Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just for fun ~ but a history lesson too!

D'KanSkinFan

I generally like Billy Joel's stuff, but always hated that song. :)

Billy Joel, a Boomer who made a living out of telling us that school is worthless and education is for squares, decides to explain the history of history in cute little cold war soundbites. Eh. Thanks for the dime store insight, but no thanks.

But then again, I admit I'm a history snob. :)

Billy Joel, a Boomer who made a living out of telling us that school is worthless and education is for squares, decides to explain the history of history in cute little cold war soundbites. Eh. Thanks for the dime store insight, but no thanks.

But then again, I admit I'm a history snob. :)

Henry, as someone who is a history snob (medieval history) myself, I have to ask you this question.....

Would you rather have people get the dime store insight, and possibly become interested in learning more, or have them never know anything about the topic at all?

I constantly end up correcting people on their misinformation about medieval history and society; but I'd still rather have them go to somewhere like Higgins Armory here in Worcester (nice armor & weapons... awful commentary on it) and at least be exposed to it than to not know anything about it.

Probably my favorite Billy Joel song of all time.

Just one more thing I disagree with MSF about and agree with Henry about.

That song sucks. If you want a good Billy Joel song go with Piano Man, Captain Jack, or Billy the Kid.

Just one more thing I disagree with MSF about and agree with Henry about.

That song sucks. If you want a goo Billy Joel song go with Piano Man, Captain Jack, or Billy the Kid.

I enjoy Piano Man but the other's are never going to be in my iPod. I probably enjoy We Didn't Start the Fire because of its historical event references, which is something I enjoy; even if not every history buf (like Henry) does.

Henry, as someone who is a history snob (medieval history) myself, I have to ask you this question.....

Would you rather have people get the dime store insight, and possibly become interested in learning more, or have them never know anything about the topic at all?

I constantly end up correcting people on their misinformation about medieval history and society; but I'd still rather have them go to somewhere like Higgins Armory here in Worcester (nice armor & weapons... awful commentary on it) and at least be exposed to it than to not know anything about it.

That's not a bad point. But I guess if someone's going to lecture me on the significance of historical events, I'd rather it not be a guy who spent the first half of his career glorifying the fact that he never graduated from high school.

But hey, if it gets other people interested in 20th century history, so much the better. I still cringe every time I hear the song.

I do have to say that the flash video from that link it pretty entertaining.

That's not a bad point. But I guess if someone's going to lecture me on the significance of historical events, I'd rather it not be a guy who spent the first half of his career glorifying the fact that he never graduated from high school.

But hey, if it gets other people interested in 20th century history, so much the better. I still cringe every time I hear the song.

That's something it took me a long time to understand as well, Henry. I used to cringe and argue with the guides at certain museums and other locations that are "teaching" medieval history. They seem to be wrong more often than they're right.

However, over time it became clear to me that if the museum got people interested in medieval history and then they came to a group like the SCA looking for more information, we can then correct the massive pile of errors they've been taught and move on from there.

It still frustrates me to a certain degree, but I've learned that sometimes even the worst details can be worth it if they get people interested in the general topic.

That's something it took me a long time to understand as well, Henry. I used to cringe and argue with the guides at certain museums and other locations that are "teaching" medieval history. They seem to be wrong more often than they're right.

However, over time it became clear to me that if the museum got people interested in medieval history and then they came to a group like the SCA looking for more information, we can then correct the massive pile of errors they've been taught and move on from there.

It still frustrates me to a certain degree, but I've learned that sometimes even the worst details can be worth it if they get people interested in the general topic.

I agree with that standpoint. I've always been taught that the best way to change or expose someone's views to something different is to give them a little snippet. If they choose to know more, they will come back to you for more or find out more themselves.

While many of us may know what most of those images/words mean in that song, I'm sure a really high percentage of Americans would not know what 50% of those scenes discussed are.

Archived