Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Impact of Coaching Changes

Thinking Skins

The Impact of Coaching Changes

In Washington, the coaching staff left town, replaced by Jim Zorn, a proponent of the West Coast offense as the former QB coach under Mike Holmgren. Sherman Smith, a former Titans RB coach, will call the plays. But Holmgren's variation of the attack is less dink-and-dunk and more downfield in nature – Matt Hasselbeck is always among the league leaders in attempts traveling more than 10 yards from scrimmage in the air. Downfield passing is a strength of QB Jesse Campbell. The team put a lot of effort into upgrading a wide receiver corps that wasn't bad. They made a major play for Chad Johnson before drafting Devin Thomas and Malcom Kelly with the 34th and 51st picks, respectively. That's a tell regarding their desire to implement a more explosive, downfield attack. Zorn/Holmgren called lots of running plays in close, generating easy TDs for Shaun Alexander. But this is not a strength for either Clinton Portis or Ladell Betts.

I was just thinking that. I was so confused I had to read it three times, because the entire thing was false. LOL!

Was this part false?

"Holmgren's variation of the attack is less dink-and-dunk and more downfield in nature – Matt Hasselbeck is always among the league leaders in attempts traveling more than 10 yards from scrimmage in the air. Downfield passing is a strength of QB Jesse Campbell. The team put a lot of effort into upgrading a wide receiver corps that wasn't bad. They made a major play for Chad Johnson before drafting Devin Thomas and Malcom Kelly with the 34th and 51st picks, respectively. That's a tell regarding their desire to implement a more explosive, downfield attack."

I see a lot of truth in there, actually...

And this part is pretty much true, too:

"Zorn/Holmgren called lots of running plays in close, generating easy TDs for Shaun Alexander. But this is not a strength for either Clinton Portis or Ladell Betts."

Portis and Betts aren't exactly known for their tough running inside the 10 yard line...

I'd still bet that we run a varation of Zone blocking that gives Portis multiple options.

Portis has great vision and if we give him a few lanes, he will be hitting a few homeruns this year.

As for depth in passing, I expect alot of mid-range stuff 10-15 yard passes with the occasional set up to Moss, ARE or Thomas deep.

Note, Portis has over 10 tds in 3 of his seasons here, right?

but he can't punch it in? Please......

Here's another note: the Skins have ranked 15th, 18th and 20th in red zone offense three out of the four seasons Portis has been here.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that Portis and Betts aren't exactly Jerome Bettis when inside the 10 yard line.

Archived