Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jaguars' Jones faces felony drug charge, suspected of cocaine possession

JimmyConway

you can't fool me that easily! :silly: I am a fan of rick rolling people, so I've gotten into the habit of scrolling over links before I click them. That being said however, I couldn't resist clicking on it after I saw what the link was. :laugh: :applause:

A clever Cowboy fan eh?

Well, I'll get you when you least expect it.

:evil:

What What What??? Are we not going to allow him to turn his life around like some other player who some now proclaim as one of the best to ever play, a hero, and man who left his troubled times behind him.

Does Matt Jones not deserve the same opportunity? Be it drugs or guns?

Antwaan Randle El?

Drafted at the tail end of the second round - #62, never expected to be anything more than a slot receiver and, perhaps more primarily, a kickoff returner. Best move for Randle El in terms of being utilized, as he was 5'10" and therefore a bit too small to be an everyday QB. Moreover, Steelers had designs on using him for trick plays (see: Super Bowl XL) and moving him around on the field, and also had a REPUTATION for selecting players that were multitalented in this sort of vein. (See: Kordell Stewart, Hines Ward)

Matt Jones = Drafted #21 (thanks DMH28, I stand corrected) by the Jags, expected to come in and immediately fill a hole at #1 or #2 despite never having played receiver before. At 6'6", 240, I'd have to hazard a guess that size wasn't the issue that kept Jones from receiving any reps at QB. It had more to do with said team's man-crush on one Byron Leftwich...and we all know how that turned out.

Also, experience comes into play. Most receivers that played receiver in college don't blossom until their 3rd or 4th year in the NFL (see: Braylon Edwards). Therefore, for a guy that only started playing receiver at the NFL level, you'd expect the learning curve to be that much greater.

ARE: 7th Year in League as of 2008. Judging by last season (51 rec, ~750 yds), I'd say he's pretty much gotten the hang of it.

M. Jones: 4th Year in League as of 2008. Can you say that he truly ever got a chance? But, he was drafted in the 1st round based on athletic ability (which he no doubt has) and not on his skill at the position.

There are differences, my friend. There are differences.

Drafted at the tail end of the second round - #62, never expected to be anything more than a slot receiver and, perhaps more primarily, a kickoff returner. Best move for Randle El in terms of being utilized, as he was 5'10" and therefore a bit too small to be an everyday QB. Moreover, Steelers had designs on using him for trick plays (see: Super Bowl XL) and moving him around on the field, and also had a REPUTATION for selecting players that were multitalented in this sort of vein. (See: Kordell Stewart, Hines Ward)

Matt Jones = Drafted #21 (thanks DMH28, I stand corrected) by the Jags, expected to come in and immediately fill a hole at #1 or #2 despite never having played receiver before. At 6'6", 240, I'd have to hazard a guess that size wasn't the issue that kept Jones from receiving any reps at QB. It had more to do with said team's man-crush on one Byron Leftwich...and we all know how that turned out.

Also, experience comes into play. Most receivers that played receiver in college don't blossom until their 3rd or 4th year in the NFL (see: Braylon Edwards). Therefore, for a guy that only started playing receiver at the NFL level, you'd expect the learning curve to be that much greater.

ARE: 7th Year in League as of 2008. Judging by last season (51 rec, ~750 yds), I'd say he's pretty much gotten the hang of it.

M. Jones: 4th Year in League as of 2008. Can you say that he truly ever got a chance? But, he was drafted in the 1st round based on athletic ability (which he no doubt has) and not on his skill at the position.

There are differences, my friend. There are differences.

I know there's a difference, but you asked why they would draft a QB at WR, and I came up with another example. It doesn't matter what Pittsburgh initial intent was whether it was gadget plays or not, Randle El became their #2 WR and parlayed that into a fat contract. But I do see your point.

I know there's a difference, but you asked why they would draft a QB at WR, and I came up with another example. It doesn't matter what Pittsburgh initial intent was whether it was gadget plays or not, Randle El became their #2 WR and parlayed that into a fat contract. But I do see your point.

With all due respect, I'm not sure you do. Because my point isn't that they shouldn't have drafted a QB and expected him to be a WR.

My point was that they shouldn't have used a 1st-round pick to draft someone to had never played receiver before and expect him to step in as a #1 and put up huge numbers the first three years of his career. That wasn't the expectation. And, ARE is a #2 with US. He was a slot man for his entire tenure with the Steelers. He probably should have been the #2 guy in his last year with the Steelers, but they didn't want to do so.

ARE was drafted in 2002, when Pittsburgh had Plaxico Burress and Hines Ward. ARE only became a #2 when Plaxico Burress bolted for New York. And only briefly. When the '05 playoffs ran around, Cedrick Wilson caught 26 balls for 451 yards. They were going to hand him the starting position back again in '06 with essentially no training camp battle. Fortunately for Randle El, he signed with us. Unfortunately for Randle El, we signed Brandon Lloyd days before and everyone was man-crushing on him at that point. So Randle El was a #3 again. This year was really the first chance that Randle El had to be a #2 on a long-term basis.

What What What??? Are we not going to allow him to turn his life around like some other player who some now proclaim as one of the best to ever play, a hero, and man who left his troubled times behind him.

Thank you. People need to put down the pitchforks and torches. Sometimes a 25 year old with millions of dollars can make a mistake. it's whether or not he can learn from it that should be the issue.

Of course he does but the thing is he wasn't that great to begin with. Now teams have to consider his drug use when evaluating him. I'm thinking he just halved the length of his career.

Archived