Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Columbia, SC Skins fans...

Skins&Terps07

Yeah, Skins fans are in the Hill but still no good place to watch. There's that fake Irish place near Cherry Park in the shopping plaza where the Winn Dixie used to be, but what is there past that? I couldn't dig up much with the Ticket.

I didn't find a good spot in Cola to watch. I took in a few games at Jillian's down in the Vista near Adluh Flour, but that was about it. Hope the Ale House works out better. In Raleigh, Hi5 was a great bar with a real Skins fan club, but SC isn't quite so lucky in my experience. Bobby Hartin's in Charleston is the closest I've seen to having a good group of Skins fans in SC.

Btw, unless he's going to school to learn 'bout Holsteins or, well, anything to do with math, the OP made the right decision. ;)

I live down that road where the Winn Dixie used to be. Now it's a Compare Foods. The Irish Pub is gone and now it's owned by an hispanic guy. Really nice guy. He bought me a dessert when we went in for my birthday. Haven't really been in since. I went to Picasso's in Charlotte last year and met some Skins fans, but to tell you the truth, only about 1 or 2 were friendly. Most people didn't even talk to my wife and I and we tried to strike up conversations. It was a bad experience and unless someone in here frequents that place and will tell me the people are friendlier, I'll stay home and watch "the ticket."

Yeah, Skins fans are in the Hill but still no good place to watch. There's that fake Irish place near Cherry Park in the shopping plaza where the Winn Dixie used to be, but what is there past that? I couldn't dig up much with the Ticket.

I didn't find a good spot in Cola to watch. I took in a few games at Jillian's down in the Vista near Adluh Flour, but that was about it. Hope the Ale House works out better. In Raleigh, Hi5 was a great bar with a real Skins fan club, but SC isn't quite so lucky in my experience. Bobby Hartin's in Charleston is the closest I've seen to having a good group of Skins fans in SC.

Btw, unless he's going to school to learn 'bout Holsteins or, well, anything to do with math, the OP made the right decision. ;)

too bad i didnt know all that for the year i was at winthrop before transferring to clemson...

Just like Clemson fans to misread the thread title. It says COLUMBIA, SC Skins Fans...not Clemson, Easley, Mauldin, Spartanburg, Greenville, Greer or Anderson Skins Fans. You're forgiven, tho, I know they don't teach that kind of stuff to you in TigerTown.

Actually, Columbia used to be rabid Skins territory in the pre-Panther days. The Falcons were a distant second popularity-wise back then . But, like an earlier post already pointed out, the Panthers got crammed down our throats and regionally televised games just about always favor the Panthers these days.

(of course, if you want a constant dose of RedskinMania where you live, without the big city traffic, move to the Outer Banks like I did. It's ALWAYS about the Skins here. Every game..televised, the way God intended...and several current and former Skins have houses in the area...plus, the last time someone here mentioned the word "panther" is was in reference to Peter Sellers movies)

That's the one thing I can't stand living in a state without a pro team, the Clemson-USC thing. I've always lived in areas where there were pro teams, and when I see college football fans (not the one's in college, but 40+ year olds with season tickets) acting like it's some kind of religion, I just shake my head.

That's the one thing I can't stand living in a state without a pro team, the Clemson-USC thing. I've always lived in areas where there were pro teams, and when I see college football fans (not the one's in college, but 40+ year olds with season tickets) acting like it's some kind of religion, I just shake my head.

Some people say that about fans of pro teams. College football is just bigger in the South east, particularly the SEC. Atlanta has a pro team, but I bet UGA has a bigger following. All the largest stadiums are collge stadiums ( Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Louisiana all have pro teams, but largest stadiums are college) Redskins have some hardcore tailgaters, I would say more so than other NFL teams, but that is like any college game.

