Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McCain Says He Would Balance Budget by 2013

ChocolateCitySkin

McCain Says He Would Balance Budget by 2013

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/07/AR2008070702322.html?hpid=topnews

McCain Touts Plan to Create Jobs, Help Workers

Republican presidential candidate John McCain is touting his plan to help the U.S. economy. McCain is pledging to cut taxes and encourage free trade.

»

In his first public event since shuffling his campaign leadership last week, McCain gave a speech in Denver before holding a town-hall meeting that aides said would focus on "Jobs for America."

"At its core, the economy isn't the sum of an array of bewildering statistics," he told the crowd. "It's about where Americans work, how they live, how they pay their bills today and save for tomorrow. It's about small businesses opening their doors, hiring employees and growing."

At the same time, McCain's campaign released a document detailing his already announced economic proposals: more offshore oil drilling and a gas-tax holiday; aggressive efforts to control government spending; lower taxes for businesses and individuals; new energy research; and tax credits to spur a private health insurance market.

His promise to balance the budget within four years brought him full circle. Earlier this year, he had chosen his words carefully on the topic, saying only that he would accomplish the task by the end of eight years, should he be elected and reelected.

Yesterday, he pledged that "the near-term path to balance is built on three principles: reasonable economic growth, comprehensive spending controls, and bipartisanship in budget efforts."

ad_icon

In the economic white paper his campaign released yesterday, he acknowledges that "the only way to keep the budget balanced is successful reform of the large spending pressures in Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid." But he did not offer details about how he would achieve those reforms.

McCain has said he would control the deficit with economic growth and by reducing wasteful spending in the military and in discretionary programs.

Democrats immediately criticized McCain, asserting that his promise is unrealistic, given his stated goals of tax cuts and other government spending. Sen. Barack Obama accused his rival of peddling tired economic policies.

"John McCain's policies are essentially a repeat, a regurgitation of what we've been hearing from the Republican Party over the last two decades, maybe three," he said. "It's part of the reason that we're in the situation that we find ourselves in right now."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

damn mccain ya making lots of promises...

Whys it gotta be white?

You racist!

Apologies if you were genuinely offended. (I assume you're kidding, but when can never be too sure these days.)

It was just a euphemism used by the Germans to describe the objective of their attack on the French town of Verdun during WWI. And most of the French were white. So that's where it comes from.

Apologies if you were genuinely offended. (I assume you're kidding, but when can never be too sure these days.)

It was just a euphemism used by the Germans to describe the objective of their attack on the French town of Verdun during WWI. And most of the French were white. So that's where it comes from.

Is that true? If so, interesting.

Anyway, from http://groups.google.com/group/rrnd/browse_thread/thread/3948cf38b3a0f1b5

from http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Vote2008/story?id=5321298&page=1

I don't see anything particularly "bold" about promising to take

four years to do what most Americans do once a week or so

Is that true? If so, interesting.

Anyway, from http://groups.google.com/group/rrnd/browse_thread/thread/3948cf38b3a0f1b5

using the article from http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Vote2008/story?id=5321298&page=1

I don't see anything particularly "bold" about promising to take

four years to do what most Americans do once a week or so

:laugh:

Now that is class.

No apology needed, I'm half Irish half Italian--all white.

Just jokes.

Archived