Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sent friends off to War this Morning.

Mass_SkinsFan

Well, I helped send about 250 very good friends off to war this morning.

We all met at one of the Rest Areas on the Rt. 84 here in Massachusetts at about 6am this morning, checked to ensure that everyone had their armor, weapons, tents, garb, equipment, etc.... then sent them on down the road for their nearly 500 mile journey to Slippery Rock, PA and the largest medieval reenactment event in the world.... Pennsic War XXXVII. I'm sure they'll meet up with other groups along the way and the caravan will steadily increase in size as they go. I wish them the best of luck in their journey. Unfortunately this year I will not be joining them or the roughly 11,000 other attendee's of the SCA's largest event.

Now I'm sure that's NOT what most of you expected when you opened this thread. I'm sorry to have wasted your time, but I'm just really depressed right now about not being able to join my fellows in fighting, feasting, and the other wonderful Pennsic activities this year. I've been to the last three Pennsic's and was really hoping to make it a yearly endeavour. Unfortunately this year it's not going to happen. Again, sorry for the personal pity party, but I'm just seriously bummed out right now.

Couldn't afford to go or work related? Don't you have a lady friend your spending time with this weekend? Should keep you occupied.

A little of both. If it was just the $$$$, I'd have found a way to do it. Unfortunately I'm also sitting on the negotiating committee for our new Engineering Group union contract negotiations and I don't feel it's appropriate for me to take at least one week (and preferably two) off in order to go on vacation while that's ongoing.

Unfortunately I'm on-call at work this weekend so my time to visit with Sarah is somewhat limited. She came out with me to see these people off this morning and we had breakfast afterwards but since I can't predict my schedule for the weekend I'm on my own for the most part.

thats pretty cool. not my bag really but I can really get see how people would get in to that. 250 people all decked out and going off to "battle". sounds like a good time man

It's a GREAT time, Mike. 11,000 - 13,000 people by the height of the War most years. Occassionally more. Close to 2,000 fighters on the field during the battles. Archers, fencers, artists, craftspeople, merchants, singers, dancers, musicians. We turn the clock at Cooper's Lake Campground in Slippery Rock, PA back about 800 years for two weeks every year.

Hopefully this will be the LAST year that I miss it.

Not all of this is from Pennsic, but should give you an idea what the fighting is about....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfb29gysxXQ

Looks like a cool event, IHOP.

A little different than what we do, but very nice.

It would not be my first pick but its local

I would LOVE to see the big Gettysburg one

I have friends that re-enact English Civil War and Western Frontier Trade Rendezvous

I think my first pick would be the American Revolution

I missed my annual float trip down the Upper Potomac this past week. I know how you feel about missing something that is important to you. I rememeber last year when you were so excited about going and the photos you posted upon your return.

Like everyone told me, there is always next year and you may appreciate it a little more since you missed it this year.

It would not be my first pick but its local

I would LOVE to see the big Gettysburg one

I have friends that re-enact English Civil War and Western Frontier Trade Rendezvous

I think my first pick would be the American Revolution

I've been to Gettysburg. It's nice, but I'll tell you it's a TON more fun when you're one of the re-enactors at an event than just being part of the audience.

I haven't seen the English Civil War groups here in the US, but the Western Frontier and AmerRev groups are actually pretty active around here. We've got some WWII and even Vietnam era groups in the area too.

I missed my annual float trip down the Upper Potomac this past week. I know how you feel about missing something that is important to you. I rememeber last year when you were so excited about going and the photos you posted upon your return.

Like everyone told me, there is always next year and you may appreciate it a little more since you missed it this year.

I'm hoping so, bschurm. If I hear... "Don't worry, we'll squash a couple Orks (Midrealm fighters) for you." one more time I'm probably going to burst out into tears. I want to be the one squashing those friggin Orks, thank you very much!!!! Pennsic is one of two or three times a year that I actually get to fight with my entire unit. When I told them I couldn't go they offered to help pay my way if necessary. I told them it wasn't just a monetary thing. They understand but are bummed out that I'm not going to be there too.

Very cool.....I do WWII reenacting 1st Div 26th Reg...

I thought our big annual event drew big numbers at 2,500 or so but dam 11,000 thats whacked. Must be a blast.

This is our big event, at least on the east coast

http://www.maam.org/maamwwii.html

Very cool.

that 11K number is about the smallest Pennsic gets. We've had over 15K in the past. People from all over the US, Canada, Western Europe (the Kingdom of Drachenwald), Australia (the Kingdom of Lochac), etc.... It's truly a blast.

As a wise man once said.... "If you can't get laid at Pennsic, YOU CAN'T GET LAID!!!!!"

Didn't know that TK was into this:

(sorry you're missing it MSF, but there's always next year)

That's House Clovenshield. They're a little "different", even for the SCA.

Thanks for the kind words, TLC. Unfortunately I've learned in the last three years that Pennsic is really my "Home". There's a story behind that phrase, but I'll save you from dying of boredom and not includ it.

I'm generally on a 50 or 51 week hyatis from home, but for that 1 or 2 weeks a year I actually get to go "Home". Unfortunately I'm missing that this year and it's got me really, really bummed out.

Just got off the phone a little while ago.....

In spite of 2 flat tires, 1 speeding ticket, and more road construction than they ever want to see again the caravan of East Kingdom Pilgrims arrived at Cooper's Lake Campground in Slippery Rock, PA about 4:30 this afternoon.

They then proceeded to have to wait 45 minutes to get through Troll (registration) because there weren't enough staff members on duty and despite having been to the event numerous times certain (multiple) members of the group forgot that PENNSIC TROLL DOESN'T TAKE CHECKS!!!!!

In spite of all these trials and tribulations they are on-site, set up and ready for two weeks of fun and total debauchery.... without me.

Archived