That said I am not into college that much, but am a proud owner of Redskins tickets :D

You're W-A-Y overthinking this thing, man. It's 99% good natured. He didn't fire bomb me and I didn't stab him. Besides, California has several pro teams while the Southern Cal(notice I didn't use "USC")/UCLA rivalry is as contentious as any rivalry. Florida has the Florida/Florida St. rivalry(easily a bigger rivalry on a national scale than USC/Clemson)...yet they have 3 professional teams(if you don't count the 'Canes). The USC/Clemson rivalry is cut of the same cloth as the Alabama/Auburn rivalry in that Alabama doesn't have a pro team, either. And each of the above named schools have been on suspension or probation far more than USC and Clemson combined, so please spare me the soap box sermon on major college football programs engendering a near "religious" fervor amongst their fans...college aged or "40+".

You're W-A-Y overthinking this thing, man. It's 99% good natured. He didn't fire bomb me and I didn't stab him. Besides, California has several pro teams while the Southern Cal(notice I didn't use "USC")/UCLA rivalry is as contentious as any rivalry. Florida has the Florida/Florida St. rivalry(easily a bigger rivalry on a national scale than USC/Clemson)...yet they have 3 professional teams(if you don't count the 'Canes). The USC/Clemson rivalry is cut of the same cloth as the Alabama/Auburn rivalry in that Alabama doesn't have a pro team, either. And each of the above named schools have been on suspension or probation far more than USC and Clemson combined, so please spare me the soap box sermon on major college football programs engendering a near "religious" fervor amongst their fans...college aged or "40+".

And you are WAY overthinking what I'm saying. I went to school in Memphis, the only place I've lived in without a pro team, (no grizz then) and what I was saying is, that it has always been hard for me to see people living and dying with a college team. The players only stay for 3 or 4 yrs in football and barely 1 year in basketball. They are hinging their sports teams success on 18 and 19 year olds who will never play for them again. At least in pro sports if you find a superstar, there is a chance he will play there for at least 10 years. I understand why regions that don't have pro teams and their reasons for being so involved in them, but I guess college ball doesn't move me as much as the pro game. I do get the Panthers and Bobcats here being only 20 miles from Charlotte, but I just can't pour my heart into the Terps and my Memphis Tigers like I can the Skins.

The players only stay for 3 or 4 yrs in football and barely 1 year in basketball. They are hinging their sports teams success on 18 and 19 year olds who will never play for them again. At least in pro sports if you find a superstar, there is a chance he will play there for at least 10 years.

It's a two-way street. While you may not have players staying for 10 years, you do have coaches who stay for 30+ years. You definitely don't have that in the NFL. How many hopes did you hinge on Joe Gibbs, he was only here for a handful of years the second time around.

College fans put their faith in the tradition of their program and the longevity of coaches in the league. NFL puts faith in its superstars and front office to bring in the right personnel.

And you are WAY overthinking what I'm saying. I went to school in Memphis, the only place I've lived in without a pro team, (no grizz then) and what I was saying is, that it has always been hard for me to see people living and dying with a college team. The players only stay for 3 or 4 yrs in football and barely 1 year in basketball. They are hinging their sports teams success on 18 and 19 year olds who will never play for them again. At least in pro sports if you find a superstar, there is a chance he will play there for at least 10 years. I understand why regions that don't have pro teams and their reasons for being so involved in them, but I guess college ball doesn't move me as much as the pro game. I do get the Panthers and Bobcats here being only 20 miles from Charlotte, but I just can't pour my heart into the Terps and my Memphis Tigers like I can the Skins.

No offense man, but HitStick hit it on the head when he mentioned "college tradition". It's not so much about the players as it is the programs. Many states with college rivalries(both with and without pro teams) have a huge population of people who remain in the state. Part and parcel of their lives in their respective states revolve in one way or another around those colleges in those states...from satellite campuses, to non-attendee "civilian" jobs, academia, sports, etc. Those schools, for better or worse, are far more familiar and immediate to them than other schools in other areas. They develop an allegiance to those schools. How do you think they developed those allegiances? From people that went before..i.e. parents, grandparents, friends, relatives, business associates, et al, that's how. There are hundreds of thousands of sports fans that have the very "team fever" that you describe that never even set foot on the campus of the schools they worship. In many cases, generations of families have passed on and continued this traditonal team spirit as the years passed. It becomes part of your identity and background in most cases.

