Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Portis fantasy mention

bubba9497

http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/story;jsessionid=6DDDE24283D6A0D96CC9130BA1E6552D?id=09000d5d8094f1ee&template=with-video&confirm=true

Click link for entire article

I have the No. 7 overall selection in our 12-team league. Assuming that LaDainian Tomlinson, Adrian Peterson, Brian Westbrook, Steven Jackson and Joseph Addai are off the board, which running back should I take? Would that spot be too soon to draft Marshawn Lynch? -- J. Bosdell, Richmond, Va.

M.F.: As much as I like Lynch, I think Portis is the sixth-best running back in seasonal drafts. The Washington runner should see the lion's share of carries in the offense of new head coach Jim Zorn, and he'll also be allowed chances to produce as a receiver out of the backfield as well.

I've drafted Portis every year on my fantasy team since he came here in 2004, he's been damn reliable every season except 2006

my team was crap last year and I am in a keeper league. I think he will be my keeper... I drafted him in like the 3rd or 4th round I think so it might work out pretty well form.

my team was crap last year and I am in a keeper league. I think he will be my keeper... I drafted him in like the 3rd or 4th round I think so it might work out pretty well form.

I would keep him for sure. If Zorn's offense is really WC-based then Portis will get a lot of passes thrown his way too just like they said in the article

I may be by myself on this one but I really would pick up ronnie brown...I think he is very talented. He is a good catcher and has good moves in the open field. He also has a big enough frame to get the carries short range...and here's a nice fact(I know this because I was paying attention when I played fantasy football last year): Ronnie Brown actually led all RB's in points up until his injury. Now that the Dolphins have made their OL even better this year, I'm really looking at the idea to get Ronnie Brown.

Hmm

We'll see even LESS of Betts?

I like the idea of them sharing the load. Maybe not 50-50 but Portis needs some relief every once in a while.

i hate the idea of them sharing the load, occasional relief is one thing, but portis needs to be the premier back. the only reason betts did so well in 06 is because the oline was opening holes the size of the red sea, something portis hasnt been able to be the beneficiary of as of yet. i cant take anymore of betts inability to find the endzone(portis still finished with more TDs than betts in 06) and betts propensity to fumble in the open field during one of his big runs in 06, also betts doesnt have the moves to juke defenders in the secondary.

i hate the idea of them sharing the load, occasional relief is one thing, but portis needs to be the premier back. the only reason betts did so well in 06 is because the oline was opening holes the size of the red sea, something portis hasnt been able to be the beneficiary of as of yet. i cant take anymore of betts inability to find the endzone(portis still finished with more TDs than betts in 06) and betts propensity to fumble in the open field during one of his big runs in 06, also betts doesnt have the moves to juke defenders in the secondary.

Betts is one of the better backups in the league, and even the Chargers give their backup quite a few carries. Even the best of the best need to have some relief. The two-back system is what many teams are going towards, you're exaggerating Betts faults, he's a good running back.

Betts is one of the better backups in the league, and even the Chargers give their backup quite a few carries. Even the best of the best need to have some relief. The two-back system is what many teams are going towards, you're exaggerating Betts faults, he's a good running back.

yeah, I am going to have to agree. CP is a workhorse... but everyone needs a breather. If you don't utilize Betts you are increasing the chances of CP burning out or worse getting injured.

Hmm

We'll see even LESS of Betts?

I like the idea of them sharing the load. Maybe not 50-50 but Portis needs some relief every once in a while.

Considering that Zorn has said that Portis cannot take himself out of games any longer, I'd assume that he will be the featured back.

And remember, WCO passes alot so Portis won't be running as often as he was in years past.

This isn't a 2 back system. Portis is the starter and Betts is the back up. It's that simple people....get THE FACTS! Running backs need rythym and the only way to get that is at least 20-25 carries. Betts will get a series or two....but let's not get worked up here.

Considering that Zorn has said that Portis cannot take himself out of games any longer, I'd assume that he will be the featured back.

And remember, WCO passes alot so Portis won't be running as often as he was in years past.

Zorn said we're still 'run first' but who knows.

Portis is by far the better blocker so as we see an increase in throwing plays we'll see him on the field more.

I may be by myself on this one but I really would pick up ronnie brown...I think he is very talented. He is a good catcher and has good moves in the open field. He also has a big enough frame to get the carries short range...and here's a nice fact(I know this because I was paying attention when I played fantasy football last year): Ronnie Brown actually led all RB's in points up until his injury. Now that the Dolphins have made their OL even better this year, I'm really looking at the idea to get Ronnie Brown.

Does anyone agree?

Great Point!

The line is exactly why TJ Duckett did so well that season too. Anyone could have run behind it.

:doh:

Yes...but doubt he is around long.
Thatz cool. That was my worry too. How will he bounce back from his injury and can he stay healthy...it's what kept me from picking up Adrian Peterson last year and I really regret not doing it...I dont know. Hopefully I get a top 3 pick so I can avoid this dilemna.

i understand your train of thought. but picking up a player the season after such a major injury is always risky, especially when he plays for a team that won 1 game all of last season.
Thatz cool. That was my worry too. How will he bounce back from his injury and can he stay healthy...it's what kept me from picking up Adrian Peterson last year and I really regret not doing it...I dont know. Hopefully I get a top 3 pick so I can avoid this dilemna.

If you have a top three pick and take Ronnie Brown, expect a long season. If any draft doesn't go with either LT, AP, Westbrook, Addai with top four picks... somebody messed up their pick. I'd even allow Brady to slip in there, but Ronnie Brown? If you're convinced he'll be a stud despite coming back from an injury that limits his explosiveness while learning a new offense... then take him in the second round. Any higher is too much of a risk.

I'm all for Ronnie Brown or Clinton Portis as my top pick this year. All the other good guys are off the board. I really wish I would have taken AP last year like I thought I would.

I'm thinking Portis would make the season a whole lot more fun though. Everybody loves CP and all his crazy characters!

If you have a top three pick and take Ronnie Brown, expect a long season. If any draft doesn't go with either LT, AP, Westbrook, Addai with top four picks... somebody messed up their pick. I'd even allow Brady to slip in there, but Ronnie Brown? If you're convinced he'll be a stud despite coming back from an injury that limits his explosiveness while learning a new offense... then take him in the second round. Any higher is too much of a risk.
I was mentioning Brown for the 6th pick not a top three pick. If I had top three it would be LT, AP, or BW.

Archived