Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dennis Miller & Co. First Game - A Hit?

shamaran

While I found the first Mon. Night Football game entertaining and competitive, the booth crew seemed a bit out-of-sync. at times.

Anyone else notice -

Dennis Miller was trying to sound more football-savy, while Dan Fouts was trying to be more humorous. It almost seemed, at times, they both reversed roles?

Al Micheals had a hideous growth on his upper lip. Was that his best attempt at growing a mustache?

What was especially interesting (to me) was that early in the game, they showed the group and Miller had his shirt out, untucked and no tie. The other two had ties tightly knotted and looked anything but disshoveled.

Then, after the halftime, they showed the booth and Dennis had joined ranks, tie on, shirt tucked, the whole bit. He looked very displeased. The producer must have ordered him to shape up.

Then, as if Dennis was a school child asserting his will, the group shot in the fourth quarter had Dennis with shirt out, tie off, and pants off too; he actually pulled his shirt up and showed his boxers, to the delight of the other two in the booth.

I hope Miller doesn't cave in. I like him when he's trying to be natural, not a football expert, but just a guy in the booth that doesn't take things too seriously. Al and Dan are serious enough.

laugh.gif

the truth is Fouts and Miller have similar cadences to their voices and it is difficult to discern WHO is saying what sometimes in the booth.

Fout is amiable enough but colorless. Michaels is knowledgeable enough, but the other two bring no real compelling contrasts to the telecast to make it interesting.

Remember when Meredith and Cosell would disagree vehemently about a certain player or approach taken by a coach?

Miller to me is the ultimate suck up. He is a front-runner extraordinaire. Let a team get a 10-14 point lead and he starts lionizing the team's players so that you would think all 53 belong in the Hall of Fame.

What Miller knows about the NFL can fit in my grandmother's old hat box tongue.gif

Untucked or not, Miller is an empty comedic shirt who is way past his prime and way out of his element. He reaches for his MNF humor, and has little to say beyond satirizing the most mundane (and obvious) things he sees.

Michaels is clearly insecure and competitive by nature. He really doesn't know what to do with Miller there, and finds himself laughing uncomfortably at some of Miller's inane jokes. They should just add a laugh track to the broadcast to spare Michaels this problem. With that being said, he's still a solid play-by-play man.

I like Fouts, who is both humorous (for a football color man) and an insightful commentator. For a solid broadcast team, they really only need Fouts and Michaels. However, they want MNF to be different, to have something extra. So I will say what I have been saying for one year now - they should add Riggins as the third guy. Now THAT would be something to listen to!

------------------

"Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're just too damn tight!" - John Riggins to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

Not that it is saying much, but I thought that Miller was improved over last year. At least he was trying to tell jokes instead of trying to pass himself off as a football analyst. And your right NavyDave, Melissa Stark is easy in the eyes.

1) Am I the only one who thinks getting rid of Gifford ranks right up there with changing Coke? (Or changing the theme music?)

2) My opinion of Miller is: I'd rather give Deion a shot. If you want color, have a contest, where you pick one tailgator from the parking lot before the game, and invite him in. He won't be an expert, he definatly won't be neutral, but he likely WILL be enthusiastic.

[edited.gif by Larry on August 07, 2001.]

Wow... I guess I am in the minority here. I've always appreciated his humor, and actually thought he did a really good job last year. Gifford and Boomer both blew chunks. I enjoyed the improved rapport among the three, and thought he brought a nice little spin to things. Fouts is easily the most boring of the three. If anyone should be swapped out its him, although he seems to get along well with the others.

Maybe you guys just don't understand all of those "big words" smile.gif. Yes, that was a horrible cheapshot, and I expect hellfire and brimstone to rain down upon me right about now.

well for those of us who have been privileged enough to learn how to use knives and forks at the dinner table, the rants and attempted highbrow humor of Dennis Miller falls short.

the next time I need an existential commentary on an NFL hit by Ray Lewis I will be sure and consult my pocket Sartre edition smile.gif

as for listening to Miller for 3 hours, I thought seeing him for 6 or 7 minutes on SNL was stretching his talent.

so, don't look for any succor here, my friend.

TCO,

You aren't alone in your opinion of Miller. I would like to see Fouts replaced with somebody like Riggo since he would not intimidate Riggo but Riggo might intimidate him. I mean, Riggo would not be afraid to say 'WTH are you talking about' to Miller. For entertainment value, how about Riggo and Deion?

------------------

There are two kinds of opinions, mine and the wrong one!

Yeah, Dickerson is only there because of his name. He brings less than nothing to the telecast.

Melissa Starke is definitely eye candy. The funny rumor I heard last year was that by mid-season she only held the microphone in the left hand because fans had noticed through her tight-fitting tops that her left boob was smaller than her right, so she got paranoid.

I hadn't noticed, I was listening to her commentary . . .

------------------

"Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're just too damn tight!" - John Riggins to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

I like having Miller in the booth. He's funny and he doesn't take it all so seriously.

That show is supposed to be an 'event', not a football game. So if they're gonna feed us personalities, I'd just as soon have Miller, ditch Fouts, and have Miller pick a defferent guest each week of the same caliber as the folks who do his HBO show.

Face it, half the MNF games are yawners anyway. I'd rather hear Miller and somebody like David Spade goofing off than wait 20 minutes for Fouts to come up with something relevant.

Eloqution has never been Dickerson's forte. Although, to his credit, he seems like he's been going to speaking classes; he's much better this year than last.

Last season, they should have had subtitles ever time he opened his mouth!

And, Mellisa must be a tall gal. She seemed to be looking down on Nick Bunocatti (sp?) and at eye level with Youngblood. Maybe she was wearing platforms? With a top half like hers, it's no wonder the camera never panned down to see. As the Greasman would so often say, "Sweeeet!"

Archived