And I'm not so sure that pro teams have that much of an impact on anything other than the revenue available to all teams (pro and college). I've never seen anyone college aged or older that ever got a tattoo of a college player's name or number on their body. Since Sean Taylor was murdered, I've seen 11. Not my cup of tea (I'd probably would have gotten our local groundskeeper that lines the local high school football field to spray paint a memorial on my front yard if I'd thought about it), but, then again, to each his own. I mention this to illustrate that college programs don't have a monopoly on fervent football fanbases. Pro teams represent that category quite well, I think. :cheers:

Hey, I lived in Columbia for the Past 4 years. I attended Benedict College. I got sick of sitting in my car and listening to the game on Sirrius Radio when it wasn't on TV. I went out and got DirecTV and got the Sunday Ticket. There is a Fraternity of Redskins Fans in Columbia. Everytime i wear the apparell or something i always get stopped, honked at, or HAIL! This is certainly SKIN's Country!

The Irish Pub is gone and now it's owned by an hispanic guy. Really nice guy. He bought me a dessert when we went in for my birthday. Haven't really been in since.

That stinks. I spent way too long looking for a bar with Sunday Ticket the last time I was back in town. Sorry to hear the place shut down. Dang it.

You'd think Rock Hill would be big enough to field a decent sports bar or two.

too bad i didnt know all that for the year i was at winthrop before transferring to clemson...

Well, if you're interested in Holsteins, like I said... ;)

Btw, Bailey's near Irmo is a pretty good spot if you're in Cola and want to watch Skins. Caught a few fans in jerseys out there when I went.

Just like Clemson fans to misread the thread title. It says COLUMBIA, SC Skins Fans...not Clemson, Easley, Mauldin, Spartanburg, Greenville, Greer or Anderson Skins Fans. You're forgiven, tho, I know they don't teach that kind of stuff to you in TigerTown.
ACTUALLY, i used to go to cola all the time cuz usc and winthrop were the only two school i applied to out of hs. and i have dated like 5 girls from usc so i went there to visit all the time. so i can still comment on it being that i know the area. ;) yet ill still criticize his choice of schools, just cuz i can. haha

and how come you didnt add the rock hill fans to your list? they arent columbia, sc skins fans. so wheres the hate for them???

and how come you didnt add the rock hill fans to your list? they arent columbia, sc skins fans. so wheres the hate for them???

Two reasons, actually, #1-I used to date several Winthrop girls and, I'll have to say, that's the main reason I didn't include Rock Hill in my list. The #2 reason is that Rock Hill isn't in the general Clemson vicinity...it's due north of Columbia and all the others are northwest of Columbia. I did, however, give a break to Laurens, Simpsonville, Travelers Rest, Belton-Honea Path, Williamston and Pickens. But, then again, the list is so long, I could only give the Cliff's Notes' version of it. Worry not, my Tiggerific friend, there's plenty of good old Carolina/Clemson Hatorade to go around for everyone in the Upstate.

:wavetowel

first off you are probably one of the luckiest kids in the world to be heading to usc. i graduated from there 2 years ago and still can't get enough of it.

while down there whenever games wern't on tv me and my buddies would head to damon's or some sports bar. senior year though we chipped in and got the ticket which was well worth it.

hopefully you made the right choice and will be living in bates house, by far the best dorm. anyways, have fun the next 4 years (maybe more if you plan it right) it's a hell of a time.

hopefully you made the right choice and will be living in bates house' date=' by far the best dorm. anyways, have fun the next 4 years (maybe more if you plan it right) it's a hell of a time.[/quote']

WORD to the Mofo!!! Nothing (and I mean NOTHING) beats a co-ed dorm...especially Bates House. Alfred Hitch**** can have Norman Bates, I'll take Bates House anytime. Good call. :applause:

It's a two-way street. While you may not have players staying for 10 years, you do have coaches who stay for 30+ years. You definitely don't have that in the NFL. How many hopes did you hinge on Joe Gibbs, he was only here for a handful of years the second time around.

College fans put their faith in the tradition of their program and the longevity of coaches in the league. NFL puts faith in its superstars and front office to bring in the right personnel.

