Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Advice thread for rookie football coach

Zguy28

So I'm gonna be coaching for the first time this fall in Pop-Warner (age 5-7). My seven year old is playing for the first time also.

(We just finished flag football season and he had 8 rushing touchdowns in 6 games and one passing TD.:D )

I need advice on drills and stuff, especially for defense which is where my main focus is. I have another coach helping me who is very talented on offense.

I remember a few drills from my youth, but still...

Suggestions? Links?

Simplicity. And teaching them to focus.

Getting kids that age to have the right stance, line up in the correct place and watch the ball is 90% (at least).

If you have many beginners and the refs are in anyway enforcing the rules, most plays will be blown dead in the first few games of the season due to either a false start or offside from the defense.

Teaching them how to hit and tackle.

Pursue the ball until the play is over.

Stress the fundamentals a lot, but in a nice way. You need to get them to learn the correct way of playing at that age so it becomes natural down the road. Teach a good D-line stance, linebacker stance...etc.

Also, make practice a lot of fun, so the kids look foreward to coming, not dread it

at that age, it's all fundamentals, concepts of team work and strategy, discipline, practice habits, etc.

if you can teach 5 year olds where to line up, proper stance, proper position technique, proper tackling technique and a few basic plays, you should consider it a success.

oh, and make sure to make it fun.

Archived