Enemy" and that's that the other team was.....the ENEMY.

There's very little intimidation factor anymore. These kinder, gentler players don't seem larger than life the way they used to when I was young.

Classy and gentleman are often used to describe Darrell Green and, while those seem to be perfect descriptions of him, it sure does take the steam out of a rivalry.

I guess I'm just an old fart and old school but if Michael Irvin showed up at my door with dinner and a keg, I'd tell him to get the hell off my property and find some Cowpuke loving arsehead to rub elbows with.

I actually respect Irvin. He isn't perfect, but I think he's a pretty good person (even though he had a drug problem). He was very well-respected by his teammates. His HOF speech seemed pretty legit and heartfelt to me.

Trust me, he's NOT a good person. I know first hand. I married his brother's wife's nephew (if that makes any sense-lol). Once he made it big, he completely disowned his entire family and all his friends. He totally forgot where he came from in every aspect. He doesn't even call his family on holidays, birthdays, etc. And it's not like he came from a bad family. All of them are really great people and care a lot about him. He's just a very arrogant person.

Archived