I see what you are saying, but in regards to Gibbs, I was only expecting the 5 years. But there will always be examples of the Bowdens and the Paternos, but there will be the Sabans (3rd team) and Meyers (3rd team) that will counteract that. In the NFL you had Landry, Shula and Noll, but in today's NFL it is very unlikely you see a Fisher who sticks with the same team.

No offense man, but HitStick hit it on the head when he mentioned "college tradition". It's not so much about the players as it is the programs. Many states with college rivalries(both with and without pro teams) have a huge population of people who remain in the state. Part and parcel of their lives in their respective states revolve in one way or another around those colleges in those states...from satellite campuses, to non-attendee "civilian" jobs, academia, sports, etc. Those schools, for better or worse, are far more familiar and immediate to them than other schools in other areas. They develop an allegiance to those schools. How do you think they developed those allegiances? From people that went before..i.e. parents, grandparents, friends, relatives, business associates, et al, that's how. There are hundreds of thousands of sports fans that have the very "team fever" that you describe that never even set foot on the campus of the schools they worship. In many cases, generations of families have passed on and continued this traditonal team spirit as the years passed. It becomes part of your identity and background in most cases.

And I'm not so sure that pro teams have that much of an impact on anything other than the revenue available to all teams (pro and college). I've never seen anyone college aged or older that ever got a tattoo of a college player's name or number on their body. Since Sean Taylor was murdered, I've seen 11. Not my cup of tea (I'd probably would have gotten our local groundskeeper that lines the local high school football field to spray paint a memorial on my front yard if I'd thought about it), but, then again, to each his own. I mention this to illustrate that college programs don't have a monopoly on fervent football fanbases. Pro teams represent that category quite well, I think. :cheers:

Fair enough. Like I said, I guess I can't put my heart/soul/faith in a college program. I've always been about the pro game over college any day. If the Redskins were playing the SB the same day the Terps were playing for the national championship, guess which one I'd be watching? Now if Clemson was playing for the national championship the same day as the Panthers were in the SB, no question the college fans will watch the Tigers.

That stinks. I spent way too long looking for a bar with Sunday Ticket the last time I was back in town. Sorry to hear the place shut down. Dang it.

You'd think Rock Hill would be big enough to field a decent sports bar or two.

Problem was, up until last year, there were no alcohol sales on Sunday, so the only places you could go was in Charlotte. You can sell alcohol on Sundays now, as long as you are within the city limits. It will take a while for any bars to open up around here.

I really disagree with this statement. College football rivalries are fun, and in many cases a 100+ year tradition. Its bigger than the players, it's the institutions themselves. Plus, IMO, there seems to be more purity in college football - no contract, holding out for money non-sense. Don't get me wrong, all HAIL the Redskins, but the Clemson vs. S. Carolina rivalry is an American classic.

Oh, and the Tigers own the record! Here's hoping we get Ricky Sapp (DE) in next year's draft. It will be the third year in a row I hope and pray that the Redskins get a Clemson DE - Gaines Adams, and Philip Merling were the other two. Clemson is quickly becoming the premire school for the DE position. Remember the name D'Quan Bowers - the kid is a beast, and should be in the NFL in 3 years.

AMEN!!! I have it even worse I live down here in Conway and work for our football team. Coastal Carolina. My first two years here we had people who work for the program with USC or Clemson stuff on, on GAME DAYS!! AH! I mean come on Virginia Va Tech is important but USC Clemson is stupid important. Even better they both havent won anything meaningful in decades!

AMEN!!! I have it even worse I live down here in Conway and work for our football team. Coastal Carolina. My first two years here we had people who work for the program with USC or Clemson stuff on, on GAME DAYS!! AH! I mean come on Virginia Va Tech is important but USC Clemson is stupid important. Even better they both havent won anything meaningful in decades!

And, um, how's that bowl quest going at Coastal? ;)

Don't forget you guys play the Tiggers on Halloween this year. On the bright side, you'll have more people with Clemson gear on than the Chanticleer athletic program employees for a change.

GO, YOU HAIRY CHANTICLEERS!!!!!!!!!

:notworthy

